S/O Overheard at WDW

mousehockey37

Original Poster
I'm gonna do a spin-off of @Earl Sweatpants and cater this one to WDW.

What are some of the outrageous things you've overheard while at WDW?

I'll go first!

Mom at Kidani bus stop (talking to her husband with 2 little kids) - We've been here for half an hour, we were the first ones here, we're getting on the next bus.

Dad - Yes, we'll be on the bus.

Mom - No, I mean it, all these other people can wait, we're the first ones on.
(This goes on for about 5-10 minutes with her complaining)

Mom - Get on the bus when it gets here.

Dad - Maybe I'll ask to ride on the roof.

Me - Is there a FP for that?
(everyone cracks up except for the mom)

Mom - I'm serious. Get on the bus.

Me to Dad - Sounds like you wanna get on a bus, any bus and go anywhere but where she's going.

Dad - laughs.

nickys

Premium Member
As we headed out of the Contemporary on the monorail, I heard "I thought this took us to the Magic Kingdom". "It does darling, we'll be there soon". Then, in a wail "But it's heading away from the castle". No, this wasn't a 5 year old, this was a 40 something woman.

Luckily at this point the doors opened at the TTC before my family burst out laughing, along with the rest of the carriage who didn't even try to cover up the sniggers. I really thought I was going to wet myself lol

LeighM

The only thing I can recall right now (because it was such a whopper) was during my trip this past October when Hurricane Matthew went through. It was the night they opened Disney Springs at 5PM with limited openings. My husband and I were in the quick service line outside of Morimoto Asia. I figured that was the shortest line, had some seats available, and the food was hot. The announcement was that the table service restaurants would have a limited, modified menu so no point in waiting in line for over an hour for the same darn thing I could get back at the resort. So while we were in line, listening to many people complain about how Disney had handled it, I heard one woman really knock our resort PO Riverside. She was telling everyone that would listen that they had to pay so much for the cold sandwiches (that were optional to buy in case the worst happened) and they were forced to stay in their room the entire day (the resort may have been late pushing out messages with the all clear but really if they had looked out the window, they could see people walking around, there was no rain, and barely any wind!!). But what made me actually speak up and clarify everything she was saying was when she said there was no food at Riverside. Ummmm no. I let everyone know the resort had a hot dinner the night before, that morning (day of hurricane) they had a hot breakfast available, as well as hot and cold lunch options, and I'm sure they had a good dinner planned for those who chose to stay at the resort rather than brave the crowds at Disney Springs. And to make my point even clearer, I let them know they had made the arcade games free for the day and had brought in a rotation of characters for meet and greets in the lobby. The woman was completely speechless!! Her husband responded that he thought there was more to do at the lobby but his wife didn't want anyone to leave the room.

And that reminds me of the other funny thing I heard that trip. Two fathers had braved the big rain drops that morning to get breakfast for their wives and kids. They sat at the table next to us, with bags of food, and drank their coffee. One father said to the other that they should get going before the food gets cold and started to stand up. The other dad, said something like "are you sure? they won't know how long we really had to wait." And the father sits back down and they continued to relax and drink their coffee LOL.

Captain Barbossa

I have a lot of those type of stories. One that really sticks out is hearing an older man refering to Goofy as the "big dope" and his wife refering to Grumpy as "one of the 7 dum dums".

Goofyernmost

Not trying to put a damper on this, but, you guys have to bear in mind that many people have pet, comical names, for things. They know the correct one, but, some family member, probably a child, called them something else and it stuck with the family. I call SSE... the big golf ball. I obviously know the real name, but, it always stuck with me. Not the cleverest of names, but, it isn't out of ignorance, it is done in fun. (The same reason why so many still call DHS... MGM or Magic Kingdom... Disney World.)

The only legitimate one that I can remember was one time when I was walking behind two elderly ladies in Animal Kingdom. We were in the African Village and they both were astounded by how quickly the park was falling apart. They, of course were talking about the plaster missing on the buildings, the cracks and imperfections on the path and the old telephone polls and wires. They missed the theme aspect completely and had apparently never been out of their own comfortable surroundings.

BigRedDad

I always like a certain social group of people that have to keep their ladder rung position within their social circle. The conversations are all the same and goes like this (this is one I actually heard while at GF).

Mom: You kids are going to have fun here no matter what. Your father took a $20,000 loan out for this vacation
Kids: We didn't even want to come to Disney World again
Mom: Your friends were just here and we have to hear about how their trip was and how it was better than our last one.
Dad: Let the kids do what they want.
Mom to dad: Shutup!!! You couldn't afford to take us on a better vacation last month and we had to take this because so-and-so were here the other week. If you would have just done everything then we wouldn't have had to come again.
Dad to kids: Try to have fun because we won't be having any after we leave.
Mom to all of them: Shutup and have fun.

And yes, this is how the conversation went at the monorail platform. There are certain groups that have to go massively in debt just to keep ahead of others within their social group. It is absolutely hilarious to watch. One person buys a Lexus, another goes and buys an Infiniti model better, then another buys a Mercedes better than the Infiniti, and the cycle continues because they can be "those people" in the social group.

Cmdr_Crimson

When people mention when they are going to the Magic Kingdom that they are going to Disney World today.

And when you go to Disney California Adventure some call it Disney's Epcot animal Studios.

Otterhead

Dad: "Here we are at EPCOT."
Kid: "Um, this is the Magic Kingdom, dad."
Dad: "I bet you didn't know that Walt Disney wanted the entire place to be called EPCOT. It was only after he died that they gave it another name. I respect his memory by calling it all EPCOT."
Kid: "Uh, okay Dad."
(mom rolling her eyes)

reptar77

When they are working on cinderella castle "The crane ruined my vacation!" Then 2 adult women proceeded to throw a tantrum on main street.
Runner up would be- " Disney food gives me the runs, Lets go to McDonalds"

Last edited:

Otterhead

One of my favorite overheard moments was when I was in the restroom next to Star Tours, standing at the urinal; I heard a little kid walk in singing the Imperial March theme ("dun dun dun, dun dee dun, dun dee dun...") and saw he was wearing a Darth Vader helmet. He walked up to a urinal, dropped his pants, and started making lightsaber sounds as he peed. It was really hard not to laugh out loud.

Otterhead

One more overheard/encounter to relate...
After watching Wishes over near Tomorrowland, my group had FP+'s for Pirates, so we started making our way through the shoulder-to-shoulder crowd. A family (dad, mom, kid in stroller) was just standing in the middle of all the traffic, blocking it, as people said "excuse me.. excuse me... pardon me..." trying to get by them.
My traveling companion: "Excuse me, just want to get by..."
Man: "Hey!"
TC: "What?"
Man: "How dare you cut me off!"
TC: "You're just standing there. We're not cutting you off. We're all trying to get somewhere, just relax."
Man: "Oh yeah? You want a piece of me?"
TC: *blinks* "Are you suggesting you want to beat me up... right here... in the Magic Kingdom?"
Man: "Yeah! Let's step outside!!"
At that, my traveling companion sort of looked around and gestured to the 'outside' we were all standing in. It broke the tension, people around us laughed, and the man sort of slunk away with his family, yelling curse words.

Minthorne

One of my favorite overheard moments was when I was in the restroom next to Star Tours, standing at the urinal; I heard a little kid walk in singing the Imperial March theme ("dun dun dun, dun dee dun, dun dee dun...") and saw he was wearing a Darth Vader helmet. He walked up to a urinal, dropped his pants, and started making lightsaber sounds as he peed. It was really hard not to laugh out loud.

yeah, that was me...

nickys

Premium Member
OK this didn't happen at WDW, but it was during our trip so it counts, right?

We were at Kennedy Space Centre and having something to eat whilst sitting near the "Mission to Mars" exhibition. It has various interactive displays "do you have what it takes to go to Mars?, and is really popular with families. Along comes a group and the 6/7 year old boy tries reading the sign. "MIss- to Mars? Dad, what does it say?" "Mission to Mars, it means journey to Mars. Let's go have a look". Cue little sister starts wailing "But I don't want to go to Mars Dad, I want to stay here"!

Larry Mondello

I always like a certain social group of people that have to keep their ladder rung position within their social circle. The conversations are all the same and goes like this (this is one I actually heard while at GF).

Mom: You kids are going to have fun here no matter what. Your father took a $20,000 loan out for this vacation

This confirms my suspicion. I've often wondered with news reports stating that 53% of Americans could not come up with $2000 in an emergency then how is it that Disney World is so crowded all the time with people spending way more than. $2000. It's because they borrow it and have a negative net worth.

danyoung56

Remember that Pirates show they had for a short time in the Studios? The one next to One Man's Dream? I only saw it once, and knowing what to expect I wasn't disappointed. But on the way out I overheard a mom talking with her 10 year old boy -

Boy: Was that the whole thing?
Mom: Yeah, that was it.
Boy: Well, that wasn't fun AT ALL!

monykalyn

Remember that Pirates show they had for a short time in the Studios? The one next to One Man's Dream? I only saw it once, and knowing what to expect I wasn't disappointed. But on the way out I overheard a mom talking with her 10 year old boy -

Boy: Was that the whole thing?
Mom: Yeah, that was it.
Boy: Well, that wasn't fun AT ALL!
Ah what year was this? had that EXACT conversation a couple years ago with my son (he's tall for his age-not quite 10) ROFL!!!
And even knowing what to expect-that "attraction" was a complete waste of space :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom