runDisney Star Wars Events

Surferboy567

I’ll probably have to train for this thing if I end up doing it, will be my first half ever. Maybe I’ll do it on a treadmill so I can watch a Star Wars movie to fit the theme.

This will be a few months after my first 10K ever.

I hope I can actually run a half, I’ve never done anything close to that distance. With the exception of the upcoming 10K and many 5K.

Last edited:

GimpYancIent

Of all the run Disney races I enjoy the Star Wars themed events the most. I wish the old Kessel Run would return where one can run The Light Side event in Disneyland and The Dark Side event in Walt Disney World. Also collect the Coast to Coast bling too. Oh well, I will be satisfied if, unlike 2020, the 2021 Rival Run event happens. For me it is the only reason I am motivated to go to WDW in 2021. I find the run Disney events designed for enjoyment, one can compete hard if you want. Any reasonably healthy person can train up and complete a run Disney event. The smiles on the faces of the participants as they cross the finish line tell it all.

Surferboy567

You should. You want to increase your miles over time so you can comfortably run the distance of your selected race. Look at the Galloway training on runDisney's site. Hal Higdon's is another good one. Just find one that works for you.

I didn’t do any training for our virtual 5ks. I hadn’t run at all prior, except when the dog got out or the kids ran toward the road. It’s been pretty great. I’ve been trying to do the Tuesday/Thursday runs with a longer run on the weekends. Doesn’t always happen, but I’m really liking the motivation to step things up for the 10k. That’s longer than I’ve run before. But there’s lots of time between now and November, and hopefully the weather cools off a bit. I know the pricing was a little high, but it’s cheaper than a gym membership (that I wouldn’t want to use) and, for me, it’s pretty exciting to run a Disney race.

I did a little research, here is my plan I do however have some questions I would like to ask those who are a little more experienced.

The general gist is that I’m using the Galloway training program on runDisney’s website the beginner Half marathon one.

I took the schedule and wrote days above the plan. Since I’m running my first 10K (the wine and dine) and I should probably train for that as well. That 10K is part of my half training. Being that the wine and dine 10K is on a Saturday (November 7th) that fits nicely into Galloway’s training. I took the day where I’m supposed to run 6.5 miles as part of marathon training and marked it as a race day. So that 6.5 mile run I will use as my virtual 10K (I’ll split the time after the 6.2 mil mark).

Being that I want to treat this race as seriously as possible I wanted to ask a few questions about the plan:

1.) The run walk method is confusing if I want to keep the pace of 16 min/mil do I run 15 MINUTES and walk 30, or is it run 15 SECONDS and walk 30?

2.) The magic mile also confuses me any clarification there.

3.) Is it possible to do this on a treadmill if so, do I keep the treadmill at a normal speed during the ”walking” and speed up during the ”running”.

These may seem like dumb questions to experienced runners but I’m still learning any clarification would be great! This plan seems to work out so well since it lines up perfectly with the wine and dine 10K and gives plenty of time to prepare for the virtual half.

Last edited:

Swissmiss

Premium Member
There are many run/walk plans, not just Galloway’s. I looked at tons of different plans and ended up going with a different one from Galloway’s, partly because like you I found his a bit confusing, partly because I felt it was “too much” for me as a slower runner. If I recall his plan, the weekday runs are based on time (around a half hour?) and the weekend runs are based on distance. That’s absolutely fine for a beginning fast runner, but not so great for a beginning slow runner as you can quickly find your weekend runs being the double in time as your weekday runs. So I looked around for a plan better adapted to me and my fitness level at the time.

Personally, I think the trick is to find the breakdown that works for you - and also whether run/walk is right for you. While I started out using run/walk for all my runs as I was beginning a few years ago, I now only use it for longer runs, as my pace gets slower the longer I run.

And you can absolutely do it on a treadmill - changing the speed between the intervals.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Galloway's run/walk training program is designed to help you increase speed over time, but more importantly, endurance. The plan should list a run/walk ratio for the pace you want to achieve - that's how many minutes it takes you to run a mile. If you want to achieve a 12 m/m pace, i.e., run a mile in 12 minutes, then, according to his strategy, you would run 30 seconds, walk 30 seconds. The point of his plan is to finish the race. Upright.

The are other good training plans. I'd Google them. For me, the important thing is a plan you understand and can follow. Make sure it includes a 2 week taper plan before race day - that's reducing the mileage you ran the week of your longest run by almost 80 percent the remaining two weeks prior to race day.

If you are going to run on a treadmill, especially for most of your training, yes, vary the speed AND incline. The theory behind increasing the incline is to mimic the wind resistance you incur running outdoors. If you do register for an on-property race longer than a 5k (those are run around Epcot), while most of the course is flat, there are several on-ramps you'll run up (always the 3rd to the last mile of the race). Running on a treadmill with no incline will not prepare you for running UP the on-ramp to the bridge on Osceola Drive at Mile 10 of the Half.

i don't know what other workouts you do, but strengthening your core is essential to running. Squats, lots of squats.

Good luck!

ps - I really don't like Galloway's recommendation for running form. Everything I've read...and practice...indicates landing midfoot, rather than heal, is much better. And leaning forward from the ankles, not waist, naturally propels you forward as opposed to running perfectly upright. Just my 2 cents.

Surferboy567

There are many run/walk plans, not just Galloway’s. I looked at tons of different plans and ended up going with a different one from Galloway’s, partly because like you I found his a bit confusing, partly because I felt it was “too much” for me as a slower runner. If I recall his plan, the weekday runs are based on time (around a half hour?) and the weekend runs are based on distance. That’s absolutely fine for a beginning fast runner, but not so great for a beginning slow runner as you can quickly find your weekend runs being the double in time as your weekday runs. So I looked around for a plan better adapted to me and my fitness level at the time.

Personally, I think the trick is to find the breakdown that works for you - and also whether run/walk is right for you. While I started out using run/walk for all my runs as I was beginning a few years ago, I now only use it for longer runs, as my pace gets slower the longer I run.

And you can absolutely do it on a treadmill - changing the speed between the intervals.

Galloway's run/walk training program is designed to help you increase speed over time, but more importantly, endurance. The plan should list a run/walk ratio for the pace you want to achieve - that's how many minutes it takes you to run a mile. If you want to achieve a 12 m/m pace, i.e., run a mile in 12 minutes, then, according to his strategy, you would run 30 seconds, walk 30 seconds. The point of his plan is to finish the race. Upright.

The are other good training plans. I'd Google them. For me, the important thing is a plan you understand and can follow. Make sure it includes a 2 week taper plan before race day - that's reducing the mileage you ran the week of your longest run by almost 80 percent the remaining two weeks prior to race day.

If you are going to run on a treadmill, especially for most of your training, yes, vary the speed AND incline. The theory behind increasing the incline is to mimic the wind resistance you incur running outdoors. If you do register for an on-property race longer than a 5k (those are run around Epcot), while most of the course is flat, there are several on-ramps you'll run up (always the 3rd to the last mile of the race). Running on a treadmill with no incline will not prepare you for running UP the on-ramp to the bridge on Osceola Drive at Mile 10 of the Half.

i don't know what other workouts you do, but strengthening your core is essential to running. Squats, lots of squats.

Good luck!

ps - I really don't like Galloway's recommendation for running form. Everything I've read...and practice...indicates landing midfoot, rather than heal, is much better. And leaning forward from the ankles, not waist, naturally propels you forward as opposed to running perfectly upright. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the clarification on the training program. Yeah, I have no intention of running a half without proper training for the reasons most people here mentioned. To be honest, I wasn’t even thinking about ever running a half ever till I saw the theme.

Eventually, (assuming this all goes well) I plan to use this knowledge when I eventually do a on-property race. For now, the virtuals will have to suffice. I think (knowing me) that the half represents my upper limit. I am not sure if I would be able to complete a distance higher then this. We will see though, how this goes.

After reading your comments and researching a little online I think I’m going to stick with Galloway’s training program. Their are a couple of reasons why but I think I have a handle on it, I also agree with the endurance goal stated.

I also finally figured out what a magic mile is it is basically a prediction system used for a realistic goal. You run for a whole mile as fast as you can (without hurting yourself) and then the results will give you a realistic pace.

I also plan on switching off between treadmill and outside as needed probably accounting for incline. I run for 30 mins everyday anyway right now so that part should be simple at least for me.

With all the above being said here is what my stats are looking like assuming I don’t change anything and go according to plan.

GOAL: 14:30/15:45 mi/min- run 15 seconds walk 30

Plan starts on September 29th ends on February 6

September 29th- Start

———6 Weeks Later———

November 7th- Wine and Dine 10K

———12 Weeks Later———

January 30th: Star Wars Virtual Half (weather permitting if inside or out)

Training ends February 6th

How does this look to everyone? I think it’s a good strategy. I guess we shall see if it works.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the clarification on the training program. Yeah, I have no intention of running a half without proper training for the reasons most people here mentioned. To be honest, I wasn’t even thinking about ever running a half ever till I saw the theme.

Eventually, (assuming this all goes well) I plan to use this knowledge when I eventually do a on-property race. For now, the virtuals will have to suffice. I think (knowing me) that the half represents my upper limit. I am not sure if I would be able to complete a distance higher then this. We will see though, how this goes.

After reading your comments and researching a little online I think I’m going to stick with Galloway’s training program. Their are a couple of reasons why but I think I have a handle on it, I also agree with the endurance goal stated.

I also finally figured out what a magic mile is it is basically a prediction system used for a realistic goal. You run for a whole mile as fast as you can (without hurting yourself) and then the results will give you a realistic pace.

I also plan on switching off between treadmill and outside as needed probably accounting for incline. I run for 30 mins everyday anyway right now so that part should be simple at least for me.

With all the above being said here is what my stats are looking like assuming I don’t change anything and go according to plan.

GOAL: 14:30/15:45 mi/min- run 15 seconds walk 30

Plan starts on September 29th ends on February 6

September 29th- Start

———6 Weeks Later———

November 7th- Wine and Dine 10K

———12 Weeks Later———

January 30th: Star Wars Virtual Half (weather permitting if inside or out)

Training ends February 6th

How does this look to everyone? I think it’s a good strategy. I guess we shall see if it works.

Looks good.

Surferboy567

So, I tried walking and running on my daily run just like the plan said just to try it out. Run 15 seconds Walk 30 seconds, and I’m not going to lie it felt miserable, like I rather just walk/run my steady pace. I’m not sure if it is because I’m extremely tired or something but I’m not sure. It also was weird because I basically completed a mile in 12-13 mins (which is way up from my normal 15-16 mins). Maybe I misread the plan? Something is up...no way it is that miserable. Any tips?

Maybe I ran too fast? Didn’t slow down fast enough? I don’t have any idea I only lasted like 6 mins running and walking then I just went back to my steady 15 min a mile pace.

Last edited:

Swissmiss

Premium Member
What interval timers do you guys use? I tried to time it on my iPad manually last night and I think that added to my frustration.

I just use my watch or the treadmill timer, but I keep my intervals “easy” - usually in multiple of 5 (like run 4/walk 1, or run 8/ walk 2, run 12/walk 3)

LAKid53

Premium Member
What interval timers do you guys use? I tried to time it on my iPad manually last night and I think that added to my frustration.

My Garmin has a run/walk function. I just set that for the number of minutes for each. It vibrates when each is completed. I hate hearing the "beep, beep" during a race for those that use something else.

Surferboy567

My Garmin has a run/walk function. I just set that for the number of minutes for each. It vibrates when each is completed. I hate hearing the "beep, beep" during a race for those that use something else.

Wish my Apple Watch has something like that. After looking at the App Store I didn’t find any I really like. So much freemium stuff. I have an old fitbit lying around. Maybe that will help?

LAKid53

Premium Member
Wish my Apple Watch has something like that. After looking at the App Store I didn’t find any I really like. So much freemium stuff. I have an old fitbit lying around. Maybe that will help?

I don't remember Fitbit having that feature. A Forerunner 35 provides that function and is just under $100 on Amazon.

Surferboy567

I have some news, I have successfully completed a 30 minute run using the run walk method. I did this on a treadmill swapping between 3.0 and 5.0 for walking and running. I’ve also taken the data and compared the two runs one with a normal just walking at 4.0 speed and then a walk run here where the results. I think this training plan is going to work well! I used a freemium interval app that seems to work well.

Normal Sprint:

Time: 40 Mins (5 minute cool down)

Mile 1: 15’14
Mile 2: 15’22

Distance 2.40 mi

——————————————————-

Walk Run: (Using a 15 second run, 30 second walk)

Time 38 Mins (2 minute start up, 4 (ish) minute cool down)

Mile 1: 14’12
Mile 2: 14’18

Distance 2.43 mi

That’s a impressive pace increase and I don’t feel as tired, but definitely got a good work out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom