Rumors of classic attractions being closed?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Universe of Energy/Ellen's Energy Adventure, Epcot
The Epcot Center that opened in 1982 purported to explore the sciences in an intelligent way, and this pavilion was a perfect example of that promise. The roof is crowned with a glittering field of solar panels that partly power a dazzling seating system of six, 97-passenger mobile slabs that turn a theatre into a gliding ride. But as the attraction is sponsored by ExxonMobil, it virtually ignores solar and alternative fuels to pump up the merits of the oil industry. The fact it is narrated by 15-year-old filmed segments featuring Ellen DeGeneres (then an ABC star) and the largely forgotten '90s personality Bill Nye the Science Guy makes it even more dated. Waits of a mere five minutes are the norm. These combined deficits predict a gut renovation in the not-so-distant future.

The writer must have always had fortuitous timing since it's a 45 minute show.

duplechien

If anything is true, Im glad they would consider to get rid of Journey into Imagination with Figmant. I love Disney as much as anyone but God thats a bad ride! I think the only thing worse is the Three Caballeros in the Mexican Pavilion.

RonAnnArbor

The article is NOT completely wrong -- although some of it is based on speculation.

Snow White IS going to be torn out. Ellen's Energy Ride IS severely in need of updating (the information in the movies is outdated and wrong...local high schools make it an assignment on Epcot days to ride it and to find the mistakes in the narrative). Country Bears has been rumored to be on the chopping block for years now. Journey into Imagination with Figment is only open because it costs next to nothing to operate it while it is still working, and they use the building for conferences and meetings upstairs, so they have to open the building anyway. Those who think its bad now should have seen the last version of it. Sounds Dangerous IS on the chopping block -- but they'll keep it running seasonally until they have a new attraction to place in there.

Interestingly enough, the article MISSES a few....HISTA is gone for good. I'm sure they are working on a new movie/attraction for that space, but in the interim we have Captain EO. HISTA is not planned to return. Stitches Great Escape is another problematic attraction and WDW knows it -- as soon as they have something new ready to go, that will be gone as well.

I think the one thing he has wrong is Carousel of Progress. That has a separate thread here so I won't wast my time on it except to say it's expected to have a refurb, but it's not going anywhere.

das texan

Well....

Snow White has to be redone. The cars themselves are the worst on property. As someone who is over 6 feet, its crazy how cramped those cars are, its less leg room than Space Mountain.

Energy is SO old and its true how it needs a rehash, I doubt they would basically close off that entire side of the park except for 12 weeks a year, that makes zero sense though.

Those are the only two I'll talk about right now.

G00fyDad

If anything is true, Im glad they would consider to get rid of Journey into Imagination with Figmant. I love Disney as much as anyone but God thats a bad ride! I think the only thing worse is the Three Caballeros in the Mexican Pavilion.

Blasphemy!! I love both of those rides. ;) Actually, I liked the first Journey the best. :) I'd like to see it get a retrofit. :)

aladdin2007

Well....

Snow White has to be redone. The cars themselves are the worst on property. As someone who is over 6 feet, its crazy how cramped those cars are, its less leg room than Space Mountain.

Energy is SO old and its true how it needs a rehash, I doubt they would basically close off that entire side of the park except for 12 weeks a year, that makes zero sense though.

Those are the only two I'll talk about right now.

Snow White will be closed and ripped out, replaced with meet n greets, which makes me :hurl:. But maybe the new mine coaster will have roomier vehicles.

I have no idea if the rumors are true and perhaps this is an unpopular response to the article but I see no big loss if all of them did go. I think all of the above need a major overhaul or need to be illiminated and replaced with something else. We know Snow White is going, not a big deal in my opinion, terrifes small children and bores everyone else. I honestly didn't even know Sounds Dangerously was still open. We saw the Bear Country Jamboree when we went in Septmeber. The kids had never seen it, it was hot and we were looking for A/C. It was really bad, I mean really bad. You couldn't hear what the moose was saying at all, not sure if it's always like that or we just had an off day. My son kept saying "Can you tell the moose to speak up?" The voice recordings were also way off from the animatronics. It was just pathetic. I think Carousel of Progress and Swiss Family Treehouse stick around for nostalgic purposes at this point but they could easily go IMO. Then there is poor Journey into Imagination. I remember loving it when I was a kid. Sadly, my children now refer to it as the "smelly dragon" ride :( I wish they could make it what it was or better. The idea has so much potential but has been shifted to the back burner for years now. Poor Figment!

Expo_Seeker40

The swiss family treehouse is currently under a refurb that is making it look nice and new from top to bottom and with no Tarzan or character overlay.

Country Bears still brings in the crowds.

Snow White is going away.

Sounds dangerous.....does anyone care?

Figment....who knows.

CoP has some murmurs that its going to get a refurb possibly by 2014 (the attraction's 50th anniversary)

G00fyDad

Could something Star Wars related be going into Sounds Dangerous?

I wish! :sohappy: I'd like to see that whole area down there get turned into a "Star Wars Land". Star Tours, Tatooine Traders, Mos Eisley Cantina (Backlot Express), Lightside vs Darkside lightsaber stunt show (IJ Stunt Show), R2-D2 and C3-PO interactive show like the Monsters Inc show (Sounds Dangerous), Star Wars Meet and Greet (American Idol because really, who cares about AI anymore?) :sohappy::sohappy:

duplechien

Blasphemy!! I love both of those rides. ;) Actually, I liked the first Journey the best. :) I'd like to see it get a retrofit. :)

What makes me such a hypocrite is that I call them bad, yet I never visit WDW without riding them:brick: Its kinda like a bad car accident..you just have to see it! In fact, as I type, I cant get "one little spark" outta my head!

Theme Parkitect

Could something Star Wars related be going into Sounds Dangerous?

The article was right about certain rumors that the ever so popular Jedi Training Academy will be moving in, providing better effects, fights, and a more magical experience overall. And who could forget?? AC!!!!! :sohappy: :sohappy: The only downside is that in the first shows, the Jedis were picked at the show, now there is a mad rush (smaller that TSMM :lol:) to go reserve a spot for your kid. This moving of the show will only make it worse, but oh well...

G00fyDad

What makes me such a hypocrite is that I call them bad, yet I never visit WDW without riding them:brick: Its kinda like a bad car accident..you just have to see it! In fact, as I type, I cant get "one little spark" outta my head!

I like the new version but I love the old version. I really don't see what the Dreamfinder was taken out. I know that there was a different sponsor and all but did that sponsor own the Dreamfinder and the layout of the attraction?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom