RUMOR: Disney Buying Hasbro?

Adam5897

Isn't it getting a bit scary that Disney just buys everything lately? Imagine what else they could buy if they stay at this rate...

Krazy Joe

The success of the Marvel films has nothing to do with Disney. Marvel has stood their ground and retained their anonymity. If they succumb to Disney's pressure we will likely see the same sort of disarray that we see with DC.
That's why Disney is so awesome...they allow Marvel to do their thing. It's why I have so much faith in the Disney/Star Wars deal.

Krazy Joe

I don't like it. Between this and Disney Springs, Disney is becoming more retail and less mouse.

Nothing wrong with that. Mickey has always been kind of lame. I've always been a firm believer that Donald should be the flagship Disney character, not Mickey. Mickey's never been very funny.

Spider-Man, Thor, Kermit the Frog, and Darth Vader add a spark to Disney. These acquisitions are a great thing. Add Batman, Superman, and Green Lantern to that lineup, you've got gold!

erasure fan1

No. Why is that scary? If anything, bringing more into the Disney family means more entertainment options on property.
While I do agree with you, the one issue I do see is this. Disney seems to have lost focus on coming up with their own IPs. They have settled on it just being easier and cheaper to just buy an established IP rather than putting the resources into their own business. A company with the creative history of Disney should not have this much trouble coming up with awesome new things.

lazyboy97o

That's why Disney is so awesome...they allow Marvel to do their thing. It's why I have so much faith in the Disney/Star Wars deal.
Disney is not allowing. There is a reason Pixar suddenly decided to do a bunch of sequels. Marvel has pushed back and is not allowing Disney to push them around.

Occasional Guest

A couple years ago on a Disney cruise, the weather was kinda of bad and the cruise director joked "Sorry, Disney can't control the weather....yet." I always think about that joke when I here rumors of these major acquisitions.

imagineer boy

I hope this isn't true, because it is honestly getting really rediculous. Plus people would make out Disney to be an evil empire that buys everything. I didn't care for the Marvel purchase, but I thought the Lucasfilm purchase was definately a good decision. Buying Pixar was a no-brainer.

juniorthomas

While I do agree with you, the one issue I do see is this. Disney seems to have lost focus on coming up with their own IPs. They have settled on it just being easier and cheaper to just buy an established IP rather than putting the resources into their own business. A company with the creative history of Disney should not have this much trouble coming up with awesome new things.

That makes a lot of sense. A harsh indictment of Hollywood and their fascination with rebooting series' instead of making new ones. While I don't mind the frequent acquisitions, I would absolutely love to see Disney come up with more original characters and entities.

GLaDOS

so universal builds harry potter world disney builds new fantasyland universal refurbs spiderman disney buys marvel universal build transformers disney buy hasbro universal cant catch a break

Disney bought Marvel 2 years before Universal refurbed Spider-man, and if you think Disney won out on the New Fantasyland/Harry Potter front, I think you need to reexamine your world view.

RSoxNo1

Yeah well Disney > Comcast so Disney will get their money from themselves and buy both Comcast AND Hasbro.
Comcast owned networks:
  • NBC
  • Comcast SportsNet
  • MLB Network
  • E!
  • Style Network
  • G4
  • NBC Sports
  • The Golf Channel
  • FEARnet
  • NHL Network
Comcast was also value at 100 billion in December. I don't know for certain, but I believe Disney is around half that.

Genie of the Lamp

Comcast owned networks:
  • NBC
  • Comcast SportsNet
  • MLB Network
  • E!
  • Style Network
  • G4
  • NBC Sports
  • The Golf Channel
  • FEARnet
  • NHL Network
Comcast was also value at 100 billion in December. I don't know for certain, but I believe Disney is around half that.

Disney as a whole is worth $84 billion and climbing. Helps that ESPN is worth $40 bil. Found it in this article written last year on Forbes:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbad...valuable-media-property-and-worth-40-billion/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom