Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Refurb in October?

KingdomofDreams

Original Poster
Was advised today by Disney that RNRC would be down for a "scheduled safety refurb" on October 27th. We booked our Fastpasses for it just a few days ago, yet now they're trying to say it was a "scheduled" refurb. Was very aggravated so I didn't ask more questions at the time. Was this common knowledge and I just missed it?

KingdomofDreams

Original Poster
I've reached the end with this company. They are citing safety, but if it truly is a safety concern, they would not be running it another almost 60 days before closing it for the safety refurb. And if it is a routine safety maintenance, then why do they not have it posted as scheduled long before now. Worst customer service ever.

prfctlyximprct

I've reached the end with this company. They are citing safety, but if it truly is a safety concern, they would not be running it another almost 60 days before closing it for the safety refurb. And if it is a routine safety maintenance, then why do they not have it posted as scheduled long before now. Worst customer service ever.

I feel you. Unfortunately, I am a 20 something year old paying student loan debt and trying to survive in this world, and I've saved portions and portions of my paycheck in order to return to Disney this year. I booked this trip almost a year out, and I knew about the Rivers of Light delay, I knew about Big Thunder being closed, so for that I could not complain. But now, AK night time hours are shortened (Nov currently closes at 6), Disney can't give a straight answer on if the Star Wars fireworks are staying (they still aren't listed in the fall schedule), the MSEP is going to Disneyland, and now another E-ticket is going down for refurbishment, without a 60 day warning. It just really truly breaks my heart.

I get it, safety is safety and I would want to be safe on any given ride. It just doesn't seem like that much of a safety issue if they can schedule it in 2 months and still have it operating all the time....

I don't have the luxury to just shrug it off and say, oh well I'll ride it next time. I don't know when next time will actually be. I consider myself to be one of the most diehard Disney park goers, and even I am heartbroken. This isn't the Disney I knew and loved. I am sorry for venting to you all, but I know you'll understand.

:( :( :(

KingdomofDreams

Original Poster
I feel you. Unfortunately, I am a 20 something year old paying student loan debt and trying to survive in this world, and I've saved portions and portions of my paycheck in order to return to Disney this year. I booked this trip almost a year out, and I knew about the Rivers of Light delay, I knew about Big Thunder being closed, so for that I could not complain. But now, AK night time hours are shortened (Nov currently closes at 6), Disney can't give a straight answer on if the Star Wars fireworks are staying (they still aren't listed in the fall schedule), the MSEP is going to Disneyland, and now another E-ticket is going down for refurbishment, without a 60 day warning. It just really truly breaks my heart.

I get it, safety is safety and I would want to be safe on any given ride. It just doesn't seem like that much of a safety issue if they can schedule it in 2 months and still have it operating all the time....

I don't have the luxury to just shrug it off and say, oh well I'll ride it next time. I don't know when next time will actually be. I consider myself to be one of the most diehard Disney park goers, and even I am heartbroken. This isn't the Disney I knew and loved. I am sorry for venting to you all, but I know you'll understand.

:( :( :(

I totally get it and I agree. It is very disappointing.

DisneyFan 2000

I'd normally argue that any park has to undergo routine maintenance in order to keep up the quality but in the case of DHS.... So many ducks that were lined up poorly and now we're left with a park that every closure could mean a guest skipping out. Even Walt Disney Studios in Paris never got to this level of bad attraction-wise.

Goofyernmost

I've never sent a nasty letter to Disney, I'm not that person, I swear. But, I just had to.. :(
Yup, that will help. The nastier that better. Heck, they might even keep running it until the "stretch limo" goes flying off the tracks providing even more thrills for lucky riders.
How long should they be giving anyone? As far as I can see it's at least two months, if not more. When you personally time your trip cannot be a consideration otherwise nothing would ever be shut down, it would just break down. I see it's only going to be down for about 2 weeks. That is not any major thing, but, it may be something that needs doing sooner rather then later but not an emergency situation. Sad, if you miss it but to "be done with the company" because they occasionally close an attraction, whether one of your favorites or not, is hardly a good reason to "reach the end". Your Diva standards are pretty high.

Last edited:

prfctlyximprct

Yup, that will help. The nastier that better. Heck, they might even keep running it until the "stretch limo" goes flying off the tracks providing even more thrills for lucky riders.

How long should they be giving anyone? As far as I can see it's at least two months, if not more. When you personally time your trip cannot be a consideration otherwise nothing would ever be shut down, it was just break down. I see it's only going to be down for about 2 weeks. That is not any major thing, but, it may be something that needs doing sooner rather then later but not an emergency situation. Sad, if you miss it but to "be done with the company" because they occasionally close an attraction, whether one of your favorites or not, is hardly a good reason to "reach the end". Your Diva standards are pretty high.

Well here's hoping all the riders from here until October 27 don't fly off to the moon if it truly is a "safety issue"

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member

How long should they be giving anyone? As far as I can see it's at least two months, if not more. When you personally time your trip cannot be a consideration otherwise nothing would ever be shut down, it was just break down. I see it's only going to be down for about 2 weeks. That is not any major thing, but, it may be something that needs doing sooner rather then later but not an emergency situation. Sad, if you miss it but to "be done with the company" because they occasionally close an attraction, whether one of your favorites or not, is hardly a good reason to "reach the end". Your Diva standards are pretty high.
+1

I'm always amazed when people complain about two completely contradictory so-called "problems." On one hand, Disney doesn't do enough maintenance and things are in disrepair. At the same time, how dare Disney close a ride for a couple of weeks to do maintenance!? That's called cognitive dissonance.

DrewmanS

I find is hysterical that people complain when WDW doesn't do maintenance and complain again when they do.

Just because is is "routine safety maintenance" does not mean 1) There is any immediate risk and 2) That it can be scheduled well in advance. This could be anything from track weld inspection to restraint replacement. The interval for the maintenance is predetermined (based on time intervals, observed wear, or # of cycles), but the exact dates are fluid. It might depend on delivery date of required (custom) replacement parts or availability of contractors, maintenance staff, or third party inspectors.

I get it that people are disappointed when their favorite rides are not available, especially in a park where so much is under construction. At least you know in advance and can make adjustments to your plans. 20 years ago you would not have known until you showed up to the park and looked at a small sign by the ticket booths or got to the ride.

Vacations never go completely as planned. You can choose to focus on the problems or laugh at them and focus of the positives. I choose the latter, but that's me.

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
I find is hysterical that people complain when WDW doesn't do maintenance and complain again when they do.

Just because is is "routine safety maintenance" does not mean 1) There is any immediate risk and 2) That it can be scheduled well in advance. This could be anything from track weld inspection to restraint replacement. The interval for the maintenance is predetermined (based on time intervals, observed wear, or # of cycles), but the exact dates are fluid. It might depend on delivery date of required (custom) replacement parts or availability of contractors, maintenance staff, or third party inspectors.

I get it that people are disappointed when their favorite rides are not available, especially in a park where so much is under construction. At least you know in advance and can make adjustments to your plans. 20 years ago you would not have known until you showed up to the park and looked at a small sign by the ticket booths or got to the ride.

Vacations never go completely as planned. You can choose to focus on the problems or laugh at them and focus of the positives. I choose the latter, but that's me.
wait a minute, you mean there is a method to their madness? There's logic behind it? And here I thought they were just out to ruin people's vacations when possible ;):banghead:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom