Politics RUMOR: Lin Manuel Miranda and Weird Al to Redo Hall of Presidents

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

Sir_Cliff

I get the whole "Disney World isn't a museum" bit, but if the changes they are making are worse then the originals. Then we are left with a worse version of Disney World.

Using a museum for an example, People don't say "Take that stupid Mona Lisa painting off the wall, I'm going to put up a finger painting by my 3 year old son Oscar."
In this case, how on earth do you know it will be worse? The current HoP is not exactly the Mona Lisa and features a show that is less than 4 years old.

Robbiem

I think if this is true (which it may well be) its a case of Disney doing a ‘captain eo’ and using current talent to ‘fix’ a problem

remember in the 80s Disney pre Eisner was seen as uncool so they hire Lucas, Coppola & Jackson to make Captain Eo and appeal to the in crowd and it worked.

Fast forward to now. HoP has had a long run and isn’t seen by some as being a ‘modern’ attractio, a relic of the post walt era like that 80s tomorrowland. Liberty square as a whole could be viewed like this a bit like old tomorrowland. After the splashlash Disney are probably worried about reaction to their parks and HoP is potentially on their firing line so what do they do? Bring in the man who wrote a popular musical about the founding of America like they did with Lucas. They can then say look we’ve brought our parks upto date and made them more hip and now. Its the same Hollywood thinking that gives you endless movies about a subject or theme because there was a huge hit about it before.

Personally I’m neutral. I haven’t watched Hamilton, nothing against the creators but I just don’t like rap music. The HoP show will change over the next few years at some time either after November or in 2024 when you get a new president so I suspect this is a case of what not if

Last edited:

SoupBone

I guess I'm in the minority that thinks this is a bad idea. I love Big Al, have for a long time, but I just don't think that the Hall of Presidents needs to be turned into some crazy funky experience. It's one of the attractions that needs to remain as one of the few "teaching" attractions that the parks still have left. Not everything has to be turned into a fun thrill ride or something similar. With that said, if this does gain traction, I would reserve my judgement until I see what they actually come up with. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I really do enjoy the reverence that the current Hall of Presidents shows to the Office of the Presidency.

21stamps

I think if this is true (which it may well be) its a case of Disney doing a ‘captain eo’ and using current talent to ‘fix’ a problem

remember in the 80s Disney pre Eisner was seen as uncool so they hire Lucas, Coppola & Jackson to make Captain Eo and appeal to the in crowd and it worked.

Fast forward to now. HoP has had a long run and isn’t seen by some as being a ‘modern’ attractio, a relic of the post walt era like that 80s tomorrowland. Liberty square as a whole could be viewed like this a bit like old tomorrowland. After the splashlash Disney are probably worried about reaction to their parks and HoP is potentially on their firing line so what do they do? Bring in the man who wrote a popular musical about the founding of America like they did with Lucas. They can then say look we’ve brought our parks upto date and made them more hip and now. Its the same Hollywood thinking that gives you endless movies about a subject or theme because there was a huge hit about it before.

Personally I’m neutral. I haven’t watched Hamilton, nothing against the creators but I just don’t like rap music. The HoP show will change over the next few years at some time either after November or in 2024 when you get a new president so I suspect this is a case of what not if

I don’t think the Liberty Square theme will ever be dated or uncool.. that’s the beauty of it, imo.
Trends change, modern becomes out of fashion, but something with such historical relevance is immune from trends. HoP is relevant to every generation.

mwf5555

Yes Ma'am. Of course, the difficulty about the warning is you can't go back to see what you said that crossed the line, because the post has been deleted.
Isn't Politics and Social Issues tied to this topic? Call me crazy... Am I allowed to say cancel culture is now calling for Hamilton to be shut down that Lin created?? It all ties together...

TrainsOfDisney

The comparison to captain EO certainly makes sense but Disney just spent a lot of money making hall of Presidents modern. And it succeeded. It feels like a modern day documentary that comes to life.

I think the issue is wanting to create something a bit more timeless that doesn’t have to be updated every 4-8 years and that doesn’t create so much political tension. Disney keeps 2 security guards standing inside the attraction to handle people that shout out and make a scene.

Add to that the ability to link it to a modern day IP... makes total business sense.

MickeyMouse10

In this case, how on earth do you know it will be worse? The current HoP is not exactly the Mona Lisa and features a show that is less than 4 years old.

If Mister Miranda is involved then it will probably suck. I don't think history should be joked about... unless it's by the Muppets. And even then they shouldn't be taking over Hall of Presidents.

However if they want to give Mister Miranda his own lousy show that I can avoid then they can go right ahead.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom