Sad State of The Grand Floridian

Hockey89

Not necessarily. They don’t always make out on that concept.

However...the difference in quality from a $150 stay at Bellagio recently compared to any Disney hotel was laughable on a scale that’s hard to explain.
Bellagio is a great spot... Venetian is one of my favs because of the room size... Huge. Rooms are cheap in Vegas because they just want your butt out there... Once they have you, you will give up your coin..

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Bellagio is a great spot... Venetian is one of my favs because of the room size... Huge. Rooms are cheap in Vegas because they just want your butt out there... Once they have you, you will give up your coin..
Gambling is voluntary...food and show are a more discerning choice.

Venetian turns me off a little because of the mall and the mess out front.

Joeamc

In the past year, I've stayed at the Floridan twice, Outer building club and main building club, and have really noticed how run down the "flagship" resort is. The hard goods in the room are really worn down furniture scratches, peeling wallpaper, chipped paint, and a bathroom that 1989 wants back. The buildings themselves have worn carpeting, peeling and chipped paint, and just feel worn and over used.

The Cast Members are still top notch, but having visited Grand Destino Tower and seeing what a new Disney Hotel is capable of, the flagship WDW resort doesn't feel so special anymore. There have been rumors of a total gut job coming to GF, hopefully this resort can get some much needed updating (sans IP) so it doesn't feel like it's 30 years old.
Last time I stayed at GF was in 2015 and I felt exactly what you are describing now. Probably is even worse now. I own DVC at BLT so usually stay there. With the last renovation they completed at Contemporary and "soft goods" and carpets in BLT rooms, the resort rooms look great now. Hopefully they do some renovating at GF soon.

Last edited:

WeWantsTheRedHead

Renovation is every 10 years for Hilton, and every 12 years for Marriott. Disney does not follow the industry standard, which isn't surprising given that they push DVC memberships and not hotel guests/rewards systems.

I was fortunate to have stayed at all the Disney resorts in the 1980s and 1990s when they were new and beautiful. Now that I work for a hotel management company that owns Hilton and Marriott properties, I've stayed at the Hilton (across from Disney Springs), the Buena Vista Palace (a Hilton), the Dolphin (a Sheraton) and the Swan (a Westin). They felt just as fun as any Disney property, I was still right in the middle of it all and my rates are never over $89 a night. They are better maintained, which is easier considering Hilton and Marriott renovate much sooner than Disney.

Hockey89

Not necessarily. They don’t always make out on that concept.

However...the difference in quality from a $150 stay at Bellagio recently compared to any Disney hotel was laughable on a scale that’s hard to explain.
Heading to Vegas this weekend myself, stayed at both Bellagio and Venetian in the past, but am making a return trip to Vdara this time, huge rooms, not noisy and catwalk into Bellagio.
staying at Aria next year. Vdara good pick.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Gambling is voluntary...food and show are a more discerning choice.

Venetian turns me off a little because of the mall and the mess out front.

You actually go outside ? I usually only see the elevator lobby in the Palazzo, then maybe the edge of the mall heading to a show. Resort to resort only via car because Vegas is a freak show .

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You actually go outside ? I usually only see the elevator lobby in the Palazzo, then maybe the edge of the mall heading to a show. Resort to resort only via car because Vegas is a freak show .
Well if you’re not staying at Venetian, you have no choice. That’s really why I don’t like it.

I like Bellagio and Wynn much better. More tasteful in the nonsense department

jmargarone27

Does anyone notice how the whole “flagship” tag line that always went with the Grand Floridian has kind of disappeared over the years? I mean I remember the monorail spiel said “our flagship resort,” the websites always made sure to say flagship, etc. I don’t see that term used much anymore when describing the GF. I think they stopped using it because maybe people were turned off by it? I only stay at the GF when visiting the World, but I can understand why having that term “flagship” may come off elitist and deter people from wanting to stay there.

SeaCastle

Does anyone notice how the whole “flagship” tag line that always went with the Grand Floridian has kind of disappeared over the years? I mean I remember the monorail spiel said “our flagship resort,” the websites always made sure to say flagship, etc. I don’t see that term used much anymore when describing the GF. I think they stopped using it because maybe people were turned off by it? I only stay at the GF when visiting the World, but I can understand why having that term “flagship” may come off elitist and deter people from wanting to stay there.

The history of WDW has continually shown that if disney upcharges something people will continue to get in line and hand over their money.
I do agree that the "flagship" descriptor seems to have dropped but not sure if occupancy was the problem and not sure how we would know w out occupancy stats. IMO it's hard to justify the rate when the hotel has seen so little investment - they got marble floors w disney characters and a new pool years ago, right? Is the GF truly a "luxury" hotel compared to other on property deluxes?

Disone

The point is I do Disney not just some stupid boring hotel (I can drive 10 miles from home and be at a Four Seasons) , when I cross under that sign I want Disney, Disney theme Disney transportation , I want that entire 9 days to be Disney. I would choose Wilderness lodge over the Grand Floridian or the Four Seasons, but my point is I do Disney not some stupid chain hotel. I want Disney cast members, Disney Theme, Disney. If I want to go to just a nice hotel I have tons of choices right here at home. When I go to Disney , I want all Disney. I did not like the Contemporary because it just did not feel Disney enough, I felt like I was just staying at a nice hotel.
This is not you're four seasons. You probably should go and visit before you judge it as a boring regular Hotel. Because it's anything but that. Is vastly superior to any of the Disney Resorts on all levels. Remove the Grand Floridian from the Magic Kingdom resort area and you have a pretty hotel that doesn't have much to offer. Remove the Orlando Four Seasons from the Walt Disney World Resort and you have a stunning Resort that has plenty to offer. I seriously encourage you to go and check it out. From its fireworks chandelier in the lobby to its impeccably maintained Landscaping from its great selection of restaurants t
to it's absolutely expansive and themed pool areas, The Four Seasons Orlando truly is on a higher caliber Resort on a price point that has competitive and often lower than a Disney deluxe hotel. And if you think it doesn't have any Disney in it, you are in for a pleasant surprise.

Now does it take you to a time and a place that feels like a Disney theme park, no I'm not going to say it does that. But then again I'm not sure the enchanted Rose brings you to the Victorian era Beach Resort in its prime.

Hockey89

This is not you're four seasons. You probably should go and visit before you judge it as a boring regular Hotel. Because it's anything but that. Is vastly superior to any of the Disney Resorts on all levels. Remove the Grand Floridian from the Magic Kingdom resort area and you have a pretty hotel that doesn't have much to offer. Remove the Orlando Four Seasons from the Walt Disney World Resort and you have a stunning Resort that has plenty to offer. I seriously encourage you to go and check it out. From its fireworks chandelier in the lobby to its impeccably maintained Landscaping from its great selection of restaurants t
to it's absolutely expansive and themed pool areas, The Four Seasons Orlando truly is on a higher caliber Resort on a price point that has competitive and often lower than a Disney deluxe hotel. And if you think it doesn't have any Disney in it, you are in for a pleasant surprise.

Now does it take you to a time and a place that feels like a Disney theme park, no I'm not going to say it does that. But then again I'm not sure the enchanted Rose brings you to the Victorian era Beach Resort in its prime.
👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼
A stupid boring hotel is probably one of the dumbest most inaccurate descriptions I’ve read. Clueless

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

I totally agree but I wouldn't call any of the hotels "boring"

It's not supposed to be a 4 seasons. why the comparison?? You are paying for location and staying inside of the Disney bubble. I have stayed at the 4 seasons and it in no way feels the same, yes it has a sprinkling of Disney but and this is just my opinion it feels like any other four seasons.

My late husband and I would stay there when we wanted serious couple time but no way would we pick that when we wanted family disney time. I do love their (4 seasons) spa though lol and could happily live there

Hockey89

It's not supposed to be a 4 seasons. why the comparison?? You are paying for location and staying inside of the Disney bubble. I have stayed at the 4 seasons and it in no way feels the same, yes it has a sprinkling of Disney but and this is just my opinion it feels like any other four seasons.

My late husband and I would stay there when we wanted serious couple time but no way would we pick that when we wanted family disney time.
why the comparison? That’s pretty much what this board is about. Discuss topics. Compare and contrast. Likes and dislikes. I feel no more Magical at the beach club than the four seasons for this “mythical” bubble.

eliza61nyc

why the comparison? That’s pretty much what this board is about. Discuss topics. Compare and contrast. Likes and dislikes. I feel no more Magical at the beach club than the four seasons for this “mythical” bubble.
ok, that's the personal opinion. I love the beach club, purchased my dvc membership there because I feel in love with it. for me it depends on the type of trip I'm taking. If I want a romantic getaway with my honey bunny yes I prefer the 4 seasons but if I want a "disney" type vacation, I prefer the disney deluxe.
I did not realize that the GF was in some sort of competition with the 4 seasons, that's all. I was just wondering why you were comparing it to the 4 seasons.

for you it's "mythical", for me it's very real.

no harm, no foul

Hockey89

ok, that's the personal opinion. I love the beach club, purchased my dvc membership there because I feel in love with it. for me it depends on the type of trip I'm taking. If I want a romantic getaway with my honey bunny yes I prefer the 4 seasons but if I want a "disney" type vacation, I prefer the disney deluxe.
I did not realize that the GF was in some sort of competition with the 4 seasons, that's all.

for you it's "mythical", for me it's very real. no harm, no foul
The beach club is the only other place I stay. The walking to two parks is nice. I do like walking the boardwalk at night. Very cool. Besides that, I Uber everywhere. Online check in and have little interaction with the staff. To call the Four seasons just another hotel like the poster is wrong. Most Four Seasons I have stayed at are in cities and don’t have the grounds. The pools. The view of the fireworks.

Disone

I think it is natural to compare. I feel comfortable sharing that Disney certainly looks at how the Grand Compares to the Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, and other similar properties in they area.

There is absolute validity in staying inside the bubble and location. Not going argue against that but the Grand is going after the same dollars the Four Seasons is.

If you like storm along bay, there is only one resort pool I think is better then they outstanding yatch and beach pool and yes, that is the Four Seasons.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom