Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

Darth Snips

You’re being disingenuous and you know it. They aren’t countless in number on Pirates and only a handful are particularly impressive (and only due to decades of plussing). In 2019, given their complexity, the number of AAs on RotR is truly remarkable. Not everything needs to be practical to make an impressive attraction. While arguably too short, I find NRJ to be beautiful for its effective integration of projection and practical effects. I have no doubt RotR will similarly integrate projections effectively. You won’t feel like you’re watching a movie like on the trackless ride coming to Epcot next May.
Just out of curiosity, do you feel comfortable sharing an estimate of the total number of AAs? I understand if you can’t say; I’m just curious to know if that old rumor of 100+ is accurate.

Jones14

I’m excited to see how the human animatronics turn out. It’s been a long time since we’ve seen WDI take a swing at one, so I’m wondering just how lifelike they can get them these days.

SWGalaxysEdge

Normal inspection to my knowledge... all regular operator training has been halted until the attraction is signed off. Until then, test and adjust CMs are the only ones allowed to officially operate. Each training set has about 3 new CMs learning and lasts 6 days. Multiple training sets are performed at one time.

..I just heard that earlier from a contact - hoping to get their C.O. after tomorrow

RobWDW1971

You’re being disingenuous and you know it. They aren’t countless in number on Pirates and only a handful are particularly impressive (and only due to decades of plussing). In 2019, given their complexity, the number of AAs on RotR is truly remarkable. Not everything needs to be practical to make an impressive attraction. While arguably too short, I find NRJ to be beautiful for its effective integration of projection and practical effects. I have no doubt RotR will similarly integrate projections effectively. You won’t feel like you’re watching a movie like on the trackless ride coming to Epcot next May.

Your point was that we shouldn’t be expecting a huge amount of AA’s in a major attraction. I noted that similar large attractions over the years have had huge amount of AA’s. Not being disingenuous at all. I’m sorry if your standards are below that of 1967. I’m sure WDI appreciates your grading on a curve and rationalizing the embarrassment that is NRJ.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Your point was that we shouldn’t be expecting a huge amount of AA’s in a major attraction. I noted that similar large attractions over the years have had huge amount of AA’s. Not being disingenuous at all. I’m sorry if your standards are below that of 1967. I’m sure WDI appreciates your grading on a curve and rationalizing the embarrassment that is NRJ.

Right. Because every single one of those figures in Pirates was a high-end animatronic.

How many animatronics are in Haunted Mansion compared to pirates? Is it somehow inferior in that it relies a lot on effects moreso than animatronics?

Of course, as we all know, you're a troll:

Jar Jar > Vi Moradi

swge

Once again...…..
Nothing has been directly experienced/seen by me. This is a collection of everything I've heard by people directly related to the project. I trust everything I heard/am writing is factual and correct, but you don't have to. I am a messenger. Please do not shoot the messenger.

*Below are details on each of the attractions scenes explained to me in person and written off of memory. Everything was explained in bits and pieces by several individuals, not in chronological order. I've pieced them together in what I think the order is... I could be wrong on the proper arrangement of sequences... but I'm almost positive that I'm right*

Everything I know about RotR @ DLR.... part 2
LOAD ROOM
The 3rd pre-show is now over. The solid wall next to you has been cut and destroyed by lasers (what is said to *apparently* be an extremely impressive practical effect) and you now find yourself in the next room with 2 droid powered vehicles, and 2 resistance dispatch cast members. Each detention cell has its own boarding room (4 total) w 2 vehicles.

*NOTE: Story time... each vehicle has an animatronic droid attached to the front. These droids did in fact belong to the first order but were just recently hacked by the resistance within seconds. This is a big problem.. these droids are clueless, don't know where they're going and will find themselves making wrong turns/getting us into sticky situations as they attempt to find escape pods.*

Dispatch System: Since there are 4 different dispatching rooms, there will be a virtual dispatch queue. Once both CMs push their dispatch buttons, the cars will enter a virtual queue and the vehicles will enter the attraction in the order they were dispatched.

Once dispatched, the vehicles will enter what is known as the disco/ballroom. They will be joined by 2 other empty vehicles (that belong to the first order) as our droids try to remain calm and pretend as if they're on the same team. Now what you wont know is that these empty vehicles are actually returning from unload to pick up more guests in their proper boarding rooms.

RIDE DETAILS AND SHOW SCENES
There are apparently many fast moving doors that will slam in your face as you make wrong turns. You will make another wrong turn and end up in the AT-AT room. Finn will be in animatronic form in this room, stormtrooper body, human face. The cars will separate and go their separate ways for a bit. Each of them will back into an elevator lift and will *aggressively* skyrocket upwards while being shot at with laser blasts (think mission breakout style launch). Each vehicle will have its own perspective of the AT-ATs while on the lift. The laser blasts will in fact appear to travel through thin air. The patents look confusing and the explanations on how this works weren't much better.. but from what I gathered, there will be dozens of rapidly moving fans spinning in show scenes that you wont see there. The fans will project laser blasts and when timed correctly in show lighting, will look like laser blasts in mid air. Think of those LED fans that can display holograms/images.

Once on the second floor, you'll accidentally enter on a private conversation between animatronic Hux and Kylo. They know about you breaking out. Kylo is angry and has been on the hunt to find you. Something happens and he notices the vehicle. The animatronic turns at you aggressively and all hell breaks loose.

You zoom out of there into the next room and suddenly Kylo is at the end of the hallway. He starts physically bolting, running towards your vehicle (this will be a very interesting practical/screen hybrid effect... I'll explain later). You are simultaneously moving backwards into an "elevator" and just as he is about to get you, the doors slam in his face at the last second. Your "elevator" simulates movement and you've escaped the confrontation.... so you think. Kylo jumps on top of your elevator and rams his saber through the ceiling just inches away from your face. He starts dragging the blade around the vehicle and creates burned metal gash marks across the ceiling (this will be a practical effect).

Now lets talk about that hybrid screen/practical effect. The running Kylo is actually a flat cutout that has a physical hand and saber attached to it. This cutout is attached to a fast moving sled on a track that will accelerate towards your vehicle. Kylo will actually be projected onto the cutout and will run towards you. With the projection and the physical hand, the line between screen and animatronic will be blurred. It apparently looks crazy with the lights on but will look great proper show conditions.

Next will come the gun room. The guns will jolt forward and blast into screens above you. Both vehicles will travel through the blasting guns like a game of frogger. You will feel the heat. vibrations of the gun blasts.

The finale is next... You are suddenly cornered by the last Kylo animatronic in the finale scene. You're almost at the escape pod when he catches you and you find yourself stuck with no other way to escape. Behind him is a giant window out to space. He uses the force to keep you from moving any further... Suddenly, in the window (screen) behind him, Poe comes flying in with his X wing and starts blasting the entire star destroyer. The room starts crumbling apart and giant (physical) pieces of building/rubble crash down in between you and Kylo. You've escaped his grip and now need to book it to the escape pods before the entire star destroyer falls apart with you in it. The escape pod is actually a simulator platform inside of a drop mechanism, surrounded by screens. Your vehicles quickly enter their own pods and you are suddenly ejected out of the star destroyer. This will be achieved with a drop down to the bottom floor. Not a "controlled" descent. A quick, thrilling, stomach lifting drop.

The video around you shows you crash landing into a giant metal cylinder recycling center on the planet of Batuu (there will be day/night mode). You will pull out of the pod and into the recycling site. This area is semi outdoors and has nice theming. You survived! You will unload and exit into the resistance forest. To give you a point of reference, once the unloaded vehicles are advanced from unload, they will enter the disco/ballroom and face the next set of guests before arriving back at load/detention cell.

Duration is said to be between 3:30-4 minutes

The end.

Aside from this I have some minor information on CMs and how they'll be scheduled to work as its a bit complicated.. but that's what I've heard about the actual attraction experience itself. If I hear more information, I'll be sure to share. I know we are all excited for this project to open. Sorry for the long posts.. I'm just here to feed the children.

Goodnight

matt9112

Once again...…..
Nothing has been directly experienced/seen by me. This is a collection of everything I've heard by people directly related to the project. I trust everything I heard/am writing is factual and correct, but you don't have to. I am a messenger. Please do not shoot the messenger.

*Below are details on each of the attractions scenes explained to me in person and written off of memory. Everything was explained in bits and pieces by several individuals, not in chronological order. I've pieced them together in what I think the order is... I could be wrong on the proper arrangement of sequences... but I'm almost positive that I'm right*

LOAD ROOM
The 3rd pre-show is now over. The solid wall next to you has been cut and destroyed by lasers (what is said to *apparently* be an extremely impressive practical effect) and you now find yourself in the next room with 2 droid powered vehicles, and 2 resistance dispatch cast members. Each detention cell has its own boarding room (4 total) w 2 vehicles.

*NOTE: Story time... each vehicle has an animatronic droid attached to the front. These droids did in fact belong to the first order but were just recently hacked by the resistance within seconds. This is a big problem.. these droids are clueless, don't know where they're going and will find themselves making wrong turns/getting us into sticky situations as they attempt to find escape pods.*

Dispatch System: Since there are 4 different dispatching rooms, there will be a virtual dispatch queue. Once both CMs push their dispatch buttons, the cars will enter a virtual queue and the vehicles will enter the attraction in the order they were dispatched.

Once dispatched, the vehicles will enter what is known as the disco/ballroom. They will be joined by 2 other empty vehicles (that belong to the first order) as our droids try to remain calm and pretend as if they're on the same team. Now what you wont know is that these empty vehicles are actually returning from unload to pick up more guests in their proper boarding rooms.

There are apparently many fast moving doors that will slam in your face as you make wrong turns. You will make another wrong turn and end up in the AT-AT room. Finn will be in animatronic form in this room, stormtrooper body, human face. The cars will separate and go their separate ways for a bit. Each of them will back into an elevator lift and will *aggressively* skyrocket upwards while being shot at with laser blasts (think mission breakout style launch). Each vehicle will have its own perspective of the AT-ATs while on the lift. The laser blasts will in fact appear to travel through thin air. The patents look confusing and the explanations on how this works weren't much better.. but from what I gathered, there will be dozens of rapidly moving fans spinning in show scenes that you wont see there. The fans will project laser blasts and when timed correctly in show lighting, will look like laser blasts in mid air. Think of those LED fans that can display holograms/images.

Once on the second floor, you'll accidentally enter on a private conversation between animatronic Hux and Kylo. They know about you breaking out. Kylo is angry and has been on the hunt to find you. Something happens and he notices the vehicle. The animatronic turns at you aggressively and all hell breaks loose.

You zoom out of there into the next room and suddenly Kylo is at the end of the hallway. He starts physically bolting, running towards your vehicle (this will be a very interesting practical/screen hybrid effect... I'll explain later). You are simultaneously moving backwards into an "elevator" and just as he is about to get you, the doors slam in his face at the last second. Your "elevator" simulates movement and you've escaped the confrontation.... so you think. Kylo jumps on top of your elevator and rams his saber through the ceiling just inches away from your face. He starts dragging the blade around the vehicle and creates burned metal gash marks across the ceiling (this will be a practical effect).

Now lets talk about that hybrid screen/practical effect. The running Kylo is actually a flat cutout that has a physical hand and saber attached to it. This cutout is attached to a fast moving sled on a track that will accelerate towards your vehicle. Kylo will actually be projected onto the cutout and will run towards you. With the projection and the physical hand, the line between screen and animatronic will be blurred. It apparently looks crazy with the lights on but will look great proper show conditions.

Next will come the gun room. The guns will jolt forward and blast into screens above you. Both vehicles will travel through the blasting guns like a game of frogger. You will feel the heat. vibrations of the gun blasts.

The finale is next... You are suddenly cornered by the last Kylo animatronic in the finale scene. You're almost at the escape pod when he catches you and you find yourself stuck with no other way to escape. Behind him is a giant window out to space. He uses the force to keep you from moving any further... Suddenly, in the window (screen) behind him, Poe comes flying in with his X wing and starts blasting the entire star destroyer. The room starts crumbling apart and giant (physical) pieces of building/rubble crash down in between you and Kylo. You've escaped his grip and now need to book it to the escape pods before the entire star destroyer falls apart with you in it. The escape pod is actually a simulator platform inside of a drop mechanism, surrounded by screens. Your vehicles quickly enter their own pods and you are suddenly ejected out of the star destroyer. This will be achieved with a drop down to the bottom floor. Not a "controlled" descent. A quick, thrilling, stomach lifting drop.

The video around you shows you crash landing into a giant metal cylinder recycling center on the planet of Batuu (there will be day/night mode). You will pull out of the pod and into the recycling site. This area is semi outdoors and has nice theming. You survived! You will unload and exit into the resistance forest. To give you a point of reference, once the unloaded vehicles are advanced from unload, they will enter the disco/ballroom and face the next set of guests before arriving back at load/detention cell.

The end.

Aside from this I have some minor information on CMs and how they'll be scheduled to work as its a bit complicated.. but that's what I've heard about the actual attraction experience itself. If I hear more information, I'll be sure to share. I know we are all excited for this project to open. Sorry for the long posts.. I'm just here to feed the children.

Goodnight

Tbh sounds like an ops nightmare.

csm

Your argument instantly lost credibility the moment you praised Navi River Journey. #BlindBrandLoyalist

TP2000

Typically how far out will something like this occur before opening?

In California, where the state government heavily regulates and monitors the operation of theme park rides and things like ski lifts and aerial tramways via Cal-OSHA, it breaks down about like this;

30-45 days for a small ride with a small crew of CM's to operate (and thus to train once the DOSH inspection is passed)
60-90 days for a big ride with a large crew of CM's to operate (and thus to train once the DOSH inspection is passed)

Disneyland's version is supposed to open on January 17th. They seem to be cutting it very, very close there. Maybe too close since a DOSH inspection by Cal-OSHA is known to take about a full week for a big ride.

But in Florida, where there is very little regulation or oversight of the operation of theme park rides or Skyliners (since there are no ski lifts in Florida), who knows? DOSH inspections simply don't exist in Walt Disney World. They are on their own out there, regulating themselves.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Once again...…..

LOAD ROOM

The end.

Goodnight
That’s a very very detailed description :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom