Room security and hackers

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Original Poster
IRL, I'm an IT guy. I don't deal with this type of stuff on a daily basis, but "cyber security" has crept into most IT jobs on a daily basis these days, so reading up about hacks, vulnerabilities, etc., is just part of my regular routine these days. I know many do not worry about physical security at WDW resort rooms, and I'm one of them. We will leave various "items of value" laying around in our room that should likely be locked up (any cash/gift cards/etc., do typically get locked up in the in-room safe). From now on, I may insist that those things get locked up. I ran across this article recently:

https://thehackernews.com/2018/04/hacking-hotel-master-key.html

This can be done with magstripe keys and with RFID keys. EDIT: This also presumes Disney uses the key system mentioned in the article. If not, then simply skip to the 'Bottom line', and have a nice day. ;)

I know many will dismiss this as "It'll never happen at WDW", but read it and think about the potential. Is Security regularly walking around the resort buildings? If they aren't, it wouldn't take a ton of time for someone to figure out when and what rooms they could get into if they were able to. Based on what the researchers did to generate this "master key", paying for one night in a WDW room, plus an unpatched room key system, could yield a "motivated individual" a fortune in stolen goods, money, etc. If researchers were able to do it, you know more than one enterprising black-hat is or has done the same thing by now. Hopefully the system has been patched, but based on Disney IT's history, I'm not one to think that they've already implemented the software patch to fix this. I'd love to be proven wrong on this, however, but I like to use to the 'Trust, but verify' approach, it's served me well in the past 8 years.

Bottom line - Lock up your valuables, even in your room at WDW.

I'd love to hear thoughts on this, and read more if anyone has any additional information.

Last edited:

Rumrunner

IRL, I'm an IT guy. I don't deal with this type of stuff on a daily basis, but "cyber security" has crept into most IT jobs on a daily basis these days, so reading up about hacks, vulnerabilities, etc., is just part of my regular routine these days. I know many do not worry about physical security at WDW resort rooms, and I'm one of them. We will leave various "items of value" laying around in our room that should likely be locked up (any cash/gift cards/etc., do typically get locked up in the in-room safe). From now on, I may insist that those things get locked up. I ran across this article recently:

This can be done with magstripe keys and with RFID keys. EDIT: This also presumes Disney uses the key system mentioned in the article. If not, then simply skip to the 'Bottom line', and have a nice day. ;)

I know many will dismiss this as "It'll never happen at WDW", but read it and think about the potential. Is Security regularly walking around the resort buildings? If they aren't, it wouldn't take a ton of time for someone to figure out when and what rooms they could get into if they were able to. Based on what the researchers did to generate this "master key", paying for one night in a WDW room, plus an unpatched room key system, could yield a "motivated individual" a fortune in stolen goods, money, etc. If researchers were able to do it, you know more than one enterprising black-hat is or has done the same thing by now. Hopefully the system has been patched, but based on Disney IT's history, I'm not one to think that they've already implemented the software patch to fix this. I'd love to be proven wrong on this, however, but I like to use to the 'Trust, but verify' approach, it's served me well in the past 8 years.

I'd love to hear thoughts on this, and read more if anyone has any additional information.
It is just one of the reasons I am not that pleased with the fact that Uber drivers may be all over the resorts now and in the future. Count me as skeptical. By the way thanks for the excellent info.

Smiley/OCD

Maybe because we life in NJ and we're born jaded...LOL...but why would you EVER leave $$$ or valuables in your room??? We here in the garden state lock our car doors, deadbolt our home doors ALWAYS...it just makes sense and is a no brainer to take your $$$ with you. Souvenirs I understand...they can easily be replaced, but $$$ and gift cards, take 'em with you and leave the Rolex watch at home...lol

mousehockey37

Maybe because we life in NJ and we're born jaded...LOL...but why would you EVER leave $$$ or valuables in your room??? We here in the garden state lock our car doors, deadbolt our home doors ALWAYS...it just makes sense and is a no brainer to take your $$$ with you. Souvenirs I understand...they can easily be replaced, but $$$ and gift cards, take 'em with you and leave the Rolex watch at home...lol

Don't trust the Disney bubble. I mean, c'mon, we all work in places where peoples lunch boxes/lunches get stolen and these are supposed to be teammates/co-workers that we (hopefully) can trust. We all work where theft is present. Disney is no different. Yes, we all go to get away and escape reality, but that doesn't mean the real world isn't there.

MrConbon

It is just one of the reasons I am not that pleased with the fact that Uber drivers may be all over the resorts now and in the future. Count me as skeptical. By the way thanks for the excellent info.

What does Uber have to do with being on Disney property? I use it all the time to get to the resort from my campus.

muddyrivers

Fellow NJ resident here, and I completely agree! I cannot fathom the idea of people leaving their car doors or worse yet, houses unlocked! Simple measures that take a couple seconds can prevent a theft and keep you and your family safe

DarthVader

Sith Lord
I'm not getting the connection with regard to Uber and hackers?

eliza61nyc

So I'm a native New Yorker, which pretty much means I have an extra chromosome labeled "cynical". lol throw in the fact that my dad was a NYC cop who lived by the mantra, "as soon as some one comes up with a security device, there is a crook coming up with a way to get pass it".
As long as there are humans working the area one needs to be cautious. no matter if you are in Disneyworld, Dubai or Denmark.

EmmaPan

sorry, i may have hacked your room :1
may i suggest using the private browser on your phone?

EmmaPan

So I'm a native New Yorker, which pretty much means I have an extra chromosome labeled "cynical". lol throw in the fact that my dad was a NYC cop who lived by the mantra, "as soon as some one comes up with a security device, there is a crook coming up with a way to get pass it".
As long as there are humans working the area one needs to be cautious. no matter if you are in Disneyworld, Dubai or Denmark.

i just have an extra chromosome

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom