Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster to be Re-Themed?

Jones14

It would be silly of them not to retheme RnR to something taking that they're doing it to the rest of the park. The way it sits back past a gate and away from the back of Sunset Boulevard would make for an easy construction zone and wouldn't interfere with guest traffic.
Actually, I would argue it’d be silly of them to retheme RnR because there’s still so much else that needs work.

The budget for a RnR retheme could go to an updated Fantasmic!, new shows in the Mermaid/BatB theatres, a Launch Bay replacement, an update for Muppets, and so on.

ObscurityPoint

Actually, I would argue it’d be silly of them to retheme RnR because there’s still so much else that needs work.

The budget for a RnR retheme could go to an updated Fantasmic!, new shows in the Mermaid/BatB theatres, a Launch Bay replacement, an update for Muppets, and so on.
I'm happy you pointed this out because I 100% agree. I've been dying for an upgrade to Fantasmic! for a decade now. It's an epic show and I don't want to see it leave due to it incorporating so many characters and villains, but after seeing Disneyland's version get 2 major upgrades, as well as a Tokyo version that puts ours to shame, I don't know why things haven't been changed sooner. We have the best location for it too with the amphitheater and mountain set, shame to see it go to waste on a production that's starting to show its age. Same goes to Muppets and other shows, I'm praying that they change after Galaxy's Edge comes and the focus goes to updating Epcot.

TrojanUSC

I'm happy you pointed this out because I 100% agree. I've been dying for an upgrade to Fantasmic! for a decade now. It's an epic show and I don't want to see it leave due to it incorporating so many characters and villains, but after seeing Disneyland's version get 2 major upgrades, as well as a Tokyo version that puts ours to shame, I don't know why things haven't been changed sooner. We have the best location for it too with the amphitheater and mountain set, shame to see it go to waste on a production that's starting to show its age. Same goes to Muppets and other shows, I'm praying that they change after Galaxy's Edge comes and the focus goes to updating Epcot.

Still filling up every night, so, in the world of TDO - if it ain't broke...

No Name

Still filling up every night, so, in the world of TDO - if it ain't broke...

... If it ain't broke then make it BREAKOUT!

Changing something popular certainly isn't unprecedented.

MKeeler

Not a rumor or even something I've heard, but a question...

What would be the likelihood of retheming to Cars? If the Lighting McQueen show next door proves to be popular, it would seem you could retheme RNR to Cars (you're already in a stretch Cadillac, its about a fast drive, you could make the music Route 66, etc.) and then put in a flat ride like Luigis or the Cars Racer Rally and have a very quick mini-land themed to a Cars racing academy.

Again, not anything I've heard, just something that struck me with the Lightning McQueen location.

PJBuckeye

In the Parks
Yes
What would be the likelihood of retheming to Cars? If the Lighting McQueen show next door proves to be popular, it would seem you could retheme RNR to Cars (you're already in a stretch Cadillac, its about a fast drive, you could make the music Route 66, etc.) and then put in a flat ride like Luigis or the Cars Racer Rally and have a very quick mini-land themed to a Cars racing academy.

Again, not anything I've heard, just someth

I don't think they would do this, but this is what I would do armchair wise. You could even stick the Cozy Cones food stands and Flo's in.

I would also turn ToT into a Monster's Inc. theme as part of a Monster's U expansion that rips out BatB. Purely pie in the sky.

DisneyDodo

Again, not anything I've heard, just something that struck me with the Lightning McQueen location.
Great minds think alike:
My guess is a Carsland (but not the one from DCA), mainly because they can do it pretty cheaply. They’re already creating the show, they can easily retheme RnRC into something Cars, and then add LRR and a restaurant in the area next to Animation Courtyard (which would still allow for Animation courtyard itself to be rethemed into something else later on). Not that this plan would particularly excite me, but it’s just the type of thing I can very well see them doing.

dennis-in-ct

I totally agree. It would make sense.
The only thing I could think of that would not make this work is that CARS appeals to all but younger smaller kids can’t ride. On the other hand, the big CarsLand in California is a Test Track ride and that also has a height requirement.

Marc Davis Fan

The story works well as a “sequel” to the original.

The show lighting makes it superior IMHO. Especially since they went LED and changed the misting system.

It's amazing how much better the "light show" concept in RnRC Paris works compared to the "neon cartoon flats of LA landmarks" in RnRC Orlando. Not only are the visuals more compelling, but much more importantly (IMHO), it allows for a storyline that doesn't break immersion (you're riding a new type of roller coaster built by the record company for visitors to the recording studio, rather than pretending the roller coaster train is a limo and the neon flats are LA landmarks).

If they were updating RnRC Orlando to feature a popular current band, mightn't they also update the loading area and gravity building to mimic those in RnRC Paris? That would relatively easily turn RnRC into a true immersive attraction.

No Name

Ya know they could build a parking lot attraction and it might be very immersive parking lot but that doesn't mean the setting, storyline, theme, etc. is of any interest. Riding a roller coaster built by a record company for visitors to the recording studio is a wacky, cheap storyline that I don't find very compelling. It's well executed for what it claims to be but it doesn't claim to be anything interesting or plausible. Zooming to Hollywood to get to a concert is much more compelling and actually makes a lick of sense, even if the execution isn't exactly convincing. I'll stick with DHS's version, thank you very much.

Jonas Brothers to replace Aerosmith?? ;)

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Confirmation from Imagineering regarding a retheme down the pipeline!
Way in the back of the room, I noticed some Imagineers working on a model with black roller coaster track. I asked Fisher if it was for the new Guardians of the Galaxy ride at Epcot. To my surprise, he said no. He told me Disney’s contract with Aerosmith is coming up soon at the Rock n’ Roller Coaster at Disney’s Hollywood Studios and they are exploring different options for that coaster’s theme. He didn’t mention it, but I should also note that same coaster is at Walt Disney Studios park in Paris and it’s being rethemed as a Marvel coaster.​
What I Learned:​
The Aerosmith theme and songs may be going away from the Rock n’ Roller Coaster at Disney’s Hollywood Studios soon, and a new theme may be added.​

Spash007

Way in the back of the room, I noticed some Imagineers working on a model with black roller coaster track. I asked Fisher if it was for the new Guardians of the Galaxy ride at Epcot. To my surprise, he said no. He told me Disney’s contract with Aerosmith is coming up soon at the Rock n’ Roller Coaster at Disney’s Hollywood Studios and they are exploring different options for that coaster’s theme. He didn’t mention it, but I should also note that same coaster is at Walt Disney Studios park in Paris and it’s being rethemed as a Marvel coaster.​
What I Learned:​
The Aerosmith theme and songs may be going away from the Rock n’ Roller Coaster at Disney’s Hollywood Studios soon, and a new theme may be added.​

Am I the only one frustrated that he hints that it would be re-themed to Marvel, when we all now that is almost definitely not happening?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Am I the only one frustrated that he hints that it would be re-themed to Marvel, when we all now that is almost definitely not happening?

I took that statement to mean not that DHS's RnRC will become Marvel, but, more of, "Hey, look, Paris's RnRC is definitely being rethemed, so, don't think that WDW is going to hold onto Aerosmith forever."

Surferboy567

I took that statement to mean not that DHS's RnRC will become Marvel, but, more of, "Hey, look, Paris's RnRC is definitely being rethemed, so, don't think that WDW is going to hold onto Aerosmith forever."

If we think about this from a parks POV. Lots of people believe that galaxy's edge isn't enough for HWS (to some extent I agree...key word to some extent). They could easily pass this off as the next phase of expansion and retheme everything into...something. I don't think ToT is long for this world (at least for the theme). It would be easy to retheme the entire street. Since the new TZ is premiering I'm sure the licencing costs shot up.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Since the new TZ is premiering I'm sure the licencing costs shot up.

I would bet money that the licensing contract is auto-renewable indefinitely, meaning that the owners of TZ can't suddenly start playing hardball with Disney.

The writing on the wall is for all the non-IP attractions to eventually get "Disney-related" IPs someday. Some sooner than others.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom