Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster to be Re-Themed?

trainplane3

I know that the average lifespan of a steel coaster varies based on upkeep, design and lots of other factors but part of me wonders if RnRC might have a shorter lifespan due to the way in which it was constructed. I'm sure there is a way to replace worn track but is it worth the trouble? Remember RnRC was built first and then the building was built around it. This is opposite of what Disney is currently doing with GotG at EPCOT. If it is too expensive to reimagine/update I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't just rip it out and start over with something brand new. This is basically what they did with the GMR. And it would give them the option to open up that side of Sunset more and incorporate Sunset Ranch expansion plot in an over-arching redevelopment the way it was originaly intentioned for the Roger Rabbit section.
RnRC is only nearing 20 years old at this point. That's not very old for a coaster at all, indoor or outdoor. If they want to improve the ride experience then they should just get the new Vekoma trains without the headbanging restraints (like DLP SM).
Hyperspace%2Bvehicle1.jpg

I'm still a bit puzzled by why Hulk had it's track replaced only 16 years after it opened.

MickeyMouse10

I know that there are real diehards who want the attraction to remain as is. But that seems to be the case for most attractions in Disney World. I didn't want "World of Motions", "Horizons" and "Maelstrom" to be tossed out with the trash. But they did, que sera, sera whatever will be, will be.

The ride doesn't fit the theme that Hollywood's going in. So get your Steven Tyler fix in while you still can.

Last edited:
I know that the average lifespan of a steel coaster varies based on upkeep, design and lots of other factors but part of me wonders if RnRC might have a shorter lifespan due to the way in which it was constructed. I'm sure there is a way to replace worn track but is it worth the trouble? Remember RnRC was built first and then the building was built around it. This is opposite of what Disney is currently doing with GotG at EPCOT. If it is too expensive to reimagine/update I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't just rip it out and start over with something brand new. This is basically what they did with the GMR. And it would give them the option to open up that side of Sunset more and incorporate Sunset Ranch expansion plot in an over-arching redevelopment the way it was originaly intentioned for the Roger Rabbit section.

The life span of a roller coaster is a lot longer than 20 years! Especially when said roller coaster is in an enclosed building and not exposed to the elements. There are coasters all over the country that are 40/50/60/70/80 years old. Now most of those are wooden not steel because steel coasters have not been around as long, but the lifespan and maintenance of a steel coaster is even longer than a wooden one.

I am all for Disney building more roller coasters, they don't have nearly enough, but why do it at the expense of an existing coaster??

Agreed. It is sad that many people in this thread instead of fighting against the idea of a change are just speculating what it could be. There is no reason the ride should change.

ToT is one of the worst things Disney Anaheim did. It ruined the years they spent fixing the theme of California Adventure and ruined a great ride.

RnR is unique and I love it. Keep in mind I have no nostalgia for it as I only rode it for the first time 6 months ago. It is an awesome ride and Aerosmith is a great choice.

So sad. Lets go picket in the streets to save RnRC! Instead of discussing it on an internet forum! I'm sure Disney will do exactly as we say if we FIGHT!

Heppenheimer

The life span of a roller coaster is a lot longer than 20 years! Especially when said roller coaster is in an enclosed building and not exposed to the elements. There are coasters all over the country that are 40/50/60/70/80 years old. Now most of those are wooden not steel because steel coasters have not been around as long, but the lifespan and maintenance of a steel coaster is even longer than a wooden one.

I am all for Disney building more roller coasters, they don't have nearly enough, but why do it at the expense of an existing coaster??
Considering that the Loch Ness Monster at Busch Gardens is over 40 years old, operates in a very humid part of the country with much greater extremes of weather than Orlando and shows very little signs of age, I think its a safe bet that the infrastructure of Rockn' Rollercoaster is probably in pretty good shape currently.

aliceismad

With Toy Story Land just built and Star Wars opening soon, I would think the powers that be would have their eyes focused on the other parks for the next several years. We had Pandora in AK, now HS gets some new stuff, then Epcot and MK. How likely is it really that they throw more money into major rethemeing of RNRC (or the Indy show, or anything really) for the next decade(s)? Especially when they know they need capacity for the Star Wars crowd. Isn't this a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" situation for now? I dunno.

aliceismad

Seems if they were going to replace worn track or wholesale replace a coaster, they'd start with Space Mountain. If it's not a safety concern, it seems cost prohibitive to demo and built new just for the heck of it.

MickeyMouse10

I got an idea, if Disney wants to make a new land. How about a whole Haunted section with Tower of Terror, a rethemed Hearse coaster with ghosts and a new restaurant?

DeletedAccount55555

I'm still a bit puzzled by why Hulk had it's track replaced only 16 years after it opened.

This is just my guess, but perhaps they felt compelled to be proactive about the track considering how the Marvel licensing agreement hinges on maintenance. Universal has to know Disney is watching Marvel Super Hero Island closely for any flaw that could allow them to nuke that contract.

Since that replacement took most of 2016, perhaps Universal also chose to get it done before closing Dragon Challenge, making sure IoA's remaining coaster was in tip top shape.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I got an idea, if Disney wants to make a new land. How about a whole Haunted section with Tower of Terror, a rethemed Hearse coaster with ghosts and a new restaurant?

Tie it to an IP like //REMOVED// and you'd really have a idea worth pitching to TDO.
*IP removed out of fear the suits would actually consider it.

WDWTank

Change the band to AC/DC, Bon Jovi, KISS, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, etc. Or a mix of bands. That’s all that could be done. Honestly the ride is fine as is. It’s always popular. One thing I will say though, instead of spending money on a licensing agreement with the NBA for a restaurant, Disney should’ve used that money for something already proven like for RNRC.

Rose&Crown

After seeing the new night show it popped in my head they can do a wreck it Ralph theme. Not exactly what I would like to see but just a thought.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
A retheme is one of several possibilities being contemplated at the moment. There’s quite a few different options proposed.

I would hope renewing Aerosmith's contract would be one of them. It would be certainly be cheaper. I would hate for Disney to butcher another of their more popular attractions with a rushed half-assed overlay no one asked for. DHS has many issues with some of them being finally addressed but RNR's theme is not one of them.

aw14

I personally would've to see a Cars coaster, if we go the IP route. Keeping a similar track layout would still maintain the demographic.

Rose&Crown

Like Stitch, the ride requirements would remove a large chunk of the target demographic.
Thought about this as well that the ride isn’t exactly meant for smaller kids. Just not sure how they can retheme the ride and keep the sunset Blvd theme esp knowing how IP based they’re going with things.

Bleed0range

I’ve been scratching my head trying to think of anything they could retheme it to that would work if they can’t use Marvel and nothing sounds any good. Maybe they should just keep it as it is. It seems age inappropriate to theme it to Cars.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom