Rumor Brazil is the frontrunner for a new World Showcase Pavilion

Status
Not open for further replies.

bclane

UK though, has a central government. "Africa" does not. From what I read somewhere, they did have a corporation lined up to deal with Africa, and then a lot of Africa starting arguing with itself, and instability in the region(s) made it a wise move to pull back. China manages to keep a pretty good public face on it's internal issues, but Disney might not want to have part of a pavilion sponsored or tied to say, Zimbabwe, where at any moment, bad things can happen to people, loudly.

I wasn't saying each one had to be simply one country, more that the concept of a continent doesn't quite fit in like the others do. In the end, I suspect it has more to do with what corporations they can get to sponsor, and how long a commitment (and realistically, how long that commitment would be able to be held against internal/external strife), than anything else.
Makes sense...

seabreezept813

A new country pavilion without an attraction is almost criminal... Bad move... World Showcase needs more attractions...It always has... they really need to concentrate on adding attractions to those pavilions that were supposed to have them before adding yet another country pavilion without an attraction...

It's also criminal given what they have to work with.. Brazil's geography is stunning and could make for a gorgeous attraction

EPCOTCenterLover

I fully expect one day someone in the Ivory Towers will say "Hmm- what animation concept can we create so that we can later add an attraction to a country in World Showcase? Which one has no IP based ride in it?"

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I have never understood the idea that only individual countries should go into Epcot vs regions and I've often wondered where the single country idea came from.

At one time there was a plan for 'Scandinavia,' but since only the Norway government and interests got involved, it wound up being just Norway. Also, the once planned 'Equatorial Africa' was a pavilion based on region and not national boundaries.

National boundaries are indeed so often very artificial and illogical boundaries that have been set by historical accidents rather than clear definitions of geography or culture. I certainly wouldn't mind regional pavilions.

Kamikaze

I fully expect one day someone in the Ivory Towers will say "Hmm- what animation concept can we create so that we can later add an attraction to a country in World Showcase? Which one has no IP based ride in it?"

Doubtful, because they get too worried about 'what if the movie fails?' to plan that far ahead.

stlphil

It still would have been incredible looking after crossing the bridge from China.
tumblr_mrlbs9zccP1rqqcizo3_1280.jpg~original

Except for the thatching, looks a lot like Star Wars Land.

El_Tomato

@marni1971, I don't know if you can answer this (and totally understand if you can't), but would this proposed attraction for Brazil be somewhat IP-based? Or would it be something more along the lines of EPCOT Center? (I would hope for the latter, but again: what plush toys would that sell, really?)

No Name

Not to be argumentative, this is honestly a legit question... I have never understood the idea that only individual countries should go into Epcot vs regions and I've often wondered where the single country idea came from. Is it just because most pavilions are single countries or is there more to it than that? We do have the U.K. Pavillion which in my understanding is a union of four different countries...so there is precident for more than just a single country. Plus it's World Showcase and not Country Showcase so that seems to allow for a broader interpretation of what can go into a pavilion. Anyway, i'm still hoping for a South Pacific Island nation pavilion with a Moana ride but I won't hold my breath waiting for it.

The park was designed as kind of a permanent world's fair... and at a real world's fair, countries usually have their own pavillions. Plus, they wanted the governments to sponsor their pavillions, which didn't really wind up happening.

I think, now, a region would stick out in an odd way among all countries. The UK has a central government, whereas say equatorial Africa does not.

There's a World's Fair in Kazakhstan this year called Expo 2017. Ironically, the setup is quite resemblant of Epcot. Ironically, the theme of the expo is "Future Energy." This is a rendering, I can't find an actual aerial.

image.jpeg

JSchnitz

The park was designed as kind of a permanent world's fair... and at a real world's fair, countries usually have their own pavillions. Plus, they wanted the governments to sponsor their pavillions, which didn't really wind up happening.

I think, now, a region would stick out in an odd way among all countries. The UK has a central government, whereas say equatorial Africa does not.

There's a World's Fair in Kazakhstan this year called Expo 2017. Ironically, the setup is quite resemblant of Epcot. Ironically, the theme of the expo is "Future Energy." This is a rendering, I can't find an actual aerial.

View attachment 218359
I hear the Borat dark ride is "very nice"!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom