Running with type 1 DM question

durangojim

Original Poster
Hi all! My family will be doing the Everest 5K in a couple weeks and I have a question. My 15 year old daughter has T1D and as a result there are certain things she Carrie’s with her in a very small backpack pretty much everywhere she gooes: a glucose meter, glucose tabs, a small snack, and medicine in case her sugar gets too low rapidly. Will Disney allow her to run with the backpack or do we need to figure something else out? Thanks!

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
Hi all! My family will be doing the Everest 5K in a couple weeks and I have a question. My 15 year old daughter has T1D and as a result there are certain things she Carrie’s with her in a very small backpack pretty much everywhere she gooes: a glucose meter, glucose tabs, a small snack, and medicine in case her sugar gets too low rapidly. Will Disney allow her to run with the backpack or do we need to figure something else out? Thanks!
I can’t imagine that will be a problem. Many people wear hydration backpacks (Camelbaks) and vests and such (that carry water, snacks, small personal items, etc) for the races without issue. Security will probably check the bag, but as long as there aren’t any items in the bag that would generally be prohibited in the parks, I think you should be okay (after all, they let people run with a lot bulkier things like costumes and flag poles).

Here’s the only policy info I know of for the races that may differ from standard park policy:
5C43F15A-E640-49D0-8805-F820222F0A4F.jpeg

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

Security will search her backpack at the entry to the park, but other than that, shouldn't be an issue. I've seen people run wearing backpacks, including the string ones, and small crossbody purses. And, of course, hydration vests. I'd throw a cheap disposable poncho...or 2...in there also. One of those you get at the drugstore or grocery store.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I can’t imagine that will be a problem. Many people wear hydration backpacks (Camelbaks) and vests and such (that carry water, snacks, small personal items, etc) for the races without issue. Security will probably check the bag, but as long as there aren’t any items in the bag that would generally be prohibited in the parks, I think you should be okay (after all, they let people run with a lot bulkier things like costumes and flag poles).

Here’s the only policy info I know of for the races that may differ from standard park policy:
View attachment 625767

Dang, I was going to ride my bike to do Dopey.... 😄

Figment82

I’m T1D also, and used to carry my lancing device, meter, strips, glucose tabs, etc. and have never had an issue. With my CGM (Dex 6) being super reliable and on a closed loop system with my pump, I don’t carry my testing supplies anymore (it’s really hard for me to get a good blood sample while I’m running, and I’m stubborn and refuse to stop and test 😂).

A hydration vest/backpack or zippered belt pouch is perfect for carrying anything you might need. And if they utilize the scanning devices at the entrance to DAK like they did at Epcot, security will be a breeze!

I’d be happy to answer any additional questions if you have them!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom