Politics RUMOR: Lin Manuel Miranda and Weird Al to Redo Hall of Presidents

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

carolina_yankee

I didnā€™t realize just how connected with Disney Lin-Manuel Miranda is until I saw a ā€œ7 things you didnā€™t knowā€ video on YouTube last night. Some I knew that has already been mentioned, but I didnā€™t know he wrote the cantina song for Force Awakens or that he was to be involved in the live action Little Mermaid. He even named his son Sebastian. He clearly loves Disney and is connected to the Mouse, so having him do something in any capacity for an attraction makes sense.

If one reads the various critiques of Hamilton, Miranda infuriates both the right and the left, and also counts among his deepest supporters the right and the left. I mean, both Dick [Hmm. Ok. Richard] Cheney and Barack Obama loved ā€œHamilton.ā€ The guy has a Pulitzer, Emmy, Grammy, and Tony. Heā€™s not easily dismissed as a flash in the pan or irrelevant.

Touchdown

Some people are offended by having people of color portray white historical figures. Of course, other people are offended by having white actors portray people of color.

Iā€™ll wait and see if they could reliably find white actors who can rap 5.4 words per second (Guns and Ships preformed by the Marquis) or even 5 words per second (Satisfied by Angelica.)

Lets just say my people have not found much success in the rap genre (other then a few rare exceptions.)

DisneyOutsider

I didnā€™t realize just how connected with Disney Lin-Manuel Miranda is until I saw a ā€œ7 things you didnā€™t knowā€ video on YouTube last night. Some I knew that has already been mentioned, but I didnā€™t know he wrote the cantina song for Force Awakens or that he was to be involved in the live action Little Mermaid. He even named his son Sebastian. He clearly loves Disney and is connected to the Mouse, so having him do something in any capacity for an attraction makes sense.

If one reads the various critiques of Hamilton, Miranda infuriates both the right and the left, and also counts among his deepest supporters the right and the left. I mean, both **** [Hmm. Ok. Richard] Cheney and Barack Obama loved ā€œHamilton.ā€ The guy has a Pulitzer, Emmy, Grammy, and Tony. Heā€™s not easily dismissed as a flash in the pan or irrelevant.

He's essentially been immortalized by the success of Hamilton.

One of the most successful and highly-regarded musicals of all-time. That's not up for debate, really. He'll be considered a legend for a very long time to come.

carolina_yankee

Iā€™ll wait and see if they could reliably find white actors who can rap 5.4 words per second (Guns and Ships preformed by the Marquis) or even 5 words per second (Satisfied by Angelica.)

Lets just say my people have not found much success in the rap genre (other then a few rare exceptions.)

Color-blind casting is also more common on stage than in film. Opera is a conservative genre, and it was controversial to cast African-American leads in very obviously white or Asian roles in the ā€˜50s, but great singers and actors overcame that and now hardly anybody thinks about it.

The casting in Hamilton definitely makes a point, which is part of why some people love it and some people hate it, and not necessarily from the usual ā€œcamps.ā€

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Most people when they hear the name Lin Manuel Miranda they think of Hamilton. He also did songs for Moana as well. In addition to those achievements he is also the creator of another musical In The Heights. Writing the music and lyrics.

Indeed.

Lin's totally embedded with Disney now.
  • voice for Disney animation series
  • producing the live action Little Mermaid remake
  • wrote additional songs for the last two Star Wars movies
  • music for upcoming Encanto film
  • part of the Disney family sing-along

Kamikaze

How is it way out there? There are historical inaccuracies, somethingā€™s are clearly made up to try and help support the authors intent/make a good subplot (Hamilton never spoke out about slavery, Angelica was already married when she met Hamilton and that family had male heirs, Hercules Mulligans spying on the British was mainly possible because his slave was willing to report British officers conversations, Phillip Hamilton was not Alexanderā€™s only son) and there are plenty of timeline simplifications (which are much more excusable in adapting something to theatre.) It is surprisingly historically accurate in its field. If you are looking for a way out there view of American History check out The Greatest Showman.

He wanted slaves to be able to fight for their freedom - at the very least. His (probably sexual) relationship with Laurens probably would have extended to him becoming more anti-slavery had Laurens lived through the Revolution. Without getting further into it, the country would be different if Hamilton had not died in the duel.

One of many letters.

gerarar

Premium Member
I hope they donā€™t get rid of all the animatronics in the show!

That moment when the curtain rises and all the presidents/AAā€™s are revealed is jaw-dropping and amazing! I took my parents to the show for the first time this past Christmas, and they were simply amazed at the amount of animatronics in one place, on one single stage!

Also, hearing the reactions like ā€œWowā€ and ā€œWhoaā€ from people around you when the reveal happens is also priceless.

As for the show itself, I thought it was a well put-together production that rightfully garners lots of reactions and applause at the end.

ElvisMickey

The Beastie Boys havenā€™t done much since Adam Yauch died. Maybe we can have Mike D and Ad-Rock in the HOP preshow area and have them entertain us on screen, kind of like a Muppet Vision 3D preshow thing. They have this great song about Brooklyn that would tie into Hamilton perfectly šŸ˜œ...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The Beastie Boys havenā€™t done much since Adam Yauch died. Maybe we can have Mike D and Ad-Rock in the HOP preshow area and have them entertain us on screen, kind of like a Muppet Vision 3D preshow thing. They have this great song about Brooklyn that would tie into Hamilton perfectly šŸ˜œ...

Presidential hype boyyyz!

Magenta Panther

So I'm curious: what is it about HoP's depiction of history that's boring to some here, specifically? Not enough giant robots, magic wands or lightsabers? Does everything in WDW have to be paced and scripted to please actual and emotional 5-year-olds and their limited attention spans?

True story: When "The Little Mermaid" animated film was first test-screened, the children in the audience got restless during the song "Part Of Your World". A Disney higher-up decided that the song must go. Infantile tastes must appeased! Others urged that the song be left in, and the rest is history.

Let's hope this appalling rumor is just that. The sad thing is that Robert Iger is so shallow, so oblivious, and so lacking in taste that the rumor might have some credence. Let's see the jerk try to run for political office - possibly President - after he rips out the Hall of Presidents in WDW. His opponents would have a field day. :D

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
So I'm curious: what is it about HoP's depiction of history that's boring to some here, specifically? Not enough giant robots, magic wands or lightsabers? Does everything in WDW have to be paced and scripted to please actual and emotional 5-year-olds and their limited attention spans?

True story: When "The Little Mermaid" animated film was first test-screened, the children in the audience got restless during the song "Part Of Your World". A Disney higher-up decided that the song must go. Infantile tastes must appeased! Others urged that the song be left in, and the rest is history.

Let's hope this appalling rumor is just that. The sad thing is that Robert Iger is so shallow, so oblivious, and so lacking in taste that the rumor might have some credence. Let's see the jerk try to run for political office - possibly President - after he rips out the Hall of Presidents in WDW. His opponents would have a field day. :D
Personally, I think the problem is a certain segment of the population simply can't behave in public, and Disney is done with dealing with it.

I have probably seen HOP 20-30 times in the last 12 years and I can count the number of times that some moron had a comment for the AA of the current president on one hand. I don't see that situation improving anytime soon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom