SA VI Stanza X: Disney Royale! Open Brainstorming Thread

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
IEWjo7Q.png

Teams Yesterday and Tomorrow, your final mission awaits! The last artifact awaits deep in The Fog of Uninspiration. But what is there? Well, nothing! Hence, we must build from the ground up.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to build a Disneyland Resort from scratch.

But there's a catch.

The Fog of Uninspiration prevents us from building any clones of real-world attractions. Even subtle changes! What we can clone is all attractions from the SAU only. Original attractions are of course free to grab.

- By clones, we are referring to something with very minimal changes. For instance, Haunted Mansion of Orlando to Anaheim. Something like Mystic Manor (which changes quite a bit) is a-ok.

- We've taken you all over the world this season! Now is the time for you to choose our next destination! Think about how that country/culture might react to a Disneyland.

- This is your last chance to impress. Unlike the last couple of "shorter" stanzas, we would recommend anyone looking to advance to the Post-Seasons participate here.

Oh, and remember how the Judges were undercover LAND agents? Well, we were really Double Agent SEA agents all along. Pi literally said it -

FElnLLu.png

The Judges will be joining you this round.

There will be no Project Manager this round. Is that a good idea? No! Someone will have to volunteer. But who will it be? Take everyone's skills into consideration before choosing a leader.

Guest Judges
EVERYONE

This Project is due Monday, March 23rd at 11:59 PM EST

Time Zones
Walt Disney World- 11:59 PM
Disneyland Park - 8:59 PM
Disneyland Paris - 5:59 AM
Disneyland Tokyo - 1:59 PM​

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Canada DisneyLand
Canada would mostly free us up from having to worry about the culture being too different (Paris doesn't want a regular looking castle and China doesn't like ghosts), since their pop culture is very similar to America/UK. It is a little close to the American parks, but the lack of cloned attractions would help it stand on its own. Only concern is the cold and weather would be limiting. But we might be able to do some connection Pakhope Ski Resort in Vancouver.

Canada would definitely be a solid choice!

D Hulk

Mumbai Disneyland?
I am hugely in favor of this, and not only because I visited India in November.

India honestly seems like the next place which could realistically host a Disney Resort. Their population & economy are following in the same trajectory as China's, only maybe 1 or 2 decades behind. This means an emerging middle class, which is ideal for theme park development. There are hardly any existing parks in India; their best park, in Mumbai, makes La Ronde look like DisneySea - so there's no local competition!

Mumbai specifically works best. It's among the world's 20 wealthiest cities, much like L.A., Tokyo, Paris, Hong Kong, & Shanghai. Mumbai is both India's economic & cultural center. Bollywood is right there, giving us a great resource for local cast members & performers. Plus India's culture, which is very festive and family-oriented, would give us a really fun new way to approach a Castle Park.

Full confession, I've been considering this specific location for a while. So I have more ideas, more analysis, and more thoughts...for later!

Orange Cat

India honestly seems like the next place which could realistically host a Disney Resort. Their population & economy are following in the same trajectory as China's, only maybe 1 or 2 decades behind. This means an emerging middle class, which is ideal for theme park development. There are hardly any existing parks in India; their best park, in Mumbai, makes La Ronde look like DisneySea - so there's no local competition!

Mumbai specifically works best. It's among the world's 20 wealthiest cities, much like L.A., Tokyo, Paris, Hong Kong, & Shanghai. Mumbai is both India's economic & cultural center. Bollywood is right there, giving us a great resource for local cast members & performers. Plus India's culture, which is very festive and family-oriented, would give us a really fun new way to approach a Castle Park.

Full confession, I've been considering this specific location for a while. So I have more ideas, more analysis, and more thoughts...for later!
Well I can’t wait to hear from everyone space’s simple idea & this explanation makes this a really good candidate

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes

Mumbai is definitely a great choice! And you raise a lot of good points! Choosing somewhere where the research is basically already done would help a lot!

Tux

Are there any cultural barriers we should be worried about before we go for Mumbai? Just curious. We don't want a repeat of the Disneyland Paris' disaster of an opening. Also, is it okay if I ask what exactly you have had in mind throughout your concepts for a resort in Mumbai, @D Hindley ? Just curious. You've done your research it seems, so it would be nice to hear your expanded thoughts on it all.

Outbound

Canada Disneyland - An indoor park could work, but we would have to adapt a lot. I know we did something like this in OLS 1...
1584326511221.png

and then proceeded to completely forget about it by giving Main Street a giant lagoon, lol.

Later in the comp we came back and solved this problem by making each land stacked separately (in "wings" so to speak) and that way we accomplished enough with a limited indoor sprawl.

Mumbai Disneyland - India is poised to overtake China as the world's most populated country. And China already has two resorts! My vote goes here.

Melbourne Disneyland - Another good pick. We have the western aesthetic of Canada but without the indoor requirement. Australians currently have to fly to reach any Disneyland, so they'd love this. Although I personally prefer Mumbai Disneyland for originality, I have absolutely no qualms with Australia.

D Hulk

Are there any cultural barriers we should be worried about before we go for Mumbai? Just curious. We don't want a repeat of the Disneyland Paris' disaster of an opening. Also, is it okay if I ask what exactly you have had in mind throughout your concepts for a resort in Mumbai, @D Hindley ? Just curious. You've done your research it seems, so it would be nice to hear your expanded thoughts on it all.
The biggest cultural barrier seems to be a dislike of British culture, stemming from India's long history of British colonization. India is also an enormously religious culture, with half-a-dozen publicly visible major religions which don't always get along - so we should simply not reference those.

More positively, India loves festivals. Loves! Holi, Diwali, westernized holidays like Christmas, frequent all-night weddings. Indian art is incredibly colorful and highly detailed, which would be a good aesthetic style for a Disneyland. They love singing & dancing, as seen in the countless Bollywood musicals - which are all well over 3 hours long. I believe that an Indian park should heavily focus on live entertainment, including parades and many indoors musical shows. This also helps guest escape the humidity, which is a definite problem in Mumbai.

There are some negatives with the location which we'll have to deal with. Mumbai's weather is like Florida's but more extreme. There's also monsoon season, which lasts for several months and causes severe flooding. The park would need enough indoors experiences (plus perhaps covered passageways like Paris' Main Street arcades) so it doesn't shut down for month-long periods. I believe that if we built the resort on landfill like Tokyo Disney (perhaps in the Indian Ocean), and elevated it so waters drain outwards, that we'll avoid these problems.

Mumbai is also very polluted, worse than Beijing. (Better than Delhi though.) This too means indoors activities. It also means no fireworks, so we'll want projections and water fountains and etc. instead.

More positive stuff: I visited the Taj Mahal, and I was hugely impressed by the site design. Honestly, it felt veeeeery similar to the castle at the end of Main Street. This is something to discuss in more detail later.

1584327740362.jpeg

It has been difficult learning which Disney properties are most popular in India. Tangled is well liked, because the sky lanterns are a lot like Diwali. Otherwise all I found were the Top 10 highest grossing foreign (non-Indian) films - 3 Avengers films (Endgame, Infinity War, Ultron), and the live action versions of Jungle Book (set in India!) and Lion King. (They also liked Jurassic World and several Fast & Furious films.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom