News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

po1998

I could see guests swallowing the resort fee(assuming it's not a crazy daily price), but IMO, the daily parking fee, especially at the value and moderate, could be the straw that broke the camels back when considering on-site versus off-site.

A 10 day stay with a $300 parking charge? Never paying that. Never ever.

Virtual Toad

What about the Cabins at FW? Will guests have to pay a "parking fee" to park in front of their cabin in the same *&^$ spot they've parked in for free for decades?

Resort fees are for suckers. I do business several times a year in the Orlando/WDW area and refuse to book rooms for my staff at any hotel that charges them. Because there are plenty of great hotels in the area that don't.

I think DisCo has a dramatically over-inflated opinion of their own product. Buh-bye WDW, it's been fun knowing you.

21stamps

What about the Cabins at FW? Will guests have to pay a "parking fee" to park in front of their cabin in the same *&^$ spot they've parked in for free for decades?

Resort fees are for suckers. I do business several times a year in the Orlando/WDW area and refuse to book rooms for my staff at any hotel that charges them. Because there are plenty of great hotels in the area that don't.

I think DisCo has a dramatically over-inflated opinion of their own product. Buh-bye WDW, it's been fun knowing you.
Maybe wait to find out if this is actually true first, before you say goodbye? It sounds fishy to me. No added ammenities or services, but a new resort fee? Doesn't make too much sense. I'll believe it when I see it.

Jon81uk

Really want to know how they are going to work this out with the DVC resorts since we are points based and already pay annual dues for our home resorts.

My guess would be everyone just swipes their magic band at the gate and then the parking charges would be calculated on check-out. If you are DVC then there are no charges.

Virtual Toad

Maybe wait to find out if this is actually true first, before you say goodbye? It sounds fishy to me. No added ammenities or services, but a new resort fee? Doesn't make too much sense. I'll believe it when I see it.

Sorry, I should have qualified my "buh bye" statement. But it wouldn't surprise me in the least if WDW implemented these fees, because it would be right in line with their recent actions.

21stamps

Awww. Bless your heart.

This is an example of how a resort fee is listed. Every resort that I have ever stayed at has always included an itemized list of what the resort fees cover. There's probably legalities involved there.. A property can't just say "We've added a resort fee in the taxes and surcharges without disclosing what they are for."

IMG_1323.jpg

Bocabear

Even some of the larger Hoteliers are starting to rethink resort fees... It is a way to make more money from the guests but creates a lot of ill will...Especially for Disney. Why should we now pay to park our car at the hotel we always parked at before? What the hell are you supposed to do with your car on vacation to avoid high parking fees?
Saying that "The Industry" is charging these fees doesn't necessarily make it the right thing to do. "The Industry" MAny Hotels like Hampton Inns also provide breakfast for their guests in the morning too...That sure isn't going to happen... It wasn't untilmore recently that the premium hotel even got coffee makers in their rooms.
I get it, it's another revenue stream, but when you are already extracting maximum profit from your guests...When hotel priices are already premium, this seems more like a move to try and push the guests right to the edge...In the end, it will create a lot of bad feelings, and cause guests to spend less on their vacations That $30 parking fee is a meal somewhere.... BAD move.

jt04

They might need a 4th parking garage at Disney Springs.

All in all, charging for parking at the resort's is good strategy for a host of reasons. Although this does give Universal an edge I guess.

GlassHalfFull

Well if you pay attention and do your research, "having parking and resort fees" tacked onto off sites were the real life lesson many have learned when booking offsite.. they got a room for 98, but with those 2 they end up at 170-180 a night.. where as staying at a disney resort, the 200-250$ room made more sense once they calculated lost time, gas, etc.. but getting the Villas at Grand Cypress with free parking, free bike rentals, and complementary shuttle to and from the parks(and being closer than some resorts to the parks of MK and Epcot, for 100$ cheaper per night or more at the Poly or Con may be enough for people to get their "premium" stay elsewhere..

Hello rental properties around the area, they not only will have more demand than they previously did, but they can slightly raise their prices and still seem cheap compared to onsite..

my parents place in winter garden looks better and better for where to stay from now on.. I love Disney and want to support their decisions, but if they charge for parking at resorts like this then it quickly adds up to an extra 10-20% tacked on to any trip(unless you get a Castle view suite at Flo)

Bocabear

They might need a 4th parking garage at Disney Springs.

All in all, charging for parking at the resort's is good strategy for a host of reasons. Although this does give Universal an edge I guess.
I fail to see any reason that charging for resort parking is a "Good idea" ...except another greedy cash grab. When are they going to have an extra "Bedding Fee" or tack on a "Clean Towels"fee? It is ridiculous.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
This is an example of how a resort fee is listed. Every resort that I have ever stayed at has always included an itemized list of what the resort fees cover. There's probably legalities involved there.. A property can't just say "We've added a resort fee in the taxes and surcharges without disclosing what they are for."
I know I shouldn't bother, but jeebus you make it hard. Of course Disney will make a list of what the resort fee covers. What everyone is saying, is, they won't add anything you don't already get. I mean, for God's sake.

21stamps

I know I shouldn't bother, but jeebus you make it hard. Of course Disney will make a list of what the resort fee covers. What everyone is saying, is, they won't add anything you don't already get. I mean, for God's sake.

You're DVC right.. in all of your years at Disney do you actually see them adding a fee without any new services? Taking exactly what is there now and charging for it. Alienating their guests and most likely receiving heavy criticism in the press. Can you give me an example of anything like this that has ever occurred?. Apples to Apples, not a dessert party or holiday party which actually do add something extra.

Spectro

So if the rumoured change is implemented, could ap holders who drive to wdw could still technically park for free in theme park car park and leave their car there unless park hopping or going offsite for the day and use Disney transport to get from resort to park....? :confused:

Lets Respect

This tells me that the esteemed WDW is probably selling quite a few rooms through sites like Orbitz etc.

If that's the case, then keeping that initial price down and tacking on fees at the end would keep them more competitive with offsite.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom