Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

peter11435

There is plenty of precedent for having only a handful of ADA compliant vehicles. Boat rides like "it's a small world", Pirates of the Caribbean, and Gran Fiesta Tour are not all ADA compliant. Frozen and Na'vi River Journey have zero ADA compliant vehicles.

I'm not questioning that they're changing out all 38 vehicles, I'm questioning why they need to.
Like you said there are many attractions that offer only a single or small handful of accessible vehicles. But due to the unique characteristics of this attraction it is imperative that guests are able to board the first vehicle available.

RSoxNo1

Like you said there are many attractions that offer only a single or small handful of accessible vehicles. But due to the unique characteristics of this attraction it is imperative that guests are able to board the first vehicle available.
That's reasonable, not the best from a design standpoint, but reasonable.

Rteetz

I have to talk about this every time.
Suppose they only modify 4 of the cars (out of 38) What if you are disabled but the 4 ADA cars are out in show space.
Now you and your party have to wait? What if the group behind you is the same? Now you have 2 groups waiting. Where do they wait that is not in the way?
Let me be clear - I AM NOT GUESSING ABOUT THIS - they ARE converting ALL of the cars at both lands.
No thats not my problem. I get they are doing it to all the vehicles. I don't understand why it has to be done at all really. Before it was no different than many other ride vehicles at WDW.

Jones14

No thats not my problem. I get they are doing it to all the vehicles. I don't understand why it has to be done at all really. Before it was no different than many other ride vehicles at WDW.
If I had to guess, it’s probably (at least partially) because of the flack they received from Pandora’s attractions not being very accessible.

I’d assume that an ADA bay was also out of the question because of the previously mentioned show concerns; I’d imagine that it would have necessitated skipping the pre-show(s) for ADA guests, which I’m sure they wanted to avoid.

rle4lunch

If I had to guess, it’s probably (at least partially) because of the flack they received from Pandora’s attractions not being very accessible.

I’d assume that an ADA bay was also out of the question because of the previously mentioned show concerns; I’d imagine that it would have necessitated skipping the pre-show(s) for ADA guests, which I’m sure they wanted to avoid.

you can't please everyone, ever. People need to accept that some things can't be built to be ADA compliant unless we bend the laws of physics. if i were in a wheelchair, i wouldn't expect to go to Six Flags and go on a hanging rollercoaster or some other sort of high dynamic ride. You can't bend to the wills of 1% of the population and expect to still produce a thrilling ride. You can do your damndest to try, but it ain't gonna happen in 100% of the attractions. Sometimes handicapped people can *gasp* be so selfish.

mergatroid

you can't please everyone, ever. People need to accept that some things can't be built to be ADA compliant unless we bend the laws of physics. if i were in a wheelchair, i wouldn't expect to go to Six Flags and go on a hanging rollercoaster or some other sort of high dynamic ride. You can't bend to the wills of 1% of the population and expect to still produce a thrilling ride. You can do your damndest to try, but it ain't gonna happen in 100% of the attractions. Sometimes handicapped people can *gasp* be so selfish.

Not everyone has sense it would seem

Hawg G

The only way they COULD have avoided this would be to have a dedicated ADA load area like TSM. They chose not to for whatever reason. With the existing set-up, I have come to agree that they need to convert all cars, just from an ops perspective.

Why? folks in wheelchairs skip the line. So, if there is a longer line at load for them, they are still getting on MUCH faster than other folks.

There has to be more to this story. To take the HUGE PR hit they've taken to do this work is beyond dumb. I mean, their stock is taking a hit because of this.

peter11435

Why? folks in wheelchairs skip the line. So, if there is a longer line at load for them, they are still getting on MUCH faster than other folks.

There has to be more to this story. To take the HUGE PR hit they've taken to do this work is beyond dumb. I mean, their stock is taking a hit because of this.
People in wheelchairs do not skip lines.

The issue here is not about how long they would have to wait but that the show/experience can not accommodate them having to wait.

This is not the only reason the attraction was delayed.

Jones14

Yeah, but this isn’t a hanging rollercoaster, it’s a family dark ride. Disney prides themselves on being much more accessible than other theme parks, and as someone who has traveled with guests of varying age and physical ability, that’s a standard I hope they continue to hold themselves to.

rle4lunch

Yeah, but this isn’t a hanging rollercoaster, it’s a family dark ride. Disney prides themselves on being much more accessible than other theme parks, and as someone who has traveled with guests of varying age and physical ability, that’s a standard I hope they continue to hold themselves to.

no this ride should be that way, i agree. it's slow moving, POTC type ride (without water, i know), so there's no reason not to.

SWGalaxysEdge

United Airlines has a promotional video out and they have a Star Wars theme to it. One of the scenes shows the ITS shuttle supposedly in a Australian Star Wars Exhibit. Credit: United (youtube)

EDIT - This scene looks like it was shot inside the Star Destroyer area of the ride. Its def. not outside and I doubt they would build a third ship just for a commercial.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom