• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Rode on the SkyBox of death.

Corey P

Original Poster
Stayed at the Caribbean just to try the transportation out.

The gondolas work. Not exactly cutting edge tech. I've never been in a gondola with so much of a view. If you are afraid of heights they may not be the ride for you, except for the floor you can see out in any direction pretty well. Surprisingly at night you don't get a good view, something about the gondola warp makes it hard to see out at night.

The vents work well, I see no problem with heat as long as the gondola keeps moving. One night I shut the vents because they were blowing too much air, the air also comes up from under the seats so if it's a little chilly you need to close the vents.

The stations are big and the lines move along at a fast pace. My only problem is it isn't very clear which line is which at the Caribbean station. Disney could have marked it better. Saw the line stop a couple of times which was caused by people getting strollers out of gondola, no big deal maybe 30 seconds for a restart. Happened while I was riding in the gondolas as well. Same a ski resort.

The only problem I had was, we were at DHS till close and the gondola stopped running at 10:30. I was on the ToT at 9:58 so I didn't make it to the gondola till 10:35 and it was still running but two real looking security guards were not letting people on. I say that because I think Disney may be having a problem with angry people not be able to get on the Skyliner after park close. It was two younger decent sized security guards as opposed to an old man with a flashlight. For that matter I saw many more real looking security guards at the parks then I have ever seen. Saw some dogs as well. Disney seems to have stepped up it security since I was there last.

BTW the Tower was a blast, there was a bunch of cheerleaders and girl soccer players running around last weekend. ToT is always more fun with some screamers. LOL. Rode that a few times.

Queen of the WDW Screne

If you don't like it then you can leave
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Advertisement
Glad to hear about your good experience.
I'm probably staying at POP in August and my only issue is that it looks like the POP line doesn't open any earlier or stay open any later than the rest of the lines so how am I supposed to utilize it when I'm a RD to park close type of visitor?
It seems I'll be using the bus too and from HS and EPCOT and only using the Skyliner from HS to EPCOT which kinda defeats the purpose of staying at a Skyliner resort in a way.
Will I ride it from POP to CB for the heck of it on a day I'm not at the parks from dawn til dusk? Sure but again kinda defeats the purpose of efficient transportation if its not running as early and late as I need it.

larryz

Nobody's Stooge!
Premium Member
The only problem I had was, we were at DHS till close and the gondola stopped running at 10:30. I was on the ToT at 9:58 so I didn't make it to the gondola till 10:35 and it was still running but two real looking security guards were not letting people on. I say that because I think Disney may be having a problem with angry people not be able to get on the Skyliner after park close. It was two younger decent sized security guards as opposed to an old man with a flashlight.
I'm assuming park close was 9:00, so I'd say that was on you. Did staff help you get back to your resort?

Queen of the WDW Screne

If you don't like it then you can leave
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I'm assuming park close was 9:00, so I'd say that was on you. Did staff help you get back to your resort?
If OP was going on TOT at 9:58pm then I assume park close was 10pm...
When you are allowed to hop in line rigyht up to closing and then you may have to wait 30 minutes to actually get on the ride the Skyliner closing at 10:30pm doesn't make much sense.
It really should run for at least an hour after park closing.

wendysue

In the Parks
Yes
We have been riding it from POP the last few days. Today we got stuck on it for 20 minutes just outside of EPCOT. They announced on the speaker that it would be a bit due to mechanical issues and that if we had an emergency, to push the call button....I almost pushed it to ask them to bring me a Grand Marnier slush from France...:)

We took one from DHS to POP in December. If we'd known how nice and relaxing it was, we'd have been riding them more. Helluva lot nicer than the chaos of the bus... assuming you don't get stuck that is.

Corey P

Original Poster
Glad to hear about your good experience.
I'm probably staying at POP in August and my only issue is that it looks like the POP line doesn't open any earlier or stay open any later than the rest of the lines so how am I supposed to utilize it when I'm a RD to park close type of visitor?
It seems I'll be using the bus too and from HS and EPCOT and only using the Skyliner from HS to EPCOT which kinda defeats the purpose of staying at a Skyliner resort in a way.
Will I ride it from POP to CB for the heck of it on a day I'm not at the parks from dawn til dusk? Sure but again kinda defeats the purpose of efficient transportation if its not running as early and late as I need it.
My brother and his family headed to DHS to get a boarding pass to Star Wars but they went to early to use the Skyliner. Wasn't worth it to me. If you don't included EMH's and the whole boarding pass thing, the Skyliner should work pretty well for you. It's supposed to be open one hour before normal open and one hour after normal close. I don't agree with that if people are in the park doing extra hours but that's what they are doing.

DHS to Epcot is pretty quick even with a transfer. We did it just to try it out. My daughter took a run to DHS and back while we eat breakfast. She just wanted a muffin so she took the muffin and rode back and forth before we we're done eating. I think it works pretty well time wise.

donaldtoo

My son had that thought. "This would be cool with a glass bottom." LOL. I think it would be terrifying to many people.
Hahaaa, smart kiddo...!!! ;):)
It was my first thought, and sounded like a really cool idea to me...but, then again, I’ve been known to do stuff like this...!!!!!!! :joyfull::hilarious:

61023C35-E513-4AB1-9C40-8475A17111C5.jpeg4022613C-B743-4C7C-A5EC-92223EFD1169.jpeg

Last edited:

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

We have been riding it from POP the last few days. Today we got stuck on it for 20 minutes just outside of EPCOT. They announced on the speaker that it would be a bit due to mechanical issues and that if we had an emergency, to push the call button....I almost pushed it to ask them to bring me a Grand Marnier slush from France...:)
This right here is my fear because I have claustrophobia. If I ride them it will just be to experience them because 99.9% of the time we're at Bay Lake Tower and don't really need them but I'm really curious how it would feel to be on them when they shut down if you have a fear of tight spaces.

Raineman

I took my first couple of rides on the Skyliner in November. I am not a huge fan of heights but I liked it-good views, efficient form of transportation, etc. The only part that freaked me out a bit was the speed at which you approach each station, slowing quickly right before you come in-that distance between your car and the car in front of you seems to close rather quickly. Some of that, for me, might have been related to the first week accident, but all in all, I liked it.

DisneyJoe

I took my first couple of rides on the Skyliner in November. I am not a huge fan of heights but I liked it-good views, efficient form of transportation, etc. The only part that freaked me out a bit was the speed at which you approach each station, slowing quickly right before you come in-that distance between your car and the car in front of you seems to close rather quickly. Some of that, for me, might have been related to the first week accident, but all in all, I liked it.
They've definitely adjusted that stopping distance since then.

Corey P

Original Poster
This right here is my fear because I have claustrophobia. If I ride them it will just be to experience them because 99.9% of the time we're at Bay Lake Tower and don't really need them but I'm really curious how it would feel to be on them when they shut down if you have a fear of tight spaces.
It's not tight in the gondola. They are pretty tall, I'm 6 ft and I had top reach up the close the vents, they were clearly over my head. Pretty wide as well. I didn't really think to get a measurement but with 4 or 6 people in there, it isn't tight at all. I had more room then I usually have on a bus.

Last edited:

larryz

Nobody's Stooge!
Premium Member
Extra hours were till 10:00. Shouldn't matter that park close was 9:00 for non hotel people.
You're right -- they should keep the Skyliner open to get resort guests back after EMH. But there's no ROI in keeping 20 or so CMs working for just a couple hundred guests' benefit.

kbmum

I rode it once during the week of Christmas. Never again! Before going on it, I read everything I could find and looked at videos. I thought I'd be fine. Wrong! The height was kind of terrifying (especially along one section -- might have been before the descent into Caribbean Beach?). We came into the station way too fast (for me, anyway) and I honestly thought we were going to hit the gondola in front of us. My family loved it, but I told them that if they ride on it again, I'll find other transportation.

Living the Life

I absolutely love the Disney's Skyliner system. It was quick and most of the views were awesome. We're staying at the Pop in April and can't wait to ride the skyliner again.

Top Bottom