Rumor: Will Alcoholic Beverages Be Included on the 2018 Disney Dining Plan?

AC21075

I've never felt the dining plan was worth it in the long run. I still don't, but... including alcohol in the mix is one step in the right direction - because that's closer to what I'm going to do anyway. If I go out, I have a beer or a cocktail with my dinner. If I went out on the dining plan, I was still going to have a beer, and probably a water with dinner, so that soda credit was pretty much wasted for me. I wasn't going to not order what I want (the beer) just because the dining plan didn't allow it, I was going to pay for it out of pocket on top of the dining plan. And it wouldn't steer me to get a soda instead of water just because it was included, any more than I was inclined to get four deserts for my party of four. Now if they changed that desert credit per person to a choice of appetizer or desert (so that my wife and I can share one of each with our individual entrees) you'd almost have me sold...

So I'm not super sympathetic to the non-drinkers out there who might have to pay for something they don't use, since I was paying for a soda credit I wasn't using, but I understand. I'm more sympathetic to the parents of kids 10-18 (or young adults ages 18-21) who are paying for an option they LEGALLY cannot utilize. I'm not sure a specialty NA drink solves that problem.

And I'm definitely curious as to how this impacts alcoholic beverage sales at QS locations in the Magic Kingdom (as a fan of both...)

Last edited:

susan lees

I've never felt the dining plan was worth it in the long run. I still don't, but... including alcohol in the mix is one step in the right direction - because that's closer to what I'm going to do anyway. If I go out, I have a beer or a cocktail with my dinner. If I went out on the dining plan, I was still going to have a beer, and probably a water with dinner, so that soda credit was pretty much wasted for me. I wasn't going to not order what I want (the beer) just because the dining plan didn't allow it, I was going to pay for it out of pocket on top of the dining plan. And it wouldn't steer me to get a soda instead of water just because it was included, any more than I was inclined to get four deserts for my party of four. Now if they changed that desert credit per person to a choice of appetizer or desert (so that my wife and I can share one of each with our individual entrees) you'd almost have me sold...
I think that's why the UK free offer with $200 gift card is so good as you don't feel as though you have to justify what you are choosing. Adding the alcohol makes it even better value.

Darkseid

Yeah, a roughly 10% increase is close enough to call it an inflationary increase. ;)

I am trying to make myself feel better about even considering spending that much more, but you are right. That is a pretty high percentage for inflation, even in Disney inflation terms.

MJ6987

So I'm not super sympathetic to the non-drinkers out there who might have to pay for something they don't use, since I was paying for a soda credit I wasn't using, but I understand. I'm more sympathetic to the parents of kids 10-18 (or young adults ages 18-21) who are paying for an option they LEGALLY cannot utilize. I'm not sure a specialty NA drink solves that problem.

And I'm definitely curious as to how this impacts alcoholic beverage sales at QS locations in the Magic Kingdom (as a fan of both...)

And there you have the reason why they don't give a choice of appetiser or dessert on the Dining Plan - people sharing as you've described here would increase the time that people are taking up the tables.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I'm just curious to know if they'll allow people to order their one alcoholic drink, from any one of the current alcoholic selections, on the restaurant's menu. Or, will they have a separate menu of alcoholic drinks, that are specifically chosen for inclusion in the 2018 dining plan.

Legendary

This is just a way for Disney to justify a price increase in the already overpriced meal plan. In order to break even on the plan you have to order the most expensive items on the menu at each meal. This new addition might be more appealing to some if it gave the flexibility of using it as a premium beverage credit to be used any time like a snack credit. I enjoy a nice cold beer while taking a five minute park bench break!

WWWD

I don't get all the opt-out talk. The price is what it is, even if you don't use all the benefits. It's not like Disney has a tiered system for park admission if you don't or can't do thrill rides. Most the things I purchase in life have benefits or features I never use.

becca_

I don't get all the opt-out talk. The price is what it is, even if you don't use all the benefits. It's not like Disney has a tiered system for park admission if you don't or can't do thrill rides. Most the things I purchase in life have benefits or features I never use.
How is it fair to charge an "adult" price for a 10 year old who is 11 years away from being legally allowed to drink? They LEGALLY cannot "benefit" from the inclusion of alcohol. That's not fair.

becca_

That's why they offer the non-alcoholic "Specialty Drink" as an option.
Some people still don't want those things though, they just want a soda/pop/water etc. I think you should be able to upgrade for $5 a day which is pretty much the price increase from last yr (for QS plan)

AC21075

And there you have the reason why they don't give a choice of appetiser or dessert on the Dining Plan - people sharing as you've described here would increase the time that people are taking up the tables.
I'm not sure Disney cares about the time you're spending at the table, at least not specifically related to this. I'm sure they'd rather you order that appetizer and take as much time as you want enjoying your meal, so long as you're paying for it OUT OF POCKET. They just want to find that balance between what is included and what is not. What can they include that you'll pay for as part of the plan but might not use (like a desert for every person in your party)? Less cost for them. What can they exclude that you'll still pay for? Extra profit for them. I'm sure Disney considers table turnover amongst many factors when managing their restaurants, but as long as they're coming out ahead on Dining Plan Participants vs. regular customers, and I'm pretty sure they are, I'd think they'd do whatever gets more of the former on board and in the door.

WWWD

How is it fair to charge an "adult" price for a 10 year old who is 11 years away from being legally allowed to drink? They LEGALLY cannot "benefit" from the inclusion of alcohol. That's not fair.

How is it fair to charge an 80 year old full price to enter a park? How is it fair to charge a middle aged man the same price for a character meal as an 11 year old (btw: characters are CM's in costumes)? The price is what it is. The alcohol is one benefit (although I don't think the dinning plans have any benefits versus cost). It's not like Disney is pouring alcohol down a kid's throat. You're trying to inject a "legal" argument where there is none. Have you ever paid for a dessert party where alcohol is served, but 10 years old is still an adult?

Wilderness Nut

Even though they have raised the price to $75 for the regular plan it is still cheaper (even if they didn't offer the adult beverage) than trying to eat one quick service, one sit down, and a snack for $75, and I don't mean a buffet. If you were to order a burger platter from any QS restaurant and then a sit down dinner at any one of the many restaurants you would be way over the $75 price tag for the day. I have read a lot about people going off of property to eat. How much did you spend for the car / gas for the week? Disney has sooo many different wonderful restaurants to choose from , Why would you want to go off property? Maybe I've gotten some pixy dust in my eyes, but when I'm at WDW for my vacation, I'm at WDW.

AC21075

Even though they have raised the price to $75 for the regular plan it is still cheaper (even if they didn't offer the adult beverage) than trying to eat one quick service, one sit down, and a snack for $75, and I don't mean a buffet.
I too, am a frequent sufferer of pixie dust and don't feel the need to go off property for my meals, but I don't agree with your numbers. Looking at DDP value calculators, there were only like ten QS and even fewer TS* that got you to or over the break even point and that was the old price. Now, for me at least, giving me two "free" drinks as part of the plan closes that gap a good bit, but I don't think the vast majority of DDP purchasers are going to stumble into a bargain.

*if you're not counting buffets...

AndrewsJ

Even though they have raised the price to $75 for the regular plan it is still cheaper (even if they didn't offer the adult beverage) than trying to eat one quick service, one sit down, and a snack for $75, and I don't mean a buffet. If you were to order a burger platter from any QS restaurant and then a sit down dinner at any one of the many restaurants you would be way over the $75 price tag for the day. I have read a lot about people going off of property to eat. How much did you spend for the car / gas for the week? Disney has sooo many different wonderful restaurants to choose from , Why would you want to go off property? Maybe I've gotten some pixy dust in my eyes, but when I'm at WDW for my vacation, I'm at WDW.
Inaccurate. Nice try though.

StarshipDisney

Well, Disney did what they did so I guess now it is just a matter of if you still want the DDP or not.

When I told my wife about the change, she said "What...only one drink...I guess you have to pay more if you need something else to drink then."

Which is true...how many people don't want a drink refill at dinner? So I guess if I get a specialty drink then I lose the basic free refills and must pay extra to get something more beyond water. That sounds more like a gimmick to me.

I guess we are with the group that frowns on this change because it does not benefit us...but that still changes nothing. I will still drink tea/soda with dinners and stay with the free refills. Guess I need to take a hard look at our specific plans for a given trip, check the menus, add up the meal prices, and see if it adds up to get the DDP at $75/person/day. We'll see.

Legendary

Your numbers are way off. Menus are posted online at various site. Even if you picked the most expensive items you still come out on top paying out of pocket.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom