Rumor of Pixar Land coming to DHS

ImperfectPixie

I suspect that I agree with you. Take away the shows and DHS is a bit of a boy’s area at this point (though my 15yo daughter thinks it’s great).
Some aspect of princess-ness/femininity probably needs to be maintained.

But the amount of Frozen at WDW is sufficient imho. Something else would be nice
PLEASE...no more princesses. They have an entire park virtually to themselves.

rreading

PLEASE...no more princesses. They have an entire *portion of a land* virtually to themselves.
Edited for accuracy. There are no princesses rides outside of Fantasyland. Fantasyland also has Pooh, Alice, Peter Pan and Small World. Its has three “princess” rides - one of which is the 7DMT if you want to call that a “princess” experience. Another is the Carousel - again pretty gender neutral.

Yes, they are scattered around for meet and greets. Feel free to walk on by.
Honestly, I assumed that you meant MK? Correct me if I’m wrong

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
No. MK is sugary sweet enough. We don't need more of that. One of the things I've always loved about WDW is that HS, Epcot and AK aren't "kiddified".

While I'd agree with you when it comes to the saccharine nature of MK I think this particular IP could work in DHS because it'd be unique; contributing to more world-building in DHS. It's the same logic of putting the Indy IP in DHS vs AK; what's commonplace in one park could be unique in another. And that's not to say that this land couldn't house "non-princess" attractions like a "Hero's Duty Bug Swarm" attraction or even a leisurely arcade just for kiddos to waste time and parents hard-earned coinage... Nothing wrong with "kiddifying" DHS so long as it brings quality attractions. That's the balance.

You'd have the edgy attractions (of which it needs more of... Indy would help) but also more family rides thus pulling them AWAY from MK.

I think Wreck it Ralph is a viable option for that purpose. I've said previously that I wish Disney acquired the Sonic property for much the same reason. World building. Whereas a Frozen land would be too "on the nose" possibly; I think Wreck it Ralph could be more universal in it's appeal, satisfy a few more checkboxes.

Last edited:

Surferboy567

I’m fully behind Ralph, as it is one of my favorite recent Disney movies. Sugar Rush would be great...imagine if it was like RSR and you “raced” others. I know that ride system is already in use but it would work here unless they go down a VR path. It also gives the checkmark to the princess angle, everyone wins.

I would prefer having an Indy area though it would fit in to HWS I believe quite smoothly.

Oh, and if we are throwing out themes Monsters Inc or Incredibles would be sweet. I know their is lots of rumors on them (some I’ve even posted about) but I feel that they would be a great fit.

ImperfectPixie

While I'd agree with you when it comes to the saccharine nature of MK I think this particular IP could work in DHS not necessarily because it's "cute or girly" but because it'd be unique; contributing to more world-building in DHS. It's the same logic of putting the Indy IP in DHS vs AK; what's commonplace in one park could be unique in another. And that's not to say that this land couldn't house other attractions like a "Hero's Duty Bug Swarm" attraction or even a leisurely arcade just for kiddos to waste time and parents hard-earned coinage... Nothing wrong with "kiddifying" DHS so long as it brings quality attractions. That's the balance.

You'd have the edgy attractions (of which it needs more of... Indy would help) but also more family rides thus pulling them AWAY from MK.

I think Wreck it Ralph is a viable option for that purpose. I've said previously that I wish Disney acquired the Sonic property for much the same reason. World building. Whereas a Frozen land would be too "on the nose" possibly; I think Wreck it Ralph could be more universal in it's appeal, satisfy a few more checkboxes.
That saccharine nature is why I don't like the idea of Sugar Rush specifically...it's far too "pink and sweet" looking. I actually love familiy rides...let's just keep the Sugar Rush kind of thing in Fantasyland and be more creative in the other parks. (My boys would be OVER THE MOON if Sonic showed up at Disney, lol.)

Edited for accuracy. There are no princesses rides outside of Fantasyland. Fantasyland also has Pooh, Alice, Peter Pan and Small World. Its has three “princess” rides - one of which is the 7DMT if you want to call that a “princess” experience. Another is the Carousel - again pretty gender neutral.

Yes, they are scattered around for meet and greets. Feel free to walk on by.
Honestly, I assumed that you meant MK? Correct me if I’m wrong
Disney has been beating the public about the head with princesses ever since marketing came up with the "Princesses" line of merchandise. I enjoyed them before then, but it's gotten way past being old at this point. Sorry I wasn't specific enough in my prior comment, Fantasyland is what I meant...but don't forget there are princesses in World Showcase, too. The last thing anyone needs is more princess stuff in the parks.

UNCgolf

I suspect that I agree with you. Take away the shows and DHS is a bit of a boy’s area at this point (though my 15yo daughter thinks it’s great).
Some aspect of princess-ness/femininity probably needs to be maintained.

But the amount of Frozen at WDW is sufficient imho. Something else would be nice

Building a Frozen land would be fine as long as they shut down Frozen Ever After at EPCOT and turned it back into a Norway ride -- I don't see that happening, though.

Which is another problem with the hurried retrofits they did for rides like FEA and Nemo. Both of those franchises could use large, impressive rides, but Disney almost certainly won't do that because they can point at the crappy ones that currently exist and say they're covered.

rreading

Building a Frozen land would be fine as long as they shut down Frozen Ever After at EPCOT and turned it back into a Norway ride -- I don't see that happening, though.

Which is another problem with the hurried retrofits they did for rides like FEA and Nemo. Both of those franchises could use large, impressive rides, but Disney almost certainly won't do that because they can point at the crappy ones that currently exist and say they're covered.

To be clear, I definitely wouldn’t prefer Frozen in DHS- it already has enough presence in WDW. I also don’t need it to be anything “princess” either.
Overlays don’t do much for me either - you usually come out worse on the other end.

HauntedMansionFLA

While I'd agree with you when it comes to the saccharine nature of MK I think this particular IP could work in DHS because it'd be unique; contributing to more world-building in DHS. It's the same logic of putting the Indy IP in DHS vs AK; what's commonplace in one park could be unique in another. And that's not to say that this land couldn't house "non-princess" attractions like a "Hero's Duty Bug Swarm" attraction or even a leisurely arcade just for kiddos to waste time and parents hard-earned coinage... Nothing wrong with "kiddifying" DHS so long as it brings quality attractions. That's the balance.

WIR would be a excellent fit for the area. I take back the Frozen land. You have two movies to work with and Disney +.

A Noble Fish

Disney has so many ridiculously popular IPs they're crazy to not to truly milk them. I mean, most of their remakes are bad, but they make so much money because people love the IPs. That's why sequels don't typically work for them. Fox IPs are great for Hulu & Disney+, but there are only a couple that actually work in the parks. Some IPs will work better than others on this list in regard to placement and, and whether they work in a park. Box office numbers in the list are rounded. IPs should also be beloved/intruiguing not just popular, but bad like Ice Age as it would diminish the quality of the parks. Cars works exceptionally well in the parks because it is modeled after a legitimate place and the Cars feel like 'Disney'. The Cars movies range from decent to good, but films like Ice Age range from average to terrible, and they are awful characters. They would arguably cheapen the parks. Here are some underutilized IP's that Disney needs to be considering:
  • The Lion King (1.7B remake)
  • Beauty & The Beast (1.3B remake)
  • Aladdin (1.0B remake)
  • The Nightmare Before Christmas (Cult-following and a bonafide classic... great for a theme park setting)
  • The Incredibles (1.2B sequel... wildly popular domestically)
  • Finding Nemo/Dory (~1.0B each... also has a huge domestic following... underrepresented)
  • The Jungle Book (1.0B remake... also high-quality unlike most of the remakes/sequels of late)
  • Pirates of the Caribbean (1.6B adjusted for inflation for Dead Men's Chest, but it even has staying power as the sequels get worse...)
  • Alice in Wonderland (1.0B... the sequel's popularity doesn't matter, the Alice in Wonderland itself beloved)
  • Indiana Jones (Billions adjusted for inflation, but has so much untapped potential)
  • Peter Pan (Wildly popular even as Disney doesn't do a remake and rival studios' awful attempts flop)
  • Inside Out (900M)
  • Coco (800M... less popular domestically, but still popular and growing. Perfect fit for EPCOT)
  • Moana (700M... the box office is solid but more popular than that number suggests)
  • Zootopia (1.0B... but perhaps better for China)
  • Mary Poppins (Returns was not a good indicator of the IPs popularity)
  • Sleeping Beauty/Maleficent (800M... Again, Maleficent 2's BO does not indicate the popularity. There was no interest in a sequel to a mediocre film. Maleficent is the more popular aspect of the story).
  • Monsters Inc. (750M for the mediocre but fun sequel)
  • Cinderella (500M remake)
  • Narnia (1.0B adjusted for inflation for the first film... Disney doesn't seem to have or is interested in the rights anymore)
  • Lilo and Stitch (Stitch is one of the most popular characters in the world like Mickey Mouse)
  • Mulan (Even with COVID-19, the sequel should be a huge hit. The IP alone is also beloved... the remake landed a PG-13 rating)
  • Hercules (Beloved today)
  • Tarzan (Popular today and has aged well)
  • 101 Dalmatians (Was hugely successful, and definitely still known and loved today)
  • Tangled (600M)
  • Wreck-it-Ralph (500M, original and its sequel)
  • Big Hero 6 (650M)
  • Up (700M)
  • Alien (What an underappreciated Fox IP... the box office doesn't matter all that much for this IP)
  • Planet of the Apes (Another underappreciated Fox IP... I don't think War's box office take hurts it as a brand at all)
  • Don't knock Winnie the Pooh/The Muppets/Hunchback/Wall-E/The Princess and the Frog/Fantasia/Pocahontas/Pinocchio/Dumbo/Bambi as un-viable options, though I think the last three should stay at B/C-tickets.
  • Even Songs of the South has beloved characters if you stick to the animated segments, although we already have a masterpiece there!
They finally brought/are bringing these to life in a big way (Mermaid's miss-fire is not getting hardly anything out of the brand, and Frozen's placement and scale are poor choices for the IP):
  • Mickey Mouse (Multi-billion $ franchise)
  • Ratatouille (600M, more adjusted for inflation, and a masterpiece of a film that's beloved even more now)
  • Star Wars (Billions)
  • Toy Story (1.1B per modern sequel)
  • Frozen 1/2 (1.2-1.4B)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy 1/2 (800-900M, works better in theme parks and feels more Disney than other Avengers properties, and its allowed in the swamps)
  • TRON (400M, but is a brilliant use of an IP and is one that relies on visuals and music makes it perfectly suited for a theme park... also super Instagramable, so it makes sense)
  • Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs (A popular presence even today, and one that works both as a C-ticket Fantasyland dark ride and a D-ticket coaster)

I'm not saying every ride has to have a mega E-ticket, and an IP's popularity is not an indicator of a ride's success, or even that every IP has to have a theme park presence. IP's have to work well. For instance, Pandora's success is because Avatar works so well in a themed environment that was fitted for Animal Kingdom specifically, but it's painful how underutilized Disney is using its catalog. There needs to be an immediate plan to bring in E-tickets for their most popular, beloved IP's in a proper manner if there are great concepts. It's madness. Beauty/Lion/Aladdin/Nightmare/Incredibles/Nemo/Indy come to mind as great choices for the swamps.

The 90's Animated films seemingly in this order have maintained a presence that is different than say the older franchises (Except for Peter Pan, Alice, and Jungle Book) while they may be as equally beloved. Dumbo and Cinderella may be loved, but they aren't as strong of a brand to elicit emotions like these can:
  1. The Lion King
  2. Beauty and the Beast
  3. Aladdin
  4. The Nightmare Before Christmas
  5. The Little Mermaid (The music is so closely tied to Disney)
  6. Mulan (Its box office and theme park draw may actually be higher than Mermaid today, but that is unknown... COVID-19 and the film's controversies/quality may damper the film's success but Mulan from the 90's is beloved)
  7. Hercules (People love this movie)
  8. Tarzan (The soundtrack, the iconic story, it's wonderful, and people love it too)
  9. Hunchback (Best as a PG-13 oscar-buzz musical... Has a cult-following... I rewatched it recently and it's actually a good movie with epic music!)
  10. Pocahontas (It's not as bad as people say, and it boasts an incredible soundtrack and score, but its pull is not as large as the others)
Alongside these, there needs to be non-IP's, and it needs to be done in a realistic way, fitting way unlike Frozen in Norway. Yet those five especially need larger presences sometime this decade.

I don't think a Pixar Land is a good way to address this issue and would be instead done on the cheap. I think getting near their current pace of development is the way to go and including these as part of the next phase would prove successful if their art style works in a themed environment.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom