Sad news: Oceanic Arts closed after 65 years... major contributor of art & carvings for Disneyland, the Polynesian, and Norway pavilion

TikibirdLand

There wasn't any piece Leroy could not carve for Disney with his artist skills. Regarding the auction this is the GREAT stuff of OA. You can register and bid online, but were talking 23% add on to final bid + shipping costs. Looking over the auction list believe many of these items will exceed the top auction estimates ($$$+).
I'm sending kids to college right now.So, I don't think there's enough disposable cash on hand right now. But, I'd love to own something from them!

Phil12

Some of us are tiki critics. We're glad to see Oceanic Arts close its doors.

TikibirdLand

Some of us are tiki critics. We're glad to see Oceanic Arts close its doors.

Thanks for the link. I liked this quote best:
Recitations of victimhood can be overbearing. Attempts to erase uncomfortable histories— and there are more and more examples of this throughout the world—are just as dangerous as attempts to glorify it. To their credit, Tiki critics aren’t seeking to cancel the culture, but rather to address the reality of Pacific island life, and in those narratives is enough to make all sides uncomfortable. The conversation is worth having.

I'm going to miss OA though.

Robbiem

Sympathies to Leroy’s family. From what I’ve read and seen he was a genuine nice guy who loved his job and created some beautiful things

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom