Rob's (possibly) moving back to Orlando - aka buying a new car

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
So, the cat's out of the bag over in the PML. Due to the cluster in PR known as the economic situation, I am likely moving back to Orlando in the summer. I won't be shipping my cars to FL, since cars in Puerto Rico tend to be worth more due to the higher cost of new cars/import duties in PR.

I am considering new, used (only CPO and used with an awesome carmax warranty), since this will be my only car (as opposed to now where I have two cars). This also won't be until late summer - so who knows what I'll want by then.

So the basics:

Here's what I drive:
Car 1: 2013 VW Passat, TDI manual transmission. Daily driver - replaced the 17's with 16's due to effed up roads in Puerto Rico (and not wanting to $35K new in PR - paid $29k, still worth about $19k.

Car 2: 2012 VW Jetta GLI Autobahn Edition. Upgraded the ECU, otherwise stock. This is a weekend car only - too uncomfortable to drive daily. Or I lend it to my brother in law if he's in town. $45K new in PR - paid $23k used, still worth the same $23k.

Those are the cars I drive. And both owe money, so I won't walk out of this with $42k to buy a car.

I'm looking at a CPO'd post-facelife VW CC, to split the difference between the Passat and the GLI. Conversely, I could also go for a 3 series or an A4. If I feel really crazy, well... fun cars that handle well, and could be an only car - since I with paying for the cost of moving, I don't want to get two cars for now.

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
Also, if I were to buy a fun weekend car, I've already decided on a Fiat Abarth, since you can buy them used with that awesome Carmax extended warranty for about $32/month :p

CAPTAIN HOOK

Conversely, I could also go for a 3 series or an A4.
The Beemer is a far better car than the Audi. Take a look at the new 4 series - I drive one and love it
1.2.JPG

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
The Beemer is a far better car than the Audi. Take a look at the new 4 series - I drive one and love it
View attachment 84262

I love the 4 series, but I'm still peeved that BMW replaced the 3 series coupé with it, and then raised the price over $8k

I think that you should go with a Dacia Sandero for a weekend car.

Hah! Maybe I'll buy one of the aussie GTO's. Those should be relatively cheap now. I could enjoy a V8 as a weekend car, as opposed to my 4 cyl turbo.

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
Granted, with how many non-US spec cars are registered in PR (illegally of course), I wouldn't be surprised that I could pull it off

CAPTAIN HOOK

but I'm still peeved that BMW replaced the 3 series coupé with it
The 4 coupe was supposed to be a stand alone model - the old 3 coupe revamped (and as you rightly say, it warranted a price hike). Now the 4 series has a 4 door version as well - I don't see the logic (other than to charge the punter more dosh).. Either way, I love my 4 coupe

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
The 4 coupe was supposed to be a stand alone model - the old 3 coupe revamped (and as you rightly say, it warranted a price hike). Now the 4 series has a 4 door version as well - I don't see the logic (other than to charge the punter more dosh).. Either way, I love my 4 coupe
A BMW sales rep told me... "from this you step up to a six series".

And that's supposed to make it worth $8k more?! Eff off.

I'd also consider an A5, which I think is one of the best looking cars ever made.

Bob

B00b
Premium Member
A BMW sales rep told me... "from this you step up to a six series".

And that's supposed to make it worth $8k more?! Eff off.

I'd also consider an A5, which I think is one of the best looking cars ever made.
RS5! :cool:

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster

Yeah... that one's DEFINITELY out of my budget. But I would love one :D

When I went to Panama for new years, I picked up a rental car from Dollar within Panama City, since the airport location was sold out. The rental car agency was located in a high-end used car dealership who imports most of their inventory from US and European auctions (their cheapest car was a Mini JCW Countryman S), and they had a Euro RS5.

I fell in love with it immediately and they let me test it out (hey, he's a gringo with an Amex plat - he can afford it. they didn't know that it was a copy of dad's amex plat!).

It made it more disappointing to get into my rental Kia Sportage afterward :(

Daniel Johnson

I would drive an Abarth in a heart beat.
I drive a mazda miata with a turbo on weekends and to go out of town, I love it, but the abarth is a different beast. We were at the Hess station across from dtd at Christmas getting gas when a fiat dealer pulled up next to us in a red abarth. He let me check it out while gassing up. Very cool little cars. We then headed on to i-4 and played follow the leader for a good while. While it couldn't out run my car, those things have spunk. And it's cheaper new then what I've spent fixing up my 03 mx5.
Excellent choice I think!

flynnibus

Premium Member
Audi HQ is in my town, so all the managers get RS5s, etc for their company cars.

Love the look of the Audi, just too much $$ for what you really get.

StageFrenzy

I would drive an Abarth in a heart beat.
I drive a mazda miata with a turbo on weekends and to go out of town, I love it, but the abarth is a different beast. We were at the Hess station across from dtd at Christmas getting gas when a fiat dealer pulled up next to us in a red abarth. He let me check it out while gassing up. Very cool little cars. We then headed on to i-4 and played follow the leader for a good while. While it couldn't out run my car, those things have spunk. And it's cheaper new then what I've spent fixing up my 03 mx5.
Excellent choice I think!
What about the new Miata everything that has come out about it looks good.

Daniel Johnson

What about the new Miata everything that has come out about it looks good.
Yes it does look good. And, it's 200 pounds heavier than the original, something that is a big deal these days. the sky active tech that mazda is putting out these days is awesome. I loved my NA(first gen) and the NC(third gen), but I had a NB (second gen, and my current car) back in high school.
Its a fun car around Orlando, there are some roads out in near Zellwood & Tavares that rival the mountain roads up in Tennessee....I can only imagine the new model (ND fourth gen) Will be just as much fun. Throw a turbo on it and you will rival most cars in a straight line and the twisties!

Daniel Johnson

I wonder if they are going to put a turbo in the Toybarus
I've seen some rough drafts for turbo setups, haven't seen one installed yet for aftermarket. I did see road and track were running a JDM frs on a track, I think in California...they were turboed from the factory...they quickly said they were not for the US market.
@mkt what are you looking for specifically in a "fun" car? Your idea about the carmax warranty is on point. I have a friend who bought a land rover and a 911 from there, and saved a fortune because of the warranty! The warranty is very appealing, especially since you can take the car to an actual dealer of said vehicle to be repaired...that's worth shopping at carmax alone...I just wish there was one near me!

Daniel Johnson

Yes..that's one of links my buddy showed me after he bought his 911. I don't know how I missed it...I read jalopnik every night...usually between flipping through post here!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom