Zootopia Coming To Shanghai

Disney Maddux

Hopefully Iger actually has brains this time and approves the project, not only in Shanghai but in Florida too. The fans have only been demanding it for about two years.
Hopefully he doesn't do what he's done in the past when it comes to Zootopia. I'm already imagining:

Fellow Executive: Sir, now that we've confirmed we're building a Zootopia area in Shanghai, everyone is hoping this means we'll also build one in Animal Kingdom! So, let's get started right away-

Bob Iger: Wait they want us to build an Ice Age area? Perfect!

Fellow Executive: *continues beating head on desk*

NickWilde

Hopefully he doesn't do what he's done in the past when it comes to Zootopia. I'm already imagining:

Fellow Executive: Sir, now that we've confirmed we're building a Zootopia area in Shanghai, everyone is hoping this means we'll also build one in Animal Kingdom! So, let's get started right away-

Bob Iger: Wait they want us to build an Ice Age area? Perfect!

Fellow Executive: *continues beating head on desk*

Six months later...

*Executive bursts through the door, locks it*

Executive: Sir, the Zootopia fans are not pleased with our decisions. They are Boycotting us, and staging a revolt right ou-

Iger: Did you say they are boycotting us? Why is this? We gave them everything they wanted! *sobs over the thought of lost profits*

Executive: We gave them NOTHING they wanted sir. I tried to reason with you, but you can’t get it through your thick skull!

*lynch mob of Zootopia fans break down the locked door, demanding Iger*

*Executive points at Iger* It was him!

*angry fans throw him out the window and force him to watch money burn*

Disney Maddux

Six months later...

*Executive bursts through the door, locks it*

Executive: Sir, the Zootopia fans are not pleased with our decisions. They are Boycotting us, and staging a revolt right ou-

Iger: Did you say they are boycotting us? Why is this? We gave them everything they wanted! *sobs over the thought of lost profits*

Executive: We gave them NOTHING they wanted sir. I tried to reason with you, but you can’t get it through your thick skull!

*lynch mob of Zootopia fans break down the locked door, demanding Iger*

*Executive points at Iger* It was him!

*angry fans throw him out the window and force him to watch money burn*
You just made my day, good sir.

BrianLo

Ironically they'd have been better served by shoehorning in Zootopia in hindsight. I know @WDW1974 said plans are for Everest, Alice and a Marvel coaster, but Zootopia is really the only out and out success in China apart from some Marvel fare.

The entire area behind Fantasyland is also an eventual expansion slot. Whether that means more Fantasyland or another land entirely. There is easily room for two Shanghai-sized lands left. I think the Fantasyland plot is utilized very distantly in the future though, as in not before the next park.

Zootopia seems solid, Everest seems like a potential still if the IP mandate has not buried it. Coco I think is going to be too late. Based on the flurry of activity at all their other parks I think Shanghai's plans are softly decided upon already. Marvel is the other one I agree, I expect an Avengers drop tower where the Launch Bay is. Star Wars is a non-starter.

Without running this off topic completely, Zootopia is a victim of time. It occurred a bit too recently to hop on board any of the major capex projects and fell smack dab into the midst of Disney's ridiculous run of hits. By the time anything really does come around for it I think it won't be a consideration, unless WDS elects to make a sequel. Certainly a possibility as those flood gates have opened with the studio.

The only small chance for it at this stage is Shanghai. But I'm strongly leaning into Zootopia missed the boat on any park representation globally.

I'd like to accept my prize, mostly consisting of gloating if this comes to pass...

But that also means still nothing for WDW. Your only hope now is that WDW can't keep its dirty hands off of other park's projects... which is too frequently the case.

I know that's not the sentiments, but I'd like for this to remain a Shanghai exclusive.

ThemeParkTraveller

I'd like to accept my prize, mostly consisting of gloating if this comes to pass...

But that also means still nothing for WDW. Your only hope now is that WDW can't keep its dirty hands off of other park's projects... which is too frequently the case.

I know that's not the sentiments, but I'd like for this to remain a Shanghai exclusive.

I wonder where a potential Marvel Land fits into all this. Based on recent rumors, it looks like the next phase of SDL expansions is focused on Zootopia followed by Pandora.

Disney Maddux

I do NOT expect this land to be designed in such a way that a direct lift would fit in DAK. I’m expecting something related to urban downtown Zootopia.
The minor details mentioned the area exploring the multiple ecosystems. I don't know if that means throughout the land, or only in one of the rides.

NickWilde

I do NOT expect this land to be designed in such a way that a direct lift would fit in DAK. I’m expecting something related to urban downtown Zootopia.
Yeah, I expect that too, but it doesn’t mean it won’t be able to fit into DAK nicely. For example, because Zootopia is a city full of anthro animals, some of the theming elements and details could go in to show how a city full of human-like animals would function, while also having a land based off a popular IP.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom