Roughly, how much revenue does Disney collect per day?

WDWGuide

Scooter said:
According to Louis A Mongello's Book THE WALT DISNEY WORLD TRIVIA BOOK

And I quote from page 130:

"Disney spends about $35,000 per night for more than 2,800 shells used in the spectacular Illuminations fireworks show in World Showcase."

Just because some dude writes it in a book doesn't automatically make it correct :) Trust me, I found that out the hard way ;)

WDWCP

wannab@dis said:
hmm... I thought ROE had about 1100 shells. Could this be for the original show?

Good point.

The current ROE show is much different from the Illuminations 25 that was going on in the late 90's. I'm sure the shell counts will be quite different. Plus, there are changes to the inferno barge and the TV globe, as well. I'm sure there are significant cost differences between the two shows...

Yoop33

A bag of popcorn costs Disney pennies yet they charge $3-$4. I think those stands sell more then $1000 a day there. That would mean only about 300 people bought popcorn that day.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I think the question needs rephrasing - How much revenue do the parks generate per day? What are their expenses each day?

Honestly, the only good source of information on this subject would be an inside source. Everything else, to me, is conjecture and best-guessing.

Popcorn stands sell more than popcorn, so I could see a popcorn cart grossing much more than $1000 per day. Maybe they net $1000 per day, but even that number seems low, unless it's an average throughout the year across every popcorn cart.

inDisney

Original Poster
bgraham34 said:
I wouls hate to be the accounting firm for Disney.

I would too. I am sure they have multiple accountants working for them, but it must be a pain-in-the-butt to handle so much money and so many accounts.

freediverdude

Also, I'm not sure that Disney would be including Tokyo Disneyland, Tokyo DisneySea, Disneyland Paris, Disney Studios Paris, and Hong Kong Disneyland, in that 9 billion, because I don't think Disney really owns those parks. I think Disney owns a percentage of the Paris operation, but for the others, I think they just share in the profits or are paid fees, from what I've heard. So that 9 billion number may, possibly, be for only the U.S. parks and resorts, which might make more sense. I'd have to look at the statement more closely to see if they mention if any funds are included from international parks and resorts.

kal1484

Yoop33 said:
A bag of popcorn costs Disney pennies yet they charge $3-$4. I think those stands sell more then $1000 a day there. That would mean only about 300 people bought popcorn that day.

Box- 2.75
Bucket 3.75

kal1484

inDisney said:
I would too. I am sure they have multiple accountants working for them, but it must be a pain-in-the-butt to handle so much money and so many accounts.

Pain doesn't even start to scratch the surface. Do you know how many hands that money goes through till it reaches the end.....a lot.

awalkinthepark

Coca Cola is cheap to serve too...even with the cost of straws, cups, ice, etc....my husband used to manage a restaurant and soda(pop) was a huge money maker.

Buried20KLeague

freediverdude said:
Also, I'm not sure that Disney would be including Tokyo Disneyland, Tokyo DisneySea, Disneyland Paris, Disney Studios Paris, and Hong Kong Disneyland, in that 9 billion, because I don't think Disney really owns those parks. I think Disney owns a percentage of the Paris operation, but for the others, I think they just share in the profits or are paid fees, from what I've heard. So that 9 billion number may, possibly, be for only the U.S. parks and resorts, which might make more sense. I'd have to look at the statement more closely to see if they mention if any funds are included from international parks and resorts.

This is possibly a good point. Anyone with the annual report know if this is including ALL parks, or only parks that Disney owns outright? Someone mentioned it was "all 11 Disney parks". Was that written, or was that their own statement?

Ringo8n24

inDisney said:

As an accountant myself, I would LOVE to work in the accounting department at WDW. I am going through a career crisis right now that I have been laid off due to Hurricane Katrina. I am done with accounting, but would KILL to work at Disney's accounting. I could only imagine how the books could be set up.

WDWCP

Buried20KLeague said:
This is possibly a good point. Anyone with the annual report know if this is including ALL parks, or only parks that Disney owns outright? Someone mentioned it was "all 11 Disney parks". Was that written, or was that their own statement?

Disney wouldn't report on any of thier documents what the revenue was for anything they don't own. Thus, revenue reported for all parks would be Disney's share of all revenue.

In simplistic terms, if Disney owned 100% of all parks, then the revenue reported would account for all revenue brought in by all Disney parks. Since we know Disney doesn't own 100% of each of the world wide Disney parks, then that means that all the revenue reported accounts for 100% of Disney's portions of the parks. The actual TOTAL amount of revenue from ALL parks would be higher than what Disney reported. It would be all of Disney's portions, + the revenue that the other owners account for in their own financial accounting.

Am I making sense?

Ralphlaw

One man's pain in the Butt is another man's . . .

inDisney said:

You can get rich doing skilled work that is a pain in the Butt. Generally, doing a job that is fun pays less; doing jobs that are miserable and skilled pays more. Enduring the inherent headaches of Disney's money tracking is probably a stressful job fraught with out daily hiccups, but ultimately rewarding to those individuals who are trained in this area. I assume Disney has on-site money counting machines, similar to those in large banks. Certainly there is also a sophisticated computer and tracking system that monitors the source of all revenue, and accounts for profitability and necessary changes accordingly.

$9 billion dollars may not look like much, but written this way: ":$9,000,000,000.00" makes it seem bigger. Or consider it as $1.50 for every person on Earth. Or, if each dollar is laid down end for end, it would circle the Earth about 18 times. Its $1,100 for every person in New York. Or $32 for every person in America. The salary cap of all NFL players and team employees is about a third of this every year. Each of us could live for the rest of our lives without working if we were given $2.5 million today; $9 billion would allow 3,600 people to never work again. That's an entire small town.

It's a huge number, but it's unclear whether this is gross revenue, net earnings, or whatever. $9,000,000,000.00 divided by 365 days is $24.5 million per day, which sounds like gross revenue to me instead of daily profit, which is probably closer to $2 million to $6 million per day of profit, but I could be wrong. I do not know what average attendance at the parks and resorts would be, but it would be interesting to see what the average spending per person per day is.

Interesting stuff, all of this.

peter11435

WDWCP said:
Disney wouldn't report on any of thier documents what the revenue was for anything they don't own. Thus, revenue reported for all parks would be Disney's share of all revenue.

In simplistic terms, if Disney owned 100% of all parks, then the revenue reported would account for all revenue brought in by all Disney parks. Since we know Disney doesn't own 100% of each of the world wide Disney parks, then that means that all the revenue reported accounts for 100% of Disney's portions of the parks. The actual TOTAL amount of revenue from ALL parks would be higher than what Disney reported. It would be all of Disney's portions, + the revenue that the other owners account for in their own financial accounting.

Am I making sense?
Exactly. When Disney states there total revenue for Walt Disney Parks and resorts that means the total revenue that WDPR received. It includes the total revenue for DL and WDW, as well as Disney's share of the DLP and HKDL revenue, and Disney's royalties from Tokyo Disneyland.

Also included in Parks and Resorts is the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Cruise Line, ESPN Zone, Disney Quest, and the companies sports teams (although those are no longer an issue).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom