Sad news: Oceanic Arts closed after 65 years... major contributor of art & carvings for Disneyland, the Polynesian, and Norway pavilion

Beacon Joe

Original Poster
First, happy trails to Bob and LeRoy. May they enjoy their well-deserved retirement!

Second, mods, please do not move this thread. If you read through this, you may realize that Oceanic Arts' history is very much embedded and central to Disney World parks and resorts, as well as other Disney parks. I'd argue that after Walt Disney himself, Bob and LeRoy had the greatest single impact on Disney World's (classic) atmosphere... and many Disney fans may not know much about them. I opened this thread to give them the attention and appreciation they deserve.

Given their impact on Disney parks, I am incredibly bummed and wonder what their retirements and the closure of their store mean for the future of Disney parks and resorts.

Many of you have enjoyed their art in Disney parks and resorts without knowing they were carved in Huntington Beach, CA. Off the top of my head, Oceanic Arts provided most if not all of the original carvings and tikis (both custom and off the rack) at the Polynesian: including the huge tauihu that used to overlook the lobby just next to Tambu Lounge, the gorgeous Marquesan bowl, the tikis in the former restaurant (I don't remember the name) in the longhouse where the laundromat now stands, (I think) all of the Papuan-style masks across the resort, all of the the iconic resort signage and fonts, and the tikis under the eastern stairwell. I assume that the impressive tapas also were sourced from OA. It's safe to say that the entire classic aesthetic of the Polynesian is the largest collection of Oceanic Arts artwork.

OA's carvings and woodwork are all over Disneyland, the Magic Kingdom, and EPCOT.

The original Island Trader store in Disneyland? The structure was designed by Oceanic Arts. And the store itself was effectively an Oceanic Arts retail outlet.

Gate carvings and light fixtures in (AFAIK) all Adventure Lands? Oceanic Arts.

The totem poles in the Canada pavilion? Oceanic Arts.

The stave church? Oceanic Arts.

Woodwork in the Germany pavilion? Oceanic Arts.

Woodwork in the Japan pavilion? Oceanic Arts.

Woodwork in the Morocco pavilion? Oceanic Arts.

Trader Sam's iconic doorway? Oceanic Arts.

Some more reading, with Disney World history:

https://www.oceanicarts.net

EPCOTCenterLover

First, happy trails to Bob and LeRoy. May they enjoy their well-deserved retirement!

Second, mods, please do not move this thread. If you read through this, you may realize that Oceanic Arts' history is very much embedded and central to Disney World parks and resorts, as well as other Disney parks. I'd argue that after Walt Disney himself, Bob and LeRoy had the greatest single impact on Disney World's (classic) atmosphere... and many Disney fans may not know much about them. I opened this thread to give them the attention and appreciation they deserve.

Given their impact on Disney parks, I am incredibly bummed and wonder what their retirements and the closure of their store mean for the future of Disney parks and resorts.

Many of you have enjoyed their art in Disney parks and resorts without knowing they were carved in Huntington Beach, CA. Off the top of my head, Oceanic Arts provided most if not all of the original carvings and tikis (both custom and off the rack) at the Polynesian: including the huge tauihu that used to overlook the lobby just next to Tambu Lounge, the gorgeous Marquesan bowl, the tikis in the former restaurant (I don't remember the name) in the longhouse where the laundromat now stands, (I think) all of the Papuan-style masks across the resort, all of the the iconic resort signage and fonts, and the tikis under the eastern stairwell. I assume that the impressive tapas also were sourced from OA. It's safe to say that the entire classic aesthetic of the Polynesian is the largest collection of Oceanic Arts artwork.

OA's carvings and woodwork are all over Disneyland, the Magic Kingdom, and EPCOT.

The original Island Trader store in Disneyland? The structure was designed by Oceanic Arts. And the store itself was effectively an Oceanic Arts retail outlet.

Gate carvings and light fixtures in (AFAIK) all Adventure Lands? Oceanic Arts.

The totem poles in the Canada pavilion? Oceanic Arts.

The stave church? Oceanic Arts.

Woodwork in the Germany pavilion? Oceanic Arts.

Woodwork in the Japan pavilion? Oceanic Arts.

Woodwork in the Morocco pavilion? Oceanic Arts.

Trader Sam's iconic doorway? Oceanic Arts.

Some more reading, with Disney World history:

https://www.oceanicarts.net

Very sad indeed!

Beacon Joe

Original Poster
Very sad indeed!

Yes. This is hitting the tiki world hard. OA was the best and most comprehensive source for decor and carvings. They are leaving a big hole. Awesome carvers like Bamboo Ben or Crazy Al will fill in some of the gap, but nothing approaches Bob and LeRoy's stunning range and talent.

It gets sadder when I think about the likely impact on park and resort aesthetics, especially when it comes to the Polynesian and any future park refurbs. I keep thinking of how the Poly already stripped away some stunning OA pieces and replaced them with soulless Moana stuff.... sigh.

hopemax

We were able to visit their warehouse in Whittier for the first, and apparently only time in September. Since we had our car, we bought 2 pieces for our Disney Tiki displays, and now are so very glad we did. Best wishes for their retirement, but they filled an important role in that type of themed experiences that won't be so easy to replace.

Beacon Joe

Original Poster
We were able to visit their warehouse in Whittier for the first, and apparently only time in September. Since we had our car, we bought 2 pieces for our Disney Tiki displays, and now are so very glad we did. Best wishes for their retirement, but they filled an important role in that type of themed experiences that won't be so easy to replace.

And it's not just Disney, but their footprints were all over other theme parks and themed spaces like restaurants. I don't know of any other outfit doing anything like them or even approaching the wide variety of what they offered. I would imagine that their stock of set piece rentals will get picked up by another Hollywood supplier. But everything else? There's a British design shop that is like a mini-OA, but domestically, there's nothing. My parochial concern is that now my whole tiki and polynesian pop collecting and designing is going to get a lot more expensive.

But I think the impact is going to be felt for years at Disney and other theme and amusement parks. OA was such a huge part of Disney, I dang near consider them Imagineers, and assume 99% of guests see their work and think it's all from Imagineering.

Given OA's wide array of products, I always wondered if they had any apprentice carvers and how deep the apprentice bench was. Maybe, just maybe, there will be some replacement to fill the niche?

Beacon Joe

Original Poster

You're very lucky. I had hoped to make it out there one day. :( I figure it would have been easier buying stuff there and shipping it to myself rather than dealing with their catalog and sometimes difficult phone sales. :p If you're in CA, you may be interested in knowing that it sounds like a gallery may be hosting an auction for the remaining OA stock next year.

It sounds like this was a pretty sudden decision and on another forum, Bob's daughter relayed that she didn't even know a couple of weeks ago.

I revisited a few more videos on Bob and LeRoy, and jeez, their footprint at the Disney Parks is way more extensive that what I even knew yesterday. Makes me wish I had finished my photography of all the carvings, masks, and artwork at the Polynesian I attempted to do ~ 10 years ago. I really hate to think what Disney has done with all the OA artwork they've removed in recent years.

Last edited:

TikibirdLand

I hope it's not bad form here to resurrect an old thread, and especially one of my own. But I wanted to share this from the first day of Oceanic Arts' farewell events:

Disney fans will spot quite a few familiar things in this video.

Wish I would have a chance to visit their place. Although, I always heard it was strictly B2B. Good news is that Justin created multiple videos of the place and their art. I always wondered about the collaboration between Walt, Rolly, Marc, and the guys at Oceanic Arts. Would love to hear some stories about that.

Anyway, Justin showed a book that's coming about about the place. At least we'll be able to do a virtual tour using the book.

Beacon Joe

Original Poster
Wish I would have a chance to visit their place. Although, I always heard it was strictly B2B. Good news is that Justin created multiple videos of the place and their art. I always wondered about the collaboration between Walt, Rolly, Marc, and the guys at Oceanic Arts. Would love to hear some stories about that.

Anyway, Justin showed a book that's coming about about the place. At least we'll be able to do a virtual tour using the book.

Nope, they also had retail sales and rentals. The only thing was that ordering from them was always a little difficult if you didn't live nearby. (Email to request a catalog - hear nothing. Call to request a catalog, receive one via email. Then call to place an order - and then find out what items aren't in stock. 😁 They were great guys though with great products so I don't say all that to gripe. It was part of the charm).

I would love to hear from Rolly about OA collaborations.

The book looks amazing. My copy's been sitting off the coast of California for I don't even know how long now. 6 months, maybe? LOL. But I expect to receive it sometime this year. Word from a couple of weeks ago was that the ship finally docked in LA, but is still waiting to be unloaded.

TikibirdLand

Nope, they also had retail sales and rentals. The only thing was that ordering from them was always a little difficult if you didn't live nearby. (Email to request a catalog - hear nothing. Call to request a catalog, receive one via email. Then call to place an order - and then find out what items aren't in stock. 😁 They were great guys though with great products so I don't say all that to gripe. It was part of the charm).

I would love to hear from Rolly about OA collaborations.

The book looks amazing. My copy's been sitting off the coast of California for I don't even know how long now. 6 months, maybe? LOL. But I expect to receive it sometime this year. Word from a couple of weeks ago was that the ship finally docked in LA, but is still waiting to be unloaded.
Thanks for the info on how they actually worked. I'm going to put the book on my Christmas list. Sounds like I need to get it ordered now in order to get it by then! 🤣

Duckberg

My understanding is that decision to close OA was "not" sudden. Leroy and Bob are both in there 80's and with Leroy's serious health issues. The Youtube vid referenced above gives a brief picture to what OA was all about. This months OA events are a build up to the two day auction at the end of this month.

TikibirdLand

My understanding is that decision to close OA was "not" sudden. Leroy and Bob are both in there 80's and with Leroy's serious health issues. The Youtube vid referenced above gives a brief picture to what OA was all about. This months OA events are a build up to the two day auction at the end of this month.
Lot's of history and stories there. I hope someone will capture them.

TikibirdLand

What is happening with the collection, sold off to someone? Moving to a new warehouse, dumpster?
It's being auctioned off at the end of the month. Take a look at the video. I'll bet you'll recognize quite a few things. I so wish I could attend that auction. I'd be on an airplane right now!

Duckberg

There wasn't any piece Leroy could not carve for Disney with his artist skills. Regarding the auction this is the GREAT stuff of OA. You can register and bid online, but were talking 23% add on to final bid + shipping costs. Looking over the auction list believe many of these items will exceed the top auction estimates ($$$+).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom