Rise of the Resistance Opening date December 5th. Should Disney have just held off on opening SWGE until then like seemed to be the original plan?

Smiley/OCD

There have been threads on other boards predicting it and I for one was pretty confident in December 5th/6th as that is when the grand opening of NFL was and it just seemed to fit. Most others trying to predict agreed. Many people booked based on these theories and looks like they would have been correct if Disney had just said to themselves ya know what we should not try to open early with one attraction instead lets give the guests the full experience.
Well, I'm glad I don't use those "experts" to PREDICT my powerball numbers...

erasure fan1

Social media, regular media, heck...Disney Forums can spread negativity because its easier than praise. Maybe I'm the odd man out, but I have a December 1-8th trip booked and I was very much looking forward to SWGE with one ride open or two. Actually, I figured lines would be crazy long, so as long as I got to walk through land, I would be fine!

Rides not open do not say failure for me.
There is a big difference between failure and negative perception like I was saying. If Rise is just an average ride, then I would say failure based on expectations. But It's not about the land being a failure, it's about, would it have been better to open all at once. And I believe the answer is yes.

PorterRedkey

Social media, regular media, heck...Disney Forums can spread negativity because its easier than praise. Maybe I'm the odd man out, but I have a December 1-8th trip booked and I was very much looking forward to SWGE with one ride open or two. Actually, I figured lines would be crazy long, so as long as I got to walk through land, I would be fine!

Rides not open do not say failure for me.
That is good for the super fan. Casual Disney guests go to Disney mainly for the ride. Many people I spoke to see this as a Star Wars shopping mall with one ride.

mergatroid

People complain on here all the time about the time it takes Disney to build new attractions. I suppose this is what happens when we see the flip side to this. They open a land earlier than expected as everything bar one attraction (the main one admittedly) is ready and it's viewed negatively. All opinions are valid as it's subjective, though personally I'm delighted the way they've done it as our September trip was booked thinking we'd see none of it.

drizgirl

People complain on here all the time about the time it takes Disney to build new attractions. I suppose this is what happens when we see the flip side to this. They open a land earlier than expected as everything bar one attraction (the main one admittedly) is ready and it's viewed negatively. All opinions are valid as it's subjective, though personally I'm delighted the way they've done it as our September trip was booked thinking we'd see none of it.
I don't think Disney's approach on this was a failure because of what anyone here had to say. It was a failure because of the number of people who went through the gates.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Could you imagine Pandora opening with just the Navi river?
Pandora opened in May 2017. If NRJ opened in February 2017, that would have been a bonus to people who visited WDW in the late winter and early spring.

So NRJ would have had the following impact on guests visiting in each month:

February - Positive
March - Positive
April - Positive
May - Neutral
June - Neutral
July - Neutral

Literally nobody is worse off and some people are better off. How would this have been bad?

To be clear, Disney did not delay Rise of the Resistance. Rise of the Resistance is opening exactly when it was supposed to. The rest of the land is opening early.*

*In Orlando.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Well... this is an example of Disney's fast and loose use of seasonal appelations: "Fall" can be mid-August with the start of the Halloween parties and go all the way to a week before Christmas with the astronomical ending of Fall. They switch back and forth between calendar nomenclature and recreational-biz nomenclature to suit their needs. I'm not saying it's nefarious, but it does give them wiggle room and being "technically correct" if something happens earlier or later than expected.

RotR in DHS will open in "the Fall" of this year as they always have said... from a certain point of view.

NickPytlinski

we randomly planned first week in December (my birthday is 4th) and then found out ROTR opens the 5th

Massive bonus!

not sure if i'll be able to get even close tho lol

maybe i'll spot some of our favourite youtubers tho lol

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Well... this is an example of Disney's fast and loose use of seasonal appelations: "Fall" can be mid-August with the start of the Halloween parties and go all the way to a week before Christmas with the astronomical ending of Fall. They switch back and forth between calendar nomenclature and recreational-biz nomenclature to suit their needs. I'm not saying it's nefarious, but it does give them wiggle room and being "technically correct" if something happens earlier or later than expected.

RotR in DHS will open in "the Fall" of this year as they always have said... from a certain point of view.
They didn't say Fall. They said Late Fall. Splitting the seasons in thirds, Early Fall would be roughly 9/23-10/22, Mid Fall would be 10/22-11/21, and Late Fall would be 11/21-12/21.

December 5 is smack in the middle of Late Fall.

Last edited:

JusticeDisney

They didn't say Fall. They said Late Fall. Splitting the seasons in thirds, Early Fall would be roughly 9/23-10/22, Mid Fall would be 10/22-11/21, and Late Fall would be 11/21-12/21.

December 5 is smack in the middle of Late Fall.
Ummmm, I’m not sure 4 days before Christmas counts as fall on any planet. But I get the point you’re making.

justintheharris

The PR would have been better if they had opened it all at the same time. They’ve created a whole bunch of YT videos and tweets saying the land is a failure in part because it’s incomplete.
Which videos exactly? I haven't seen anyone say the land is a failure due to it not opening at the same time. Are you referring to the fact that Disneyland is empty? That has a lot more to do with prices and blackouts and the demographics of Disneyland visitors rather than the absence of Rise of the Resistance. The entire land is open except one ride. Yes, it's a big ride. But I can't imagine a significantly large amount of people saying "Oh.. only Millennium Falcon and all the restaurants and shops? I'll wait until that one other ride is open." Most of my casual Disneyland fans (not on Disney forums) visited the land and didn't even know Rise of the Resistance was a thing until I told them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom