Politics RUMOR: Lin Manuel Miranda and Weird Al to Redo Hall of Presidents

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

WDW Pro

Original Poster
So put this one in the rumor category for now because it's not a done deal as of yet. However, with three separate sources reporting the same negotiations to me, I'm certain things are being worked on, whether they come to fruition or not.

What I've been informed of is that Disney is interested in getting away from the polarization inherent in Hall of Presidents as it currently is formatted. They're also interested in not spending large sums each time a new president is elected. Therefore Disney has reached out and is in talks with Lin Manuel Miranda and Weird Al Yankovic to write and direct a new Hall of Presidents theater show that would be non partisan and more timeless. This would not be a direct import of Hamilton, but might feature some influence. I have no info whatsoever about the animatronics or the costumes, but I can't fathom Disney discarding them. I'm told the vision of the show is "historical but witty".

While I've been somewhat displeased with Disney as of late, I have to say this rumor could actually turn out well. If they can thread the needle of being humorous, witty, historical, and interesting, all while not being offensive, I'm all for it. Weird Al potentially being involved took me seriously by surprise, but I could see this working in a zany way.

UPDATE JULY 15th:
One of my three original contacts maintains talks were amicably ended with Miranda. My other two contacts have not heard any movement. While talks could resume, consider this currently stalled or unlikely.

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

Unless they can get the Robo-presidents dancing the Macarena I'll just wait..
chinese-company-sets-guinness-world-record-for-the-most-robots-dancing-simultaneously.gif

Homemade Imagineering

So put this one in the rumor category for now because it's not a done deal as of yet. However, with three separate sources reporting the same negotiations to me, I'm certain things are being worked on, whether they come to fruition or not.

What I've been informed of is that Disney is interested in getting away from the polarization inherent in Hall of Presidents as it currently is formatted. They're also interested in not spending large sums each time a new president is elected. Therefore Disney has reached out and is in talks with Lin Manuel Miranda and Weird Al Yankovic to write and direct a new Hall of Presidents theater show that would be non partisan and more timeless. This would not be a direct import of Hamilton, but might feature some influence. I have no info whatsoever about the animatronics or the costumes, but I can't fathom Disney discarding them. I'm told the vision of the show is "historical but witty".

While I've been somewhat displeased with Disney as of late, I have to say this rumor could actually turn out well. If they can thread the needle of being humorous, witty, historical, and interesting, all while not being offensive, I'm all for it. Weird Al potentially being involved took me seriously by surprise, but I could see this working in a zany way.
I know it’s just a rumor, but if this becomes official, and Joe Biden wins the election, causing Disney to add a new Joe Biden AA to replace Trump, could they just opt out and go along with this plan and rework the show to this instead of creating another AA?

Mickey Pride

I hope this works out. Both Lin Manuel Miranda and Weird Al are pure geniuses. I think with them putting their musical knowledge, Weird Al's craziness and Lin Manuel Miranda's knowledge of American History together this could be a huge success.

WDW Pro

Original Poster
I know it’s just a rumor, but if this becomes official, and Joe Biden wins the election, causing Disney to add a new Joe Biden AA to replace Trump, could they just opt out and go along with this plan and rework the show to this instead of creating another AA?

My guess is that if they go ahead with this, they would retire the concept of the current president giving a speech. Again, that's a guess on a rumor.

FigmentJedi

My guess is that if they go ahead with this, they would retire the concept of the current president giving a speech. Again, that's a guess on a rumor.
I mean, they should have done that anyways. The novelty of seeing the current robo-president talk has long been outweighed by the pasttime of booing the current robo-president and given the delay of the last refurb, I was so sure that they knew that too, but they went through with it anyways.

Homemade Imagineering

This all seems very intriguing and exciting! It’ll be interesting to see what Lin Manuel Miranda and Weird Al come up with. I would’ve never guessed that someone like Weird Al would be working with Lin 🤣🤣.

carolina_yankee

I’m highly intigued. I totally see Lin-Manuel Miranda, and Weird Al is a genius, but for one who isn’t totally familiar with his work beyond a few examples, what would he bring that pairs with Lin-Manuel as will as history? Not critical - genuinely curious.

jt04

Something like this could work for sure! Maybe available during special events (something they need do to more of)

However there will be a lot of disgruntled guests if the traditional show is not available regularly. Much more so than if CBJ gets reimagined because it has gotten too long in the tooth. Heh.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom