RUMOR: Disney to charge for extra FP+ after AVATARland and StarWarsLand are built

EnchantedMouse

Original Poster
Dear all,

A friend of mine knows someone who works at Disney's Corporate Finance area. He works at the corporate office, not at the parks. According to my source Disney wants to charge for FP+ to increase revenue, similar to what other parks are doing. He says the reason they haven't done it is they don't have enough rides that demand FP+ and so there aren't enough FP+ slots to sell.

Basically he said that if they offered FP+ for sale, but they ran out of slots and you couldn't buy the FPs it would be a PR nightmare.

The solution, according to him, is that Disney needs to build more high-priority rides. So once AVATARland and Star Wars Land are built he says they will then start charging for FP+. He says it probably won't be a resort-type benefit, but instead it would be priced in groups: 3 FPs for $15, 5 for $25, unlimited for $50. Those aren't actual prices, just something he said they've been throwing around.

He also said they are going to end free FPs at some point and make people pay for the benefit.

The most important thing to take out of this is he said this is the finance group's long range financial plan concept and these changes would happen towards the end of their 10 year financial forecast. So probably after 2020.

Keep an eye out ;)

My excuses for posting this twice, one version can be seen in the AVATARland forum.

- EnchantedMouse

ToTBellHop

Dear all,

A friend of mine knows someone who works at Disney's Corporate Finance area. He works at the corporate office, not at the parks. According to my source Disney wants to charge for FP+ to increase revenue, similar to what other parks are doing. He says the reason they haven't done it is they don't have enough rides that demand FP+ and so there aren't enough FP+ slots to sell.

Basically he said that if they offered FP+ for sale, but they ran out of slots and you couldn't buy the FPs it would be a PR nightmare.

The solution, according to him, is that Disney needs to build more high-priority rides. So once AVATARland and Star Wars Land are built he says they will then start charging for FP+. He says it probably won't be a resort-type benefit, but instead it would be priced in groups: 3 FPs for $15, 5 for $25, unlimited for $50. Those aren't actual prices, just something he said they've been throwing around.

He also said they are going to end free FPs at some point and make people pay for the benefit.

The most important thing to take out of this is he said this is the finance group's long range financial plan concept and these changes would happen towards the end of their 10 year financial forecast. So probably after 2020.

Keep an eye out ;)

My excuses for posting this twice, one version can be seen in the AVATARland forum.

- EnchantedMouse
Star Wars Land is in doubt, so I doubt this. I don't think an E/D Ticket and a D/C Ticket at DAK are the difference b/t WDW having enough rides and not having enough. I would find it hilarious if the MBAs actually think AVATAR is all WDW needs. Thanks for the info, though. I bet the pencil pushers WISH they could charge for FP+, but they don't yet have a sellable product. By 2020, we'll have to pay $150/day to get into DAK for the right to spend $50 to be able to ride Soarin' Over Unobtanium without a 4-hour wait. Joy.

Jimmy Thick

While I don't doubt such long term possibilities, unfortunately I'll believe it when I see it.

Jimmy Thick- Disney joins everyone else...

EnchantedMouse

Original Poster
While I don't doubt such long term possibilities, unfortunately I'll believe it when I see it.

Jimmy Thick- Disney joins everyone else...

This is only a rumor. My friend knows someone who is a member of the Disney's Corporate Finance area, who I also met on my trip to FL.

Nothing is for sure. I doubt it all too. I don't have much information, so I can't confirm anything.

-EnchantedMouse

Gomer

Large companies have proposals like this on the books to cut costs/increase revenue all the time. That doesn't mean it’s been approved. I'm sure the same finance people have proposals on things like cutting fireworks and eliminating the monorail too. It’s their job to come up with ideas like that. Doesn't mean it will happen. Unfortunately, it doesn't mean it won't happen either.

BigGreen73

"Rumor" or not, it's inevitable that Disney will charge for FP someday in some form or another. Just a matter of when. Honestly, I am surprised they haven't already. FP+ and the ability to book your times, attractions etc online just makes the possiblity of charging for FP that much easier. A lot would complain for sure, but a lot would also pay a premium to get something like Universal's express pass at WDW.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
"Rumor" or not, it's inevitable that Disney will charge for FP someday in some form or another. Just a matter of when. Honestly, I am surprised they haven't already. FP+ and the ability to book your times, attractions etc online just makes the possiblity of charging for FP that much easier. A lot would complain for sure, but a lot would also pay a premium to get something like Universal's express pass at WDW.
To me this type of rumor is no different than "I heard that the parks may stay open later sometime in the future....maybe."

GrumpyFan

Dear all,

- EnchantedMouse

Of course they want to charge for FP+, I would imagine they want to charge for water and access to restrooms too, but the likelihood of these things ever happening is thankfully (hopefully?) low. As someone else pointed out, companies look at these kind of things all the time, and try to figure out where the line is between "free services" offered as "perks", versus chargeable upgrades that give people something extra, while also earning a profit for them.

I think there exists a very good possibility that they will try charging for extra FP+ and perhaps even remote/advanced access via MM+ for off-site guests, but I highly doubt they will charge for just the basic level of 3 per person, per park/day as it is now. There's potential for them leveraging this as well, in order to hold base ticket prices around $100, but gain extra revenue by offering FP+ and MB upgrades.

Jimmy Thick

Of course they want to charge for FP+, I would imagine they want to charge for water and access to restrooms too, but the likelihood of these things ever happening is thankfully (hopefully?) low. As someone else pointed out, companies look at these kind of things all the time, and try to figure out where the line is between "free services" offered as "perks", versus chargeable upgrades that give people something extra, while also earning a profit for them.

I think there exists a very good possibility that they will try charging for extra FP+ and perhaps even remote/advanced access via MM+ for off-site guests, but I highly doubt they will charge for just the basic level of 3 per person, per park/day as it is now. There's potential for them leveraging this as well, in order to hold base ticket prices around $100, but gain extra revenue by offering FP+ and MB upgrades.

I totally think they would love to charge for Fastpasses. I also believe they will in time only have the parks open for people staying at Disney's hotels on property. Its the same thing they do up here in WI at the waterparks and it works well. Once you see more hotels being built of all shapes and costs, the writing is on the wall.

Jimmy Thick- Honestly, I think it would be a great business move...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom