Sad State of The Grand Floridian

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
In the past year, I've stayed at the Floridan twice, Outer building club and main building club, and have really noticed how run down the "flagship" resort is. The hard goods in the room are really worn down furniture scratches, peeling wallpaper, chipped paint, and a bathroom that 1989 wants back. The buildings themselves have worn carpeting, peeling and chipped paint, and just feel worn and over used.

The Cast Members are still top notch, but having visited Grand Destino Tower and seeing what a new Disney Hotel is capable of, the flagship WDW resort doesn't feel so special anymore. There have been rumors of a total gut job coming to GF, hopefully this resort can get some much needed updating (sans IP) so it doesn't feel like it's 30 years old.
Come on...

You should know better than to pay for “club level”...you’re a bright boy and you should know better.

And I have to dispute your assessment of staff. It is NOT top notch...they don’t allow that because of the can of worms it would open. Nice people, but not properly trained as a whole.

From alL accounts: gran destino is a Marriott. And I love Marriott. Just don’t think the 40% over value cover charge for Disney is worth it
100%.... Not even a fair comparison.... We usually do a split stay there and have to start at the BC first because you can't go the other way....
But the four seasons had quality and service standards...Disney does not adhere to that strategy.

The seasons was built - my belief - directly to serve a clientele that was always unimpressed with the grand Floridian: those that know better.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I thought the Ritz Carlton Grande Lakes Orlando where I stayed during a business convention was tops, but the Four Seasons at Disney takes the top prize. At the Capa Bar, the staff member even said Bob Iger stays at FS when he is in town.
Lol...that figures.

You know where “evil” Michael Eisner stayed?

Boardwalk...with the paupers

eliza61nyc

It should have been on the docket years ago. But hey, as long as visitors keep paying through....
Look I don't know how any hotel Disney or not schedules renovations. Is Disney holding anyone hostage?? I'm not saying op did find any issues, I suspect there is always someone finding fault with every resort.
Yes, if folks are still booking the resort then obviously somebody is liking the joint. Is that what you're mad at, you don't think it's worth the money and others do?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Look I don't know how any hotel Disney or not schedules renovations. Is Disney holding anyone hostage?? I'm not saying op did find any issues, I suspect there is always someone finding fault with every resort.
Yes, if folks are still booking the resort then obviously somebody is liking the joint?
Then don’t claim you supposedly believe they’re on schedule to be refurbished.

And people staying at the hotel doesn’t allow TWDC to abdicate their responsibility to maintain it....

eliza61nyc

Then don’t claim you supposedly believe they’re on schedule to be refurbished.

And people staying at the hotel doesn’t allow TWDC to abdicate their responsibility to maintain it....
Which has absolutely not a darn thing to your argument. Period.

Are you twdc, exactly how do YOU know they are abdicating anything?? Because one poster CLAIMS its sad??

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Which has absolutely not a darn thing to your argument. Period.

Are you twdc, exactly how do YOU know they are abdicating anything?? Because one poster CLAIMS its sad??
Claiming that a resort is “on schedule” for refurbishment isn’t relevant? Then why make the claim?

Because I’m here right now, seeing their standards. And I’m not so blind as to believe one poster is an aberration....

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Claiming that a resort is “on schedule” for refurbishment isn’t relevant? Then why make the claim?

Because I’m here right now, seeing their standards. And I’m not so blind as to believe one poster is an aberration....
Well, if the Skyliner is any reflection of their standards, the refurb might just see WDW remove the A/C from the rooms and rely on "designed airflow."

SeaCastle

In the past year, I've stayed at the Floridan twice, Outer building club and main building club, and have really noticed how run down the "flagship" resort is. The hard goods in the room are really worn down furniture scratches, peeling wallpaper, chipped paint, and a bathroom that 1989 wants back. The buildings themselves have worn carpeting, peeling and chipped paint, and just feel worn and over used.

The Cast Members are still top notch, but having visited Grand Destino Tower and seeing what a new Disney Hotel is capable of, the flagship WDW resort doesn't feel so special anymore. There have been rumors of a total gut job coming to GF, hopefully this resort can get some much needed updating (sans IP) so it doesn't feel like it's 30 years old.

Do the rooms look like the old decor in the photos here? http://allears.net/grand-floridian-resort-and-spa-photos/

I remember green furniture staying there in 2000 and in my head it looked somehow less dated than the ones pictured here.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Do the rooms look like the old decor in the photos here? http://allears.net/grand-floridian-resort-and-spa-photos/

I remember green furniture staying there in 2000 and in my head it looked somehow less dated than the ones pictured here.
Current room (last refurb was in 2014)

0002899C-BA8D-4421-B218-10C310AB791D.jpeg

EE38F1F2-D3ED-4BB3-9A1C-39C82654F2DF.jpeg

3D466709-0AF6-4572-A284-B94F5CB19901.jpeg

A0DB941E-603C-4A66-A490-62049533D41E.jpeg

Tom P.

I thought the Ritz Carlton Grande Lakes Orlando where I stayed during a business convention was tops, but the Four Seasons at Disney takes the top prize. At the Capa Bar, the staff member even said Bob Iger stays at FS when he is in town.
That sounds like one of those great stories that may or may not be true. Do we have any confirmation of that? Because I find it hard to believe that Iger is actually going to be seen visiting Walt Disney World and not staying at one of the hotels the company owns. The potential for negative PR there is absolutely enormous.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Original Poster
Yes, if folks are still booking the resort then obviously somebody is liking the joint. Is that what you're mad at, you don't think it's worth the money and others do?
Grand Floridian is often the most heavily discounted deluxe resort next to AKL. Consider also that AKL is significantly larger and isolated, while GF is smaller and on the monorail.

Im also not exactly following your line of reasoning on all of this having apparently never stayed at the Grand Floridian itself (not the DVC Villas at Grand Floridian which is separate)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That sounds like one of those great stories that may or may not be true. Do we have any confirmation of that? Because I find it hard to believe that Iger is actually going to be seen visiting Walt Disney World and not staying at one of the hotels the company owns. The potential for negative PR there is absolutely enormous.
Nobody would care...and if you like high end service, then the seasons is the viable option. Don’t forget it’s a partner and they have a character meal...it’s not like he’s staying at royal pacific.
Grand Floridian is often the most heavily discounted deluxe resort next to AKL. Consider also that AKL is significantly larger and isolated, while GF is smaller and on the monorail.

Im also not exactly following your line of reasoning on all of this having apparently never stayed at the Grand Floridian itself (not the DVC Villas at Grand Floridian which is separate)
The deluxes have had heavy discounts available for years...hence the DVC conversions.

The curious thing as always is they continue to raise the price and then heavily discount...proving the rates are completely arbitrary.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Original Poster
Nobody would care...and if you like high end service, then the seasons is the viable option. Don’t forget it’s a partner and they have a character meal...it’s not like he’s staying at royal pacific.

The deluxes have had heavy discounts available for years...hence the DVC conversions.

The curious thing as always is they continue to raise the price and then heavily discount...proving the rates are completely arbitrary.
The Polynesian and the Contemporary are good examples of this and post DVC conversion are now the least discounted. (Mostly through the conversion of cash rooms to points reducing the number of non DVC inventory). Interestingly enough the same outcome did not occur at AKL when they converted sections of the hotel to DVC.

Also remember people pay rack rates still regardless of offered discounts, because they: get free dining, don’t know any better, or want specific room types/locations. Disney knows this and takes advantage of it.

Lilofan

Yea, the Four Seasons bartender must have been tipsy?😄. Negative PR? That's wishful thinking. A successful yet controversial CEO like Iger would be used to the best in accommodations and discreet service and if you ever stay at FS Disney you would see the light. It's truly the best property at WDW.

Jon81uk

Also remember people pay rack rates still regardless of offered discounts, because they: get free dining, don’t know any better, or want specific room types/locations. Disney knows this and takes advantage of it.

Free dining is still a discount, those people aren't really paying "rack rate" Its just that the discount is the value of the dining plan.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom