News Ron Jon Surf Shop coming to Disney Springs

flyakite

For Florida, the original is Cocoa Beach. I’m originally from Indialantic. It didn’t start that big. It just kept growing. It’s not MTB (if you want some cute bikinis and unique surf ware, but tiny store), but for Brevard County lots of surf necessities.

SAV

The Ft. Myers store is only about 10 minutes from my sister's house. My daughter made us go. I only saw overpriced stuff...but my daughter bought a bunch of stuff. They give you "free" stickers with a purchase, so that was my Ron Jon swag.

I couldn't wait to go over to Bass Pro Shops!

mm121

Was it ever said where in DS this is being built? Was something removed to make space for it?

Definitely too bad I doubt they'd put a wave simulator in the store like a few big surf shops have. Or could put it outside near the store somewhere depending on where the stores going.

WhatJaneSays

Was it ever said where in DS this is being built? Was something removed to make space for it?

Definitely too bad I doubt they'd put a wave simulator in the store like a few big surf shops have. Or could put it outside near the store somewhere depending on where the stores going.
It will be in the space immediately to the left coming down the stairs/escalator from the Lime garage.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Tuesday, October 15, 2019. While the store is not open yet, the Ron Jon Surf Shop signs have been installed over the new orange awnings.

IMG_2446.JPG

IMG_2447.JPG

halltd

Wow! That signage looks massive and kind of out of place. Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but the rest of the signage at Springs always seemed to be well integrated to me.

techgeek

Wow! That signage looks massive and kind of out of place. Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but the rest of the signage at Springs always seemed to be well integrated to me.

In person, the signage itself isn’t really overbearing. I’m a little surprised they let them go with ‘Ron Jon Orange’ on the awnings though, which makes the entire awning structure associate with the logo and therefore making it feel much bigger.

The orange is definitely not in the surrounding areas color palate and draws the eye immediately.

MrPromey

I don't recall which one I went to... Orlando or Clearwater perhaps? Like I said... Not that impressed.

The one in Clearwater is not at all impressive. The one in Cocoa Beach used to be a lot more interesting with what they stock but is still way, way better than Clearwater.

Lilofan

The one in Clearwater is not at all impressive. The one in Cocoa Beach used to be a lot more interesting with what they stock but is still way, way better than Clearwater.
Now they have (2) stores in Orlando. DS and FL mall if that location is still there.

ppete1975

This is what I don't understand about Disney springs. You would think part of your contract would include the right to make Disney merch. The soap place has mickey soaps and stuff that you can only get there. If I had a shop there I would want to have a mickey or Disney on my shirt or whatever I sell. Make it where you have to go to Disney springs to get it and cant get at the other locations or online. That's a win for the store and Disney springs.

MrPromey

This is what I don't understand about Disney springs. You would think part of your contract would include the right to make Disney merch. The soap place has mickey soaps and stuff that you can only get there. If I had a shop there I would want to have a mickey or Disney on my shirt or whatever I sell. Make it where you have to go to Disney springs to get it and cant get at the other locations or online. That's a win for the store and Disney springs.

It's a partial win for Disney but depending on the size of the business, might not be such a win for them. A major company may not see it as being worth their while to create, manufacture and then handle the logistics to package, warehouse and ship a line that is unique to a single location.

In the case of a place like Ron Jon, they'd probably see it as a dilution of their own brand, especially since they already have their own mascot and would likely rather appear as though they're bringing something special to Springs rather than trying to leach off of Disney (even though that's exactly what they are paying Disney for that prime real estate to do.)

Plus, as much as a boon as this might appear to be for Disney, you can bet that any such agreement would come with additional royalty costs to the other business and may interfere with other contracts Disney already has in place with competitors, etc.

I think this is one of those ideas that sounds cool to us as consumers but probably isn't worth the hassle for most on the other side.

A special made on-site desert or a unique soap from a boutique business* is one thing but even the Disney/Pixar/Marvel shirts and stuff Uniqlo sells at Springs (which are cheap and great IMO) are not unique to WDW. In fact, they actually sell a greater variety of it online than they carry in that location.

🤷‍♂️

*From their website, the two locations at WDW appear to be Basin's only direct retail outlets.

Last edited:

ppete1975

It's a partial win for Disney but depending on the size of the business, might not be such a win for them. A major company may not see it as being worth their while to create, manufacture and then handle the logistics to package, warehouse and ship a line that is unique to a single location.

In the case of a place like Ron Jon, they'd probably see it as a dilution of their own brand, especially since they already have their own mascot and would likely rather appear as though they're bringing something special to Springs rather than trying to leach off of Disney (even though that's exactly what they are paying Disney for that prime real estate to do.)

Plus, as much as a boon as this might appear to be for Disney, you can bet that any such agreement would come with additional royalty costs to the other business and may interfere with other contracts Disney already has in place with competitors, etc.

I think this is one of those ideas that sounds cool to us as consumers but probably isn't worth the hassle for most on the other side.

A special made on-site desert or a unique soap from a boutique business* is one thing but even the Disney/Pixar/Marvel shirts and stuff Uniqlo sells at Springs (which are cheap and great IMO) are not unique to WDW. In fact, they actually sell more of it online than they carry in that location.

🤷‍♂️

*From their website, the two locations at WDW appear to be Basin's only direct retail outlets.
totally agree with you, the reason I say that was for example the running store.. if they could have done more with run Disney or had some kind of special running stuff with Disney on it, it might still be in business. I went there during a wine and dine ready to spend for anything running and disney and was very underwhelmed with that store, surprised it lasted as long as it did.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom