Rock N Roller Coaster to be rethemed to Iron Man

Stevie Amsterdam

Are they eliminating the over the shoulder restraints? If so, that’s a big improvement!
I always thought that over the shoulder restraints were only for roller coasters that have loops? Restraints that just go over your legs / tummy are for roller coasters that do not go upside down

lazyboy97o

I always thought that over the shoulder restraints were only for roller coasters that have loops? Restraints that just go over your legs / tummy are for roller coasters that do not go upside down
No, there is no requirement for over-the-shoulder restraints when there are inversions. Plenty of coasters with inversions use a lap bar and that is the current trend. In a lot of cases it is an operator preference. Vekoma’s current standard restraint is an over-the-should lap bar regardless if there are inversions. The new trains on Space Mountain use this restraint. The over-the-shoulder vest that touches riders is a completely optional feature chosen by Disney.

Stevie Amsterdam

No, there is no requirement for over-the-shoulder restraints when there are inversions. Plenty of coasters with inversions use a lap bar and that is the current trend. In a lot of cases it is an operator preference. Vekoma’s current standard restraint is an over-the-should lap bar regardless if there are inversions. The new trains on Space Mountain use this restraint. The over-the-shoulder vest that touches riders is a completely optional feature chosen by Disney.
Had no idea, thanks to sharing!

ToTBellHop

fradz

They're moving away from it, and I love that change. Historically, only Schwarzkopf coasters had the lap-bar on looping coasters. Nowadays, all new Intamins and Macks have a large lap-bar, see for example on the Mack website: https://mack-rides.com/products/rollercoaster/launch-coaster/. For the other manufacturers, it depends.
These are much more comfortable. It was already a big discussion point back in 2007 when Maverick at Cedar Point opened, for example. Newer restraints already existed, but they went with the over-the-shoulder, which turned out to be painful in the coaster's fast S-turns.

Stevie Amsterdam

They're moving away from it, and I love that change. Historically, only Schwarzkopf coasters had the lap-bar on looping coasters. Nowadays, all new Intamins and Macks have a large lap-bar, see for example on the Mack website: https://mack-rides.com/products/rollercoaster/launch-coaster/. For the other manufacturers, it depends.
These are much more comfortable. It was already a big discussion point back in 2007 when Maverick at Cedar Point opened, for example. Newer restraints already existed, but they went with the over-the-shoulder, which turned out to be painful in the coaster's fast S-turns.
I'm super happy about this and had no idea. I'm a tall guy and I always feel discomfort with the over the shoulder ones. I just assumed that was the only option so :confused:

I remember how painful my first Space Mountain experience (DLP) was in the 90's. I had abrasions and my shoulder area was blue and purple for weeks

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom