Rolly Crump on the State of Disneyland

Dr.Cheeto

Thanks for sharing this great article. A Disney Legend told me they once saw a sad looking Marc Davis sitting alone on a park bench in Adventureland in the 80's. After asking how he was doing, Marc told them, "Weelll... we just wouldn't have done it this way." (In reference to the way the parks were being run).
Does anyone else have any stories or articles where the original Disneyland artists comment on the current state of the parks?

TROR

Thanks for sharing this great article. A Disney Legend told me they once saw a sad looking Marc Davis sitting alone on a park bench in Adventureland in the 80's. After asking how he was doing, Marc told them, "Weelll... we just wouldn't have done it this way." (In reference to the way the parks were being run).
Does anyone else have any stories or articles where the original Disneyland artists comment on the current state of the parks?
I know Marc Davis hated Country Bear Vacation Hoedown

Sharon&Susan

There was Marty Sklar who seemed to like everything that was ever at a Disney park, but Meet the World.

VJ

Original Poster
There was Marty Sklar who seemed to like everything that was ever at a Disney park, but Meet the World.
I'm pretty sure that's why he was officially recognized by the Disney company up until his death, and the fact that Tony Baxter didn't agree with the company's direction was why Tony was pushed into an "advisor" role, away from actually having any influence over the parks, but still being available for when a heartstring-tugging D23 video needs to be shot.

brb1006

I wonder which Disney Legend told that story?

SuddenStorm

I'm pretty sure that's why he was officially recognized by the Disney company up until his death, and the fact that Tony Baxter didn't agree with the company's direction was why Tony was pushed into an "advisor" role, away from actually having any influence over the parks, but still being available for when a heartstring-tugging D23 video needs to be shot.

Forcing out Baxter is probably one of the dumbest things Disney has ever done. Creatively, the man isn't perfect- and he's had his share of misses, but few people seem to get Disneyland and what it represents like he does.

I can only imagine how different Galaxy's Edge, DCA, and Disneyland as a whole would look if Tony was allowed to be involved in a meaningful way.

Curious Constance

@mickEblu did you talk to Rolly at all at the auction?

How sad that he let his stuff go because it was painful for him to look at since he knows what’s happening to the parks.

That was a good article.

He really understands everything I feel about the path the parks are on. He remembers when it was about the art and about being something special, and not only that but because those producing the end product really cared about what they were making. It wasn’t about squeezing every $ out of humans and IPs as possible like it is today. Sure money was always a factor, just not the only factor that mattered. That’s what it feels like today.

How odd that Rolly’s son came out of retirement to work on Pixar Pier!

Curious Constance

So Rolly designed the facade to Small World, the Tiki gods, and worked on Haunted Mansion? ❤️ 💜 💜

Has he ever written any books, or had any written about him? I need to learn more about him.

Sharon&Susan

Forcing out Baxter is probably one of the dumbest things Disney has ever done. Creatively, the man isn't perfect- and he's had his share of misses, but few people seem to get Disneyland and what it represents like he does.

I can only imagine how different Galaxy's Edge, DCA, and Disneyland as a whole would look if Tony was allowed to be involved in a meaningful way.
Tony should’ve been on the team for The Little Mermaid Dark Ride.

SuddenStorm

Tony should’ve been on the team for The Little Mermaid Dark Ride.

I completely agree.

Tony has bashed the current DCA version multiple times, deriding it as a book report attraction that offers nothing more then the film.

He certainly understands the concept of immersing you in the settings, the world- as opposed to relying on characters to tell the story (as seen in Indiana Jones Adventure).

mickEblu

@mickEblu did you talk to Rolly at all at the auction?

How sad that he let his stuff go because it was painful for him to look at since he knows what’s happening to the parks.

That was a good article.

He really understands everything I feel about the path the parks are on. He remembers when it was about the art and about being something special, and not only that but because those producing the end product really cared about what they were making. It wasn’t about squeezing every $ out of humans and IPs as possible like it is today. Sure money was always a factor, just not the only factor that mattered. That’s what it feels like today.

How odd that Rolly’s son came out of retirement to work on Pixar Pier!

I did talk to him briefly as he signed my book. For 88 he looks great! To be honest his reaction time to whatever I said was really slow and he seemed kind of spaced out. At first I thought it was his age but after reading this article it all makes sense.

Also how great is it to know that somewhere in this world there is a man named Christopher Crump?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom