RunD newbie with questions...Princess Half Weekend...

The4mousekeeters

Original Poster
Hi there,
We are a Disney loving family and I'm great when it comes to planning a normal trip to WDW. We're now thinking about running the Princess 5K as a family February 2017. (A family goal to get more active and work Disney into it!)

We are not DVC or AP, will we be able to get spots or will it sell out before public registration day? Does online registration right at noon work or is it better to call?

Race registration is completely separate from our vacation package, correct? Or do I book a special package if we've signed up to race? Do I book that at the same time, or register first then book package?

Thinking about going down for the week, being there at the parks for the first part of the week and then racing on Friday and heading home Saturday...does that type of plan work or is there something funky with that plan?

The breakfast buffet and pasta buffet, etc... are those included in registration or separate items? Does DDP cover any of that? Are they worth going to or are they something that can be skipped?

Are there men's or boys versions of the race shirts? My hubby and son will be running as well as my daughter and I.

Kiddos will be 11 and 6 - anything I should know specifically regarding kiddos for the 5k?

If you made it this far in my barrage of questions - thanks!! Any and all help appreciated greatly!!!!

:)

Sumrdog

Ok registration first, there are only a select number of slots designated for early registration. So the majority are still available when it opens to the general public. That being said 5 and 10k's along with the challenges go quick. You have to register online and your best bet is to do it at noon when it opens. You do not as of yet have an option to register a group at once you must go through the process for each person individually and then jump back in the line.
In order to up your chances of success you and your spouse should each have a computer going register yourselves first and then do the kids. Create an Active.com account online first so all your info is saved and it will all go faster. I am not trying to discourage you I just want you to understand that the races can sell out quickly.
Ok packages, Disney has stopped offering any sort of discount so you are better off booking your own trip with whatever discounts you can find.
Pasta parties I have never done because I don't want to eat a big meal the night before I run a half or full marathon. And they are expensive someone else can speak to that but DDP does not cover that.
T shirts for the 5K's I believe are unisex the longer distances offer men's and women's cut.
As far as your kids go if you don't get a proof of time in and end up in one of the further back start corrals you may see very long character lines during the race so you might need to prepare them for that. The 6 year old maybe more than the 11 year old.
Another option is the kids races they have the Mickey Mile which my kids liked.
I love run Disney races they are super fun and a great way to get your whole family active.
Oh and I don't see any flaw in your plan of running at the end of the week unless your family is not used to being active then it might be more difficult just because a Disney trip involves so much walking you might all be really tired and not want to get up at 2:30 am for a 5K. And yes you do have to get up pretty early for the races. I usually plan my race for the start of the trip but that's a personal decision and you need to do what works for you and your families schedule.
Good luck!

Texas84

I wasn't that impressed with the pasta party and you really don't need to carb load for a 5K. :)

If the kids like characters the lines at the pasta party are not bad. But it's a huge loud room with lots of people and a DJ. The food is very basic but very good. Basically, we tried it once, had fun, don't need to do it again.

surfsupdon

I would pass over the Pasta Party. A lot of money for a loud cavernous full warehouse of a dining room. Eat at a nice restaurant or a casual one.

My thought is that you stay for the entire race weekend though, not leave on Saturday. The running community is a ton of fun, and your kids will see runners of all sorts in the theme parks and at your Resort. It is so inspiring. And there is an energy on race days for 10Ks, half marathons, and marathons that cannot be duplicated.

Most importantly, wear your medals to the Parks together on Friday, and get some great family Photopass pictures at race start, finish, and inside the parks. Have a great time, and welcome to the runDisney crew.

The4mousekeeters

Original Poster
Ok registration first, there are only a select number of slots designated for early registration. So the majority are still available when it opens to the general public. That being said 5 and 10k's along with the challenges go quick. You have to register online and your best bet is to do it at noon when it opens. You do not as of yet have an option to register a group at once you must go through the process for each person individually and then jump back in the line.
In order to up your chances of success you and your spouse should each have a computer going register yourselves first and then do the kids. Create an Active.com account online first so all your info is saved and it will all go faster. I am not trying to discourage you I just want you to understand that the races can sell out quickly.
Ok packages, Disney has stopped offering any sort of discount so you are better off booking your own trip with whatever discounts you can find.
Pasta parties I have never done because I don't want to eat a big meal the night before I run a half or full marathon. And they are expensive someone else can speak to that but DDP does not cover that.
T shirts for the 5K's I believe are unisex the longer distances offer men's and women's cut.
As far as your kids go if you don't get a proof of time in and end up in one of the further back start corrals you may see very long character lines during the race so you might need to prepare them for that. The 6 year old maybe more than the 11 year old.
I love run Disney races they are super fun and a great way to get your whole family active.
Oh and I don't see any flaw in your plan of running at the end of the week unless your family is not used to being active then it might be more difficult just because a Disney trip involves so much walking you might all be really tired and not want to get up at 2:30 am for a 5K. And yes you do have to get up pretty early for the races. I usually plan my race for the start of the trip but that's a personal decision and you need to do what works for you and your families schedule.
Good luck!

Thank you SOOOO much for the GREAT information - what an awesome response full of answers! Thanks for taking the time! We're so excited for our first runDisney event!

The4mousekeeters

Original Poster
I wasn't that impressed with the pasta party and you really don't need to carb load for a 5K. :)

If the kids like characters the lines at the pasta party are not bad. But it's a huge loud room with lots of people and a DJ. The food is very basic but very good. Basically, we tried it once, had fun, don't need to do it again.

Good info - thanks so much! Sounds like something we could easily skip and not feel like we missed out. :)

The4mousekeeters

Original Poster
I would pass over the Pasta Party. A lot of money for a loud cavernous full warehouse of a dining room. Eat at a nice restaurant or a casual one.

My thought is that you stay for the entire race weekend though, not leave on Saturday. The running community is a ton of fun, and your kids will see runners of all sorts in the theme parks and at your Resort. It is so inspiring. And there is an energy on race days for 10Ks, half marathons, and marathons that cannot be duplicated.

Most importantly, wear your medals to the Parks together on Friday, and get some great family Photopass pictures at race start, finish, and inside the parks. Have a great time, and welcome to the runDisney crew.

Thanks for the great response - we're really excited about our first runDisney event!!! :)

Sumrdog

Thank you SOOOO much for the GREAT information - what an awesome response full of answers! Thanks for taking the time! We're so excited for our first runDisney event!
No problem! It's a lot to navigate and I think we are all pretty happy to share what we have figured out along the way. You are going to have so much fun running!

Disneymom201

Good luck!
Disney no longer offers 30% off hopper tickets for participants and their families? That's what I received when I ran W&D in '14. I too am planning on Princess Half in '17.
Thanks for any info!

Sumrdog

Disney no longer offers 30% off hopper tickets for participants and their families? That's what I received when I ran W&D in '14. I too am planning on Princess Half in '17.
Thanks for any info!
The last three races I have done at Disney World had no discount tickets. But Disneyland did. Such a bummer that they stopped offering it.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Ditto to what everyone else said. Have that cursor hovering over the runDisney registration at 11:59 am. Forgo the Pasta in the Park... not worth the cost. Stay through the entire race weekend, so you can enjoy the party Sunday with all the other runners..it's free. Yeah, no more runDisney "travel packages", sadly. Wear your medals whenever you visit the parks after your race is completed. CMs will go out of their way to congratulate you. Make sure to visit not just race packet pickup at the expo next year. There will be a lot of runDisney and race specific merchandise at the expo. Everyone will want to proudly display a magnet for their particular race on their car.

If you've never run in a race before, even a 5k, you need some level of training. Try one of the couch-to-5k training regimes. I've done the Princess 5k and there are more walkers than serious runners, lol. But you want to make sure you are comfortable with the distance and won't have any problems. In spite of what the runDisney website says about pacing, the 5k is NOT a timed race, so you won't have to worry about the minimum 16mm pace requirement.

And get good running shoes. Nothing defeats a race like poorly fitting shoes that result in blisters by mile 2. Much of the race will be run on concrete, so good shoes are essential. And good blister proof socks; my preference is Feetures. The weather in February will be chilly, so make sure you dress accordingly (layers) since you will be standing outside in your corral for at least an hour before your corral gets to the start line. Last February (2015), the temperature at race time for the 5k was in the low 30s; this year the temperature was in the normal upper 40s, low 50s range. But it was still cold standing out in the dark for over an hour.

You will have a blast and want to do it every year. The number of participants who ran all three races (yes, the 5k,10k and half) surprised me. That will be me next year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom