Rivers of America concept art revealed

VJ

Original Poster
I don't know if this is news to anyone else, but Disney via the OC Register released the first concept image of the refreshed Rivers of America in the article below.

roWfkKu.jpg

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/disneyland-699384-railroad-rivers.html
Disneyland’s Rivers of America will have a new look when it reopensin more than a year.

Disneyland officials today releasedconcept art for Rivers of America that includes a new waterfront and waterfalls along the north bank of the river and an elevated railroad track route over the water where the Disneyland Railroad will travel.

The unveiling comes a day after Disneyland closed the artificial river and all the attractions on it – “Fantasmic!” light and water fireworks show, Davy Crockett’s Explorer Canoes, the Mark Twain Riverboat, the Sailing Ship Columbia and Pirate’s Lair on Tom Sawyer Island – for more than a year as part of the construction of a 14-acre “Star Wars”-themed land in the northern part of Frontierland.

The construction also will affect the Disneyland Railroad; it will be derailed for more than a year.

Park officials did not say when the attractions would reopen.

Several other attractions – The Big Thunder Ranch Barbecue restaurant, petting farm and Big Thunder Ranch Jamboree – will close permanently.

Walt Disney Imagineering’s concept shows the Disneyland Railroad riding on trestles across the north part of the rivers, passing several waterfalls as it makes its way around that part of the park. The Mark Twain can be seen around the river bend, as well as someone on a raft heading to Pirate’s Lair.

Previously, after visitors boarded the train at New Orleans Square, they saw part of the river before entering a tunnel through Splash Mountain and Critter Country. They then emerged with a view of the Rivers of America and Tom Sawyer Island through heavy foliage.

As part of the construction, the river will be partially drained. The water will be diverted to the Orange County Water District’s Groundwater Replenishment System, where it will be treated, stored and recycled. When the time comes to refill the rivers, Disney will replenish from the same system.

Though several attractions will close temporarily during construction, Disneyland officials said they plan to offer visitors an alternative experience for the railroad, the Mark Twain Riverboat and the Sailing Ship Columbia.

Railroad fans should still be able to experience the Disneyland Railroad, as park officials are developing an alternative way to see it.

“We’re working on a way to put two of the trains on display so our guests can get up close to them,” said John Scott, an operating engineer on the railroad.

One engine would be displayed at Main Street Station and the other at the Frontierland/New Orleans Square Station.

Visitors would have the chance to get close to the engines and touch them or have their photo taken. Steam engineers would explain how the steam-powered locomotives work, Scott said.

The Rivers of America was one of Walt Disney’s original attractions when the park opened in 1955. The rivers represent the Mississippi, the Columbia, the Potomac and the Rio Grande.

habuma

I'm afraid at what we're not seeing at the bottom

It looks wonderful. But yeah, I noticed the odd dimension ration of the pic wondering why it was cropped that way. I expect there's something south of there that they don't want to show us yet.

I may be reading way too much into this, but if you look at the extreme northern portion of the picture, you see shapes that suggest elements of Star Wars Land. Not surprising...we all know that's where Star Wars Land is going. But if the artist put subtle Star Wars references in, then did he do anything similar to that elsewhere in the pic? Well, if you look at the bottom of the pic, the shapes suggest the very edge of Fort Wilderness, giving a rough idea of where the new route cuts across the island.

(Again, just me seeing shapes where there may not be shapes at all...so read into this whatever you want.)

ght

It looks wonderful. But yeah, I noticed the odd dimension ration of the pic wondering why it was cropped that way. I expect there's something south of there that they don't want to show us yet.

I may be reading way too much into this, but if you look at the extreme northern portion of the picture, you see shapes that suggest elements of Star Wars Land. Not surprising...we all know that's where Star Wars Land is going. But if the artist put subtle Star Wars references in, then did he do anything similar to that elsewhere in the pic? Well, if you look at the bottom of the pic, the shapes suggest the very edge of Fort Wilderness, giving a rough idea of where the new route cuts across the island.

(Again, just me seeing shapes where there may not be shapes at all...so read into this whatever you want.)
Could be or it could be that this is just the portion where the river is rerouted and they are just showing us what changed. While it would have been nice for it to have stayed the same, at least it appears that what they are putting in should look good, based on this image.

I am not sure about the shapes and Star Wars land, but based on previous concept art (i.e. New Fantasyland at WDW) stuff that is outside of the actual construction area is subject to a good deal of artistic license.

habuma

Could be or it could be that this is just the portion where the river is rerouted and they are just showing us what changed. While it would have been nice for it to have stayed the same, at least it appears that what they are putting in should look good, based on this image.

Don't misunderstand me...I'm both sad for what is lost and excited for what is to come. And this new concept art looks fantastic. If the reality they build comes even close to what we see in the concept art, then this will be something amazing to see and more picturesque than what has been on the RoA up until now. Color me hopeful. :)

I am not sure about the shapes and Star Wars land, but based on previous concept art (i.e. New Fantasyland at WDW) stuff that is outside of the actual construction area is subject to a good deal of artistic license.

Of course, and I certainly wasn't looking to gain any insight into the Star Wars area itself. I just noticed shapes that hinted that the artist might've been referencing stuff outside of the construction area as a point of reference and possibly providing a hint as to the location of the actual construction area.

D

Deleted member 107043

So hard to tell what's going on in that pic w/ all the distractions of glowing blue water and what appears to be the aurora borealis going on above haha. IMO, the most telling sign in this whole image is that the train seems to be running through what looks like an area of orange rock which would have to be in close proximity to Big Thunder.

The same image was posted on the Disney Park Blog and it says, "When these areas reopen, the north bank of the Rivers of America will have a beautiful new waterfront...".

dweezil78

The same image was posted on the Disney Park Blog and it says, "When these areas reopen, the north bank of the Rivers of America will have a beautiful new waterfront...".

Oh, I know it's the north side... Just trying to figure how much of ROA is getting axed based on what's visible in the art and what angle we're looking at here. I'm sure they've taken some creative liberties with the perspective!

donsullivan

Premium Member
Oh, I know it's the north side... Just trying to figure how much of ROA is getting axed based on what's visible in the art and what angle we're looking at here. I'm sure they've taken some creative liberties with the perspective!

Based on what we know now I think we can reasonably assume the lower left of the render is roughly around the northern edge of Hungry Bear and the upper right is roughly the path around the backside of Big Thunder.

TP2000

This looks great and is an aesthetic improvement over what is there now. Much more intriguing and exciting, instead of just shrubs and a semi-obstructed view of the parking garage.

Star Wars Land would be north of this view, while the existing Tom Sawyer Island is south of it. Right?

TP2000

So hard to tell what's going on in that pic w/ all the distractions of glowing blue water and what appears to be the aurora borealis going on above haha.

Not just the aurora borealis, but majestic eagles soaring through the aurora borealis as it glimmers above Ball Road. And the CM's staffing Tom Sawyer Island forgot to tie off their raft and it floated away, I guess to be closer to the soaring eagles.

This artwork shows quite a stunning day on planet Earth, much less Anaheim. The artwork could be of a 1970's strip mall with a shoplifter getting arrested in the parking lot and it would still look gorgeous.

TP2000

This northern section of the river is what's going away, to be replaced by a tighter S curve with the train trestles and waterfalls before curving towards the new Indian Village. And in my opinion it was the most boring and most pointless portion of the trip.

13138007154_0b738ec783_b.jpg

That Indian Chief is featured on the new WDI artwork, between the trestle and the river on a more prominent rocky ledge.

The trestles look like a grander and more finely designed version of this old Disneyland classic that was along the river from 1960 to 1998; Cascade Peak. Imagineering is MUCH better in the 21st century at doing big rockwork (See: Cars Land, 2012), so the new rocks and waterfalls and trestles won't look as clumsy as this 1960 feature did. This photo is from 1996.
7-1-96-BerthaMaeC.jpg

How many young'uns here even knew Cascade Peak and its famous "Twin Sister Falls" was even a thing that got torn down almost 20 years ago in '98?

Curious Constance

I think it's cool how the train appears to actually cross the river at the point around the waterfall. I know the train follows the river's path currently, but unless I'm mistaken, never actually crosses the river. The new path looks to actually have water underneath the tracks which will be so cool!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom