Politics RUMOR: Lin Manuel Miranda and Weird Al to Redo Hall of Presidents

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

Matt_Black

All right, all right, I'll settle this. I will write a new show that goes in the Hall Of Presidents. An epic musical extravaganza about that great American... Adlai Stevenson! Here's a preview-

Adlai Stevenson
A giant of a man, he weighs a ton!
Adlai Stevenson
And now his story's begun!

Since it's not a celebrity doing the new show, everyone should be cool with this, right? (And I haven't even gotten into the song featuring the phony Final Fantasy 6 quotes!)

Last edited:

Bleed0range

I guess I'm in the minority that thinks this is a bad idea. I love Big Al, have for a long time, but I just don't think that the Hall of Presidents needs to be turned into some crazy funky experience. It's one of the attractions that needs to remain as one of the few "teaching" attractions that the parks still have left. Not everything has to be turned into a fun thrill ride or something similar. With that said, if this does gain traction, I would reserve my judgement until I see what they actually come up with. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I really do enjoy the reverence that the current Hall of Presidents shows to the Office of the Presidency.

I’m on the fence about it but I lean towards keeping it educational. When I was a kid, the purely educational attractions were just as much fun and entertaining to me as the purely “fun” ones were.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
You say the price of admission's not the price that you're willing to pay.
You cry, for updates to classics instead of our cheap replacements
Why so sad?
Remember we paid lots of money for social reform.
Now we're making you mad?
Remember, despite all our budget cuts, you still come

You'll be back, soon you'll see
You'll remember you can't leave Disney
You'll be back, time will tell
When we cast our money spell
Coasters rise, classics fall
We will kill memories through it all
And when push comes to shove
We will kill classics and theming to remind you of our love...

DADADADUH..DIEEEEEE DUH DA DAH DUH DIEEEYAADAAA DUH DUH DUH DUH DAAAYAAAHHDAAAA

You say the magic's draining and you can't go on
You'll be the one complaining, but you'll still come
And no don't change the subject
'Cause you're our favorite subjects
Our sweet at loyal subjects
Forever, and ever...
And ever and ever and ever.......

You'll be back, like before
We will retheme rides and kill the core
Of the land, of it's theme
And you'll still love us till your dying days

When you're gone, we'll change things
We'll throw away classics for cha-ching
'Cause when push, comes to shove
We will make pirates culturally sensitive to remind you of our love

Everybody!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There are moments that the words don't reach
There is suffering too terrible to name
What you loved is not the same.
And push away the unimagineering.

The moments when you're in so deep
It feels easier to go six flags.
Since presidents themed with gags.
And learn to live with the unimagineering.

A little airchair Imagineering here. HOP has two main parts, the film and the AA panorama. The film is an overview of history usually based around a through line (e.g. anybody can become president in Freeman version; I haven't seen latest due to hurricanes and coronavirus). This is probably the part most people find "boring" or soporific because it is subdued and respectful. It also seems like this would be the part that would be "plussed" by Miranda and Yankovic. This is really no different than what they do every eight years or so anyway. It is possible to add a touch of levity to the proceedings (e.g. Franklin and Twain in American Adventure) without becoming a "rap polka" or a descent into insults and vulgarity of "Under New Management".

Regarding the AA section, I think that simplifying this section is not just a "gutless" company "caving" to pressure, but rather removing a potential headache. Even if people are mature enough not to boo the current president, there are still those who may avoid the attraction altogether or at least have their "magical" experience tainted by a tinge of partisanship. It also removes the hassle of creating a fully articulated AA for each new president instead of the limited ones like the Franklin Pierce. You could shift lines to Washington and Lincoln (who already speak more than the current president), or have a few other presidents (say with 50+ years of history behind them) speak of particular virtues connected to them. This would also be a return in many ways to the 1971-1993 version. I feel like these changes would please many people and would not even be noticed by a large percentage of guests.

TiggerDad

Personally I'd prefer the presidents to recite in full the Declaration of Independence followed by a 90 minute debate about its meaning and promise or some such.

I was born on the wrong planet.
The Declaration is interesting, but for actual legal impact, the Constitution is more relevant. You could assign different clauses and amendments to each of the 45 to explain, and could probably take up the whole day with the presentation.

No Name

I'd be OK with this. HoP is quite boring and I like LMM and Weird Al. The amount of hate LMM is getting is ...suspect.

The opinions on this forum are often oddly different from those of the majority of guests. This place comes off as a weird faction that I’m increasingly glad Disney doesn’t listen to.

Mainahman

Doesn't the Hall of Presidents have the capacity to seat somewhere in the ballpark of 800 guests? Perhaps a show popular enough to consistently take that many people out of lines for other attractions wouldn't be such a bad thing, even if we do lose the spirit of the old shows.
I love this idea. Would help eat people for sure.

DisneyCane

I'd be OK with this. HoP is quite boring and I like LMM and Weird Al. The amount of hate LMM is getting is ...suspect.
I like Weird Al. I don't really have much opinion about LMM's work. The only thing I'm "suspect" about is that two artists that are clearly on one side of the political "center" will create a truly "non-partisan" show. I'm sure they are capable of doing it but I'm skeptical there wouldn't be some subtle partisanship in there.

_caleb

I like Weird Al. I don't really have much opinion about LMM's work. The only thing I'm "suspect" about is that two artists that are clearly on one side of the political "center" will create a truly "non-partisan" show. I'm sure they are capable of doing it but I'm skeptical there wouldn't be some subtle partisanship in there.
In your opinion, is Hamilton (the musical) partisan?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom