Room Rates at USO hotels and a Q about EP?

packfan79

Original Poster
We are planning to spend part of our April vacation at Disney and part at Universal. We plan to stay onsite at both locations. I have reserved our Disney accommodations and have been researching the Universal resorts. We will be spending 3 nights there during the first week of April 2017 and go to the parks 2 days, maybe 2 1/2. Our party includes 2 adults, 2 young adults (early 20s) and 2 teenagers. My daughter is a Potterhead and definitely plans to spend some time there. I see that some of the hotels include Express Pass and some don't. Will we need it at this time period if we plan to spend 2 - 2 1/2 days there? I have narrowed it down to either Royal Pacific (EP) or Sapphire Falls (no EP). Also, will the rates that I see for my time period now be discounted later, or is the current price as good as it gets? They currently show as seasonal rates. Thanks!

JoeCamel

We are planning to spend part of our April vacation at Disney and part at Universal. We plan to stay onsite at both locations. I have reserved our Disney accommodations and have been researching the Universal resorts. We will be spending 3 nights there during the first week of April 2017 and go to the parks 2 days, maybe 2 1/2. Our party includes 2 adults, 2 young adults (early 20s) and 2 teenagers. My daughter is a Potterhead and definitely plans to spend some time there. I see that some of the hotels include Express Pass and some don't. Will we need it at this time period if we plan to spend 2 - 2 1/2 days there? I have narrowed it down to either Royal Pacific (EP) or Sapphire Falls (no EP). Also, will the rates that I see for my time period now be discounted later, or is the current price as good as it gets? They currently show as seasonal rates. Thanks!

April is spring break. Stay at the RPR and enjoy the express. You will have a great time. The HP attractions do not honor the EP but it is worth it for the other areas of the parks.

You can book now (they hold one night) and it is fully refundable up to 5 days before checkin. If you find a better rate later on then you can book that with no penalty.

dm11

Btw, even though Potter attractions do not accept EP, you would still benefit from early entrance if you are morning person. The early entrance would apply in either resort. Note on early entrance is that only Potter rides plus one or two other ones are open during that hour.

I would also consider getting Annual Pass. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but you could actually save money with it. The hotel rooms are discounted for AP holders and considering you are staying there 3 nights, it is very possible the saving would be bigger than difference between regular ticket and AP. And only one person in the room needs to have AP.

StingraySam

I agree with the others so far, look into an annual pass even if it just for one of you. There are many discounts that will open up to you.

I have found that the Universal Resorts do not post any discounted rates much further out than 6 months. You can make your reservations now if you would like then as your date gets closer check for discounted rates. If a lower rate becomes available you can easily call and change your reservation within 5 days of your arrival. I have gone so far as to have multiple reservations because I found a lower rate but was unable to call and change the reservation. I did have internet access though, so as to make sure I didn't screw up I would confirm one reservation online before canceling the other online (did this three times over a course of a week). When making your intial reservation you will need to make a deposit of one nights stay so I would not recommend this approach if you are one that worries about deposit charges being removed from your credit card. In my case so it wasn't a big deal to me, used a zero interest card that was dedicated for vacation use and the charges came off within a day or so.

April is the peak of spring break so I would definately invest in an Express Pass. Whether it is as resort hotel guest stay or direct purchase (I've done the math on this many times and hotel guest is more economical almost everytime). We were there the last week in March of this year and the lines were just ridiculus, an Express Pass was definately the way to go.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom