Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

BoarderPhreak

...And even first-time guests can tell that MGM is SWL, three attractions, a Wii game, and some carnival rides.

And a handful of shows that haven’t been refreshed since before the USSR fell.
I couldn't agree more. I haven't spent much time in DHS since 1996. Since then, it's more or less been relegated to "half day park" status, if that, in my mind. In fact, out of our past bunch of visits we didn't even go, aside from maybe making rezzies at 50's Prime Time Café.

It doesn’t matter what people think of DHS the attractions there get long wait times regardless of their status.
That's the "hit the E-ticket rides and bail" crowd, people that don't know better, those that want to see it "at least once" and park hoppers.

TP2000

But DL has a couple dozen more attractions then MGM. It’s actually a complete park, while MGM isn’t. So that DL ticket looks like the better, if still awful, deal to me.

Good point. But I think the $149 daily price that Disneyland is currently at is still a tad too high. $129 probably should have been the number for this summer after only opening the Millennium Falcon; Target Run.

There are two E Tickets under construction at Disneyland Park; Rise of the Resistance and Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway - if those two had opened this summer then maybe $149 for a Disneyland-only ticket would be warranted.

Disneyland Park including Millennium Falcon on 5/31/19 = 37 Rides, 12 of which are E Tickets. $149 per day for first 90 days.
DHS Park including Millennium Falcon on 8/29/19 = 7 Rides, 4 of which are E Tickets. $117 (average) per day for first 90 days.

It should be interesting to see how audiences react to the DHS lineup and off-peak pricing this fall.

Last edited:

mikejs78

Premium Member
if those two had opened this summer then maybe $149 for a Disneyland ticket would be warranted.
I don't know... I just wonder if there is a psychological factor of the $149 base price ticket where people start to say, "eh, too much for a theme park, I think we will do something else. Regardless of the new rides being added.

To put it in perspective, the difference between the DL price and the DHS median price for a family of four with two teenagers is $128. That's not insignificant.

yensidtlaw1969

Good point. But I think the $149 daily price that Disneyland is currently at is still a tad too high. $129 probably should have been the number for this summer after only opening the Millennium Falcon; Target Run.

There are two E Tickets under construction at Disneyland Park; Rise of the Resistance and Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway - if those two had opened this summer then maybe $149 for a Disneyland-only ticket would be warranted.

Disneyland Park including Millennium Falcon on 5/31/19 = 37 Rides, 12 of which are E Tickets. $149 per day for first 90 days.
DHS Park including Millennium Falcon on 8/29/19 = 7 Rides, 4 of which are E Tickets. $117 (average) per day for first 90 days.

It should be interesting to see how audiences react to the DHS lineup and off-peak pricing this fall.
How long ago was it that DL finally pierced the $100 ticket price? That it's already up by another $50 . . . it's way too fast. Even if there are so many E Tickets under construction. Are they gonna tack on another 15 bucks every time they open a big new ride?

It amazes me that they continue to invest so heavily in Disneyland, given the way the park was basically maxed out (well, prior to this summer at least, and I'm sure it will be again soon enough). Not that I begrudge it, totally, but between Star Wars Land, Runaway Railway, the rumored Beauty and the Beast and/or Frozen E Ticket(s?), and the purported forthcoming Tomorrowland redo with TRON Lightcycles . . . are they not aware that the park has always had a tremendous lead over DCA in terms of offerings?

I just spent 5 days at DLR and truly did not hit DCA even once. 5 days straight at Disneyland Park. And I don't regret it. If I were Disney I'd be killing myself to give people like myself - people really, really invested in the Disney product - some really, really good reasons to pop in to DCA. Cars Land is beautiful, Radiator Springs Racers is great, Buena Vista Street . . . tried . . . and Guardians exists. Personally I preferred Tower. The rest of the park? Not worth my time. And the list above isn't long enough for me to justify adding the expense of the Park Hoppers onto what I already spent getting there from the east coast.

I know DCA is meant to be a different kind of park than DL, but come on. If I'm willing to spend $$$ for 5 days at DL, wouldn't it be worth their while to try to get people like me to really want to see DCA as well? THAT seems to me like the better way to maximize the resort and its profit, instead of cramming more (and some of them great-sounding!) attractions into the sardine can that is Disneyland. I don't want to sound like I'm complaining about DL getting great new toys, it just seems like the imbalance between the parks is continuing to grow rather than shrink. And with Disneyland's multi-decade lead over DCA, you'd think they'd be more eager to "catch up" in the eyes of the guests before further enriching DL. And charging outrageous prices for it.

I don't suppose Galaxy's Edge would have been a good fit for DCA, but that park needed that kind of expansion WAY before DL. Cars Land should have been step one. A Galaxy's Edge-level expansion should have been step two. And then a fantastic Marvel land could have been step 3. Which, at this stage, doesn't even sound like it will BE fantastic.

TiggerDad

Yes, the Disneyland App wait times appear to be merely reflecting whatever the $15 an hour Cal State Fullerton Co-Ed ride operator decides to punch into the wait time machine at the ride's entrance. There's no real science or managed operation behind it, it's just a ride operator eyeballing the queue and changing the wait time. A few minutes later that number downloads onto the App.

That said, the Falcon has hovered around 25 to 45 minutes the last few weeks of peak summer. Right now at 8:30pm, with the first Fantasmic! about to start, an hour until fireworks, and another four hours of operation until Disneyland closes the lines at Midnight, Falcon is posted as a 25 minute wait. That seems accurate considering all of the other E Tickets in the park are in the 5 to 30 minute range right now; Pirates, Small World, Jungle Cruise at 5 minutes, Splash, Submarines, Mansion, Thunder and Indiana Jones at 15 minutes, Star Tours at 20, Hyperspace Mt. at 30. Disneyland is dead tonight, and Falcon has a very short wait.

This wasn't how it was supposed to be. Like so many of us, I can't wait to see how DHS differs once its own Falcon ride opens in two weeks! Will having only six other rides in the park help or hinder? Are East Coast audiences that different from West Coast audiences? I can't wait to see what happens, especially if like Al Lutz says that Mr. Chapek should announce a new slate of Star Wars Land entertainment flooding the lands soon, if Mr. Chapek knows what's good for him and his career.
And right now it’s at 110 minutes. I thought no one was going there?

TP2000

Ha! Despite what all the critics online say, people still go to Disneyland. :D

Falcon does that typical thing where everyone rushes to the new ride the first couple hours of the operating day, especially a Saturday. Tourists can be so gullible.

Now at 3:45pm Falcon is listed as 50 minutes. But Disneyland is busy today. An August Saturday, absolutely gorgeous weather, bright blue skies and 79 degrees this afternoon. All the Disneyland E Tickets are between 15 (Jungle Cruise) and 85 minutes (Spash Mt.). Falcon is midpack at 50.

It really will be fascinating to see how the Falcon develops a line at DHS. Not that first weekend, as it surely will be busy with all the local buzz about it, but a week or two later once it's settled in. And what happens to the wait times at the other half dozen rides in DHS? It should be a really interesting study in contrasts!

Jones14

Ha! Despite what all the critics online say, people still go to Disneyland. :D

Falcon does that typical thing where everyone rushes to the new ride the first couple hours of the operating day, especially a Saturday. Tourists can be so gullible.

Now at 3:45pm Falcon is listed as 50 minutes. But Disneyland is busy today. An August Saturday, absolutely gorgeous weather, bright blue skies and 79 degrees this afternoon. All the Disneyland E Tickets are between 15 (Jungle Cruise) and 85 minutes (Spash Mt.). Falcon is midpack at 50.

It really will be fascinating to see how the Falcon develops a line at DHS. Not that first weekend, as it surely will be busy with all the local buzz about it, but a week or two later once it's settled in. And what happens to the wait times at the other half dozen rides in DHS? It should be a really interesting study in contrasts!
I’m anticipating reasonable (for WDW, at least) wait times, partially because of no fastpass and partially because it seems to be their most reliable ride in years. Sure, it’s the only new ride, but I imagine it will be more Slinky Dog than Flight of Passage.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I’m anticipating reasonable (for WDW, at least) wait times, partially because of no fastpass and partially because it seems to be their most reliable ride in years. Sure, it’s the only new ride, but I imagine it will be more Slinky Dog than Flight of Passage.
Fastpass doesn't make much of a difference in wait times. But they'll be rationing entrance to the land with the virtual queue, so that should keep wait times reasonable.

TrojanUSC

Fastpass doesn't make much of a difference in wait times. But they'll be rationing entrance to the land with the virtual queue, so that should keep wait times reasonable.

Fastpass has everything to do with wait times. If only 20% of the OHRC of the attraction is going toward standby guests, they will be waiting much longer than if there was no Fastpass. The other issue is that the FP+ tier system incentives people to visit attractions they would not normally visit, thus making them busier than they would be otherwise.

Marc Davis Fan

Serious question, as I still can't find a clear determination one way or the other about whether FastPass increases the standby wait times:

(1) If FastPass does not increase standby wait times, why would Disneyland and WDW be opening Smuggler's Run without FastPass? Isn't it to avoid huge wait times, especially at Disneyland?

(2) When the Matterhorn Bobsleds and Disneyland's Haunted Mansion introduced FastPass, didn't the standby wait times increase? @lentesta?

(3) When Disneyland's Space Mountain opens a day early from a scheduled refurbishment and doesn't use FastPass on that day, the standby wait time appears to be much shorter than usual. Isn't that best explained as being a function of FastPass increasing standby wait times?

(4) If you enter the queue for, say, FoP just before closing, so that they're not letting in any more FastPass people, the lines moves a lot faster and the wait is a lot shorter than if you entered the queue just before that time. This is obviously because there are no FastPass people in front of you. So we know that the standby queue moves more slowly when FastPass is operational, since it is stopped every few moments to let FastPass people in front of it, but is that change in speed cancelled out by fewer people getting into the standby line due to the availability of FastPass and deterrence from the posted wait time, thus not causing it to increase the actual wait time? I know this is theoretically possible, but is that what actually happens? (1), (2), and (3) seem to be evidence against this, but I don't know...

mikejs78

Premium Member
Fastpass has everything to do with wait times. If only 20% of the OHRC of the attraction is going toward standby guests, they will be waiting much longer than if there was no Fastpass.

If you have 1000 people in standby, and the ride capacity is 1000 pph, then getting in the end of the line, it will be an hour before you ride.

If you then give FP to 800 of those people, those people are no longer in the standby line. The standby line now contains 200 people, but it still takes an hour. Much shorter line as in number of people, but same wait time.

(1) If FastPass does not increase standby wait times, why would Disneyland and WDW be opening Smuggler's Run without FastPass? Isn't it to avoid huge wait times, especially at Disneyland?

Logistics rather than wait time. There's a lot of complications with the FP system. Also, probably to avoid the situation of the anytime FP if the ride goes down for an extended period during the early days.

(2) When the Matterhorn Bobsleds and Disneyland's Haunted Mansion introduced FastPass, didn't the standby wait times increase? @lentesta?

(3) When Disneyland's Space Mountain opens a day early from a scheduled refurbishment and doesn't use FastPass on that day, the standby wait time appears to be much shorter than usual. Isn't that best explained as being a function of FastPass increasing standby wait times?

I can't speak to DL because I've not seen the data, but the data for WDW that Len's team compiled shows that on aggregate wait times did not increase on aggregate when FP+ was introduced. Some rides got a little longer, many rides (especially E ticket) got shorter especially at the peak of the day. But as a whole lines stayed the same and were more distributed throughout the day.

(4) If you enter the queue for, say, FoP just before closing, so that they're not letting in any more FastPass people, the lines moves a lot faster and the wait is a lot shorter than if you entered the queue just before that time. This is obviously because there are no FastPass people in front of you. So we know that the standby queue moves more slowly when FastPass is operational, since it is stopped every few moments to let FastPass people in front of it, but is that change in speed cancelled out by fewer people getting into the standby line due to the availability of FastPass and deterrence from the posted wait time, thus not causing it to increase the actual wait time? I know this is theoretically possible, but is that what actually happens? (1), (2), and (3) seem to be evidence against this, but I don't know...

See my example above. The standby line does actually move slower because of FP but wait times are about the same because fewer people are in standby. The data at least at WDW bears this out.

But let's not turn this into another FP debate thread. If anyone wants to debate it further feel free to PM me.

Now back on topic: can't wait for RotR!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom