Running gear and runDisney costumes

RunningKoen

Original Poster
Hi all,

What gear do you guys use for normal runs/races and what costumes do you use for runDisney races.

And how do you combine them? Tips? Do's and don'ts?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Beyond clothing and shoes? I have a lovely that hold gel packs, a few hand wipes, my phone and bottle made for the thing. I freeze one 9f the bottles and put it in the back pocket, so it's nice and cool against my back. Also wrap a cooling towel around my neck, have a bandana around my forehead to catch sweat (I sweat a lot) and a visored running cap I found at Fit2Run in Disney Springs. And my Fitbit tracker.

Edit: I hate my autocorrect...

I don't wear a lovely (wth?), I wear a Flipbelt....

Last edited:

RunningKoen

Original Poster
My normal running outfit is defined by compression. I love the Nike Pro leggings, some compression socks for my calves, compression shirt to support my upperbody and thats about it. I never trained with gel or water on my body, should do that more often.

Right now Im struggling with my outfit. Working on a hercules theme but the only fabric you can dye is coton, but thats impossible for working out. All my normal gear is filled with so much elasthan; dye wont work, so now I have to sew so many elastics into the cotton to prevent movement. It's progressing but taking so much effort and time.

Will only use it for the 5K. Cant run any longer in those items.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Oh, yeah, compression sleeves for my calves for the 10k and up races and anti-blister socks...

Texas84

Wear the race shirt AFTER the race. :)

At Disney races I only carry hydration in the Marathon if it's hot. Also, I wear Zensah leg compression for training over 10 miles but don't on race day. Goofy/Dopey is an exception. I'll wear them half and full.

Favorite cap is the Headsweat sold by Road ID. Everything else is New Balance. I'll be rocking the Toy Story 880s at Disneyland in a few weeks. Been running with the 880s for several years. Wish NB could take the runDisney clothing contract from Champion. Although Champion has improved over the years.

RunningKoen

Original Poster
NB took over the clothing contract for one of my favorite races in the Netherlands; Im far for impressed so I'm not sure if I would like them as a the new runDisney brand.

Their disney shoes look amazing, they are on my list for the expo. So far, I've only run with Nike (LunarEpic Flyknit) and I like them.

No costumes for you guys? ;-)

dreamfinder

My costume usually is my kilt. Did the classic Mickey for a race in January, red shorts with felt "buttons" pinned on the front, black tech shirt, white knit gloves and mouse ears.
But as far as tech gear goes, between most of the major gear companies, you can find a reasonable color approximation for what you need. It may not be a perfect match, but you can get it close enough for most people to recognize what/who you are. Start with the base color shirt, and then loosely stitch on accents to make it recognizable.
Depending on your devotion to the cause, you can get custom sublimated running gear made, but that will run you like $50 USD minimum when I've looked for it. You could get cheaper stuff from someplace like artscow.com, but that's more for regular clothing and not meant to be running gear.
Comes down to what you are shooting for. Alot of the people who are going for faster times will end up doing more stylized Disneybounding type costumes using normal running gear. People who are going for fancier costumes tend to be out there just to have fun, and don't mind taking it slower due to a less functional costume.

LAKid53

Premium Member
The exact reason why I can't imagine myself doing a half or full marathon in costume. Definitely when you're running sub 1:40 at a half ;-)

I agree. While cool, don't know how these runners managed a half in their costumes...

20170422_040359.jpg

Mark P.

I'm (well, more accurately, my wife is) retrofitting an old Nike Dri-fit shirt and a cheap New Balance running hat I bought online for my costume this weekend for the DL half. Blue running shorts, compression sleeves, and Brooks Guide 9 shoes to complete the ensemble. Trying to keep it pretty simple so it doesn't get in the way, especially with temps being much higher than I had planned for, which is causing me to plan on bringing my hydration pack. (Fortunately, that's blue anyway, so it fits with the costume.) I know I won't PR because I do want to take advantage of as much of the runDisney race experience as I can, but I also don't want to get too bogged down.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I'm (well, more accurately, my wife is) retrofitting an old Nike Dri-fit shirt and a cheap New Balance running hat I bought online for my costume this weekend for the DL half. Blue running shorts, compression sleeves, and Brooks Guide 9 shoes to complete the ensemble. Trying to keep it pretty simple so it doesn't get in the way, especially with temps being much higher than I had planned for, which is causing me to plan on bringing my hydration pack. (Fortunately, that's blue anyway, so it fits with the costume.) I know I won't PR because I do want to take advantage of as much of the runDisney race experience as I can, but I also don't want to get too bogged down.

Is your hydration pack similar to Camelbak's? I've wondered how comfortable it would be to run in a half with one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom