Politics RUMOR: Lin Manuel Miranda and Weird Al to Redo Hall of Presidents

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

_caleb

Uh, what? I assume you have never seen the show. They are out of time - both commenting about each other's eras and acknowledging they are currently in the 20th Century.

Ben Franklin:
Perhaps you recognize those inspiring words from one of America's great writers.

Mark Twain:
No, Dr. Franklin, I don't recall writing anything like that.

Ben Franklin:
Oh my, of course not.
They're from the pen of John Steinbeck here in the 20th century.
Why it seems he has nearly the same spirit as the founding fathers themselves.

Mark Twain:
Well, listen to the proud elder statesman.

Ben Franklin:
Mr. Twain, pride is one of our national passions.
Even those who overcome it, are proud of their humility.

Mark Twain:
Easy now, I was born modest.
Fortunately, it wore off.

Ben Franklin:
Hoho.

Mark Twain:
Dr. Franklin, as our genuine American antique, I suppose our story begins with you.
Of course I’ve seen the show! I really like it!

Having Franklin and Twain on stage together is a cool way to begin the story in an interesting—if less than historically accurate—way. My point was that these things do not make an historical drama “revisionist.” If the American Adventure isn’t (and I think most here would agree that it’s not), than neither is Hamilton for its dramatic license.

_caleb

When a president is addressing the audience, the other presidents in the background should be hitting a beach ball around.
Disney does have a history of using beach balls to liven up boring attractions!
99B0ED3D-3AE5-4BAC-B38A-04331E379377.gif

SoFloMagic

If you think the average person walks out of that show thinking he was a white British citizen who legally moved from one British colony to another British colony, I have some mid-orchestra seats for tomorrow night's show to sell ya. And again, this is from someone who loves the show and has seen it multiple times. But that line is straight up pandering for the reaction.
Do you think people know that the cats in cats aren't cats? Straight up pandering to cat lovers.

thomas998

I dunno. Is it really different from someone coming from Puerto Rico to one of the 50 states today for job opportunities? Yes, not a true "immigrant" but certainly involving some of the same challenges.
What challenges are the same? If you are from Puerto Rico you have full access to enter and live in the US, no Visa or anything else required, so what is similar to other actual immigrants?

SoFloMagic

The musical is rife with historical inaccuracies. Do you want a list?
I don't know what you want from a drama. It's a piece of art that speaks broadly to hard work, patriotism (true patriotism, not flag-waving) , and love and loss while telling a story based on an imperfect man and the founding of our country. Its a story about a time of intense racism and slavery told by a diverse cast, which is pretty powerful.

Everyone gets to have their own opinion, and you're allowed to not like it, but I hope you watch it again with an open mind and give it a fair chance.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Hall of Presidents isn't supposed to be a Broadway show. It's supposed to be an historical lesson.
We don't need more revisionist history from a person with a clear political bias and proclivity.
In the words of Charles Emerson Winchester, "sir, I am so conservative that I make you look like a New Dealer," yet I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about when you claim that there's political bias in Hamilton. No, it's not historically precise, but the inaccuracies are for dramatic purposes, not political ones.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
You have to love America to tell a positive story about America. Miranda's political affiliations clearly align with those who hate America.
Hamilton is, for my money, as patriotic as The American Adventure or Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. And again, I don't think I agree with Lin-Manuel Miranda on a single political issue.

Give "One Last Time" a listen again.

MickeyLuv'r

Not for nothing, but LMM himself has said that Hamilton's story intrigued him as an immigrant story, as it reminded him about his father's travails in coming from Puerto Rico.

Interesting, because more or less- the people I know would generally say almost the opposite. Because people from PR are often fluent in Spanish, they get mistaken for immigrants, so they get tired of having to explain that they are proudly AMERICAN.

In the past few years, obviously, PR has been hard hit economically.

Previously, it was normal (and very important) for folks from PR to regularly travel back and forth for summer vacations, to visit family, to keep their culture and identity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom