Zootopia Coming To Shanghai

FigmentFan82

That's not the point. DL is full of lands based on SEPARATE IDEAS. Star Wars is made of up science and what the future might look like but thought a movie. Zootopia shows basically nothing important that relates to us humans. Talking animals will probably not even happen in the future!!! The movie is really good and I'm not hating, it is just that Zootopia fans think that it fits EVERYWHERE
Actually the main narrative in Zootopia is that anyone can be anything and the concepts of living in harmony in a culturally diverse society, and to not judge a person based on who they are or what they're background is. I'd say that is very important and relatable to humans! Obv a WDW version of this land would not just fit anywhere, but IF they brought it over, I'm sure there is somewhere it could go that would work well.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Actually the main narrative in Zootopia is that anyone can be anything and the concepts of living in harmony in a culturally diverse society, and to not judge a person based on who they are or what they're background is. I'd say that is very important and relatable to humans! Obv a WDW version of this land would not just fit anywhere, but IF they brought it over, I'm sure there is somewhere it could go that would work well.

Its also the same concept of the New Soviet Man

Magenta Panther

Well okay yea that's a very accurate statement but now you need to justify Bambi and The Lion King making sense in the park because neither of those are about animals' relations with earth or humans.

Well, actually, Bambi DOES deal with earth and humans - a human hunter kills his mother, after all, and a forest fire nearly kills everyone. Of course, there's no indication, that I remember, that a human set the fire, but that scene was nonetheless used in a PSA from the National Forest Service (starring Smokey Bear) with the message "Only YOU can prevent forest fires":

Anyway - I think a Zooptopia land sounds awesome, especially if AAs are used in an attraction, and if it's a good-quality addition, I hope it makes its way to the U.S. parks, and YES, Animal Kingdom would be a good place for it IMO.

Magenta Panther

No, it makes them a metaphor for human issues

And that's what ALL fictional animal characters that can talk to each other are all about! They are metaphorical humans! For crying out loud, why does this debate keep raging? A talking fox has as much right to be in AK as a freaking Banshee! They're both fictional depictions! Yeesh.

lazyboy97o

Zootopia is an allegory. It is not actually about the interaction of animals, much less man’s relationship with nature and the incredible, beautiful power of nature.

RandySavage

It should be pretty straightforward re: Animal-centered IPs Appropriate for DAK:

- Category A: There are some movies/stories where humans don't exist and animals serve as their replacement (i.e., live in human architecture, use human technology, etc.). Beyond the surface, these are not really about animals and aren't an ideal fit for AK. Examples include Zootopia, Kung Fu Panda, Robin Hood, Wind in the Willows, etc. There would be a sub-category (A1) where animals co-exist, rather than replace humans, but live much as human beings do, such as wearing tailored clothes (i.e., Roger Rabbit, The Rescuers, An American Tail, Rango, etc.). Camp Minnie-Mickey was sort of in this category (though its constituent shows were part of the category below). I'm glad it's gone.

- Category B: Then there are the animal movies/stories where humans are humans (or absent) and animals are playing (anthropomorphic) beings still existing within the animal kingdom (lower case), as on earth. Examples include Lion King, Jungle Book, Bambi. The ones that are mostly focused on animals (e.g., Lion King) as opposed to a story set in a human-dominated world (e.g., Ratatouille) are the ones that best fit DAK.

Last edited:

Timothy_Q

And that's what ALL fictional animal characters that can talk to each other are all about! They are metaphorical humans! For crying out loud, why does this debate keep raging? A talking fox has as much right to be in AK as a freaking Banshee! They're both fictional depictions! Yeesh.
Pretty sure the Banshees don't talk to each other, nor do they represent humans

RandySavage

About the Everest pad... I'm concerned about how close Zootopia is going to be to Pirates.. :confused:
Whatever goes in that space is going to need something big to block the huge unthemed north side of Pirates.

On occasions WDI has themed the backside of one showbuilding to fit & enhance a differently-themed land. The rear of HKDL's Philharmagic does this well with their Adventureland. Paris' Main St back side facing Frontierland is another example. I was hoping EPCOT's Ratatouille would do the same with Morocco.

Will be interesting to see how that cityscape in the art interacts with SDMT, assuming it is going in the Everest Pad. Maybe there will be a rainforest section adjacent to Fantasyland.

RandySavage

From what I read, it appears as though this will only be one attraction, so I dont understand why they didn't just replace Pooh with Zootopia and put something else in the expansion plot.
I'd much rather have this go into its own mini-land than toss out the storybook vibe by replacing Pooh with Zootopia... it's a far less-suiting IP for Fantasyland.

BrianLo

That's true, I would expect that, but just for the sake of it, there's another pad available.
Just talking out of my *** on this one, to open up the debate; but the pad where the Marvel tents are currently sitting is also available. And Zootopia being set in the future, so close to Tomorrowland; and also next to Fantasy Gardens as it is still a Disney animation story.

Now how it would fit in there, given the size of the buildings in the artist rendering, that would be pretty hard to integrate and the view from the hub would probably not be too great.
About the Everest pad... I'm concerned about how close Zootopia is going to be to Pirates.. :confused:

I think Marvel is the one other franchise destined for Shanghai eventually. I think they are just a bit cautious with Hong Kong and that is why it isn't the first major expansion. As @RandySavage mentioned the most ideal place should have been the Toy Story Plot.

I hope and imagine there will be some physical separation so the city scape doesn't exactly loom over Pirates Cove.

BrianLo

I have a feeling this will lead to a Zootopia sequel. And like it or not, I have a gut feeling that down the road this will be coming to WDW. I just hope it goes to DHS and not DAK. I am a bit surprised they dedicated an entire land to Zootopia though. From what I read, it appears as though this will only be one attraction, so I dont understand why they didn't just replace Pooh with Zootopia and put something else in the expansion plot.

I'd much rather have this go into its own mini-land than toss out the storybook vibe by replacing Pooh with Zootopia... it's a far less-suiting IP for Fantasyland.

And to further add on to this, Zootopia still will feature a mega-E ticket seemingly, food, retail, beverage, M&G's etc. Pooh is a tiny little section of Fantasyland with a C-ticket and tea-cups. It would be an absolutely incredible waste of money to knock it all to the ground to access the space behind it 3 years into the parks life cycle.

IF Pooh comes to a head with the government, an overlay to Tangled works fantastically given it exists in a cove with the Ugly Duckling anyways.

lazyboy97o

From what I read, it appears as though this will only be one attraction, so I dont understand why they didn't just replace Pooh with Zootopia and put something else in the expansion plot.
IF Pooh comes to a head with the government, an overlay to Tangled works fantastically given it exists in a cove with the Ugly Duckling anyways.
People’s Liberation Army Daily was not fond of Crazy Animal City and editorialized that it was a vehicle for Western propaganda.

BrianLo

People’s Liberation Army Daily was not fond of Crazy Animal City and editorialized that it was a vehicle for Western propaganda.

I'm surprised the Chinese public embraced the movie as much as they did. Same with Coco.

The whole Pooh thing is a bit ridiculous. But it's also one of the most phoned in elements of opening day Shanghai. Something clearly tacked on for capacity. So if it somehow forces a change all the better.

ThemeParkTraveller

I'm surprised the Chinese public embraced the movie as much as they did. Same with Coco.

The whole Pooh thing is a bit ridiculous. But it's also one of the most phoned in elements of opening day Shanghai. Something clearly tacked on for capacity. So if it somehow forces a change all the better.

I'm not sure about Zootopia, but Coco's success is easier to explain. The key theme of paying respect to one's ancestors resonated heavily in China because of similar traditions and values in their culture.

Magenta Panther

Pretty sure the Banshees don't talk to each other, nor do they represent humans

Okay, fair point, but they're imaginary, just like talking foxes. Remember that DAK was supposed to include imaginary animals as well as real animals. It's just too bad that Iger went with Cameron's talking kitty cats instead of Disney's talking foxes. I'd much prefer the latter in DAK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom