Rise of the Resistance Opening date December 5th. Should Disney have just held off on opening SWGE until then like seemed to be the original plan?

erasure fan1

I think they were afraid of the amount of people all at once. Doing it this way kind of breaks it all up a bit..
But at the same time it created a negative perception of the land. I had 2 people at work yesterday, who know I love star wars and Disney, and they came up to me and said, "so whats the deal with that star wars land? It's not doing so great is it." Now if people who have no clue about Disney are asking me this, that's a bad thing. It means, right or wrong, there is a negative perception out there. Opening a complete land would have made a huge difference.

Raineman

Disney has single-handedly killed off one of the most successful franchises in movie history.

Way to go, suits.
But if they had originally delayed the opening of GE at WDW because ROTR wasn’t ready, there would be people complaining “I booked my trip for November xx, and now it won’t be open until December!” For some people, it doesn’t matter what decisions Disney makes, they will find fault with it.

drizgirl

But if they had originally delayed the opening of GE at WDW because ROTR wasn’t ready, there would be people complaining “I booked my trip for November xx, and now it won’t be open until December!” For some people, it doesn’t matter what decisions Disney makes, they will find fault with it.
Then maybe they shouldn't have given any date until they were sure they could hit it.

Nottamus

But at the same time it created a negative perception of the land. I had 2 people at work yesterday, who know I love star wars and Disney, and they came up to me and said, "so whats the deal with that star wars land? It's not doing so great is it." Now if people who have no clue about Disney are asking me this, that's a bad thing. It means, right or wrong, there is a negative perception out there. Opening a complete land would have made a huge difference.

Social media, regular media, heck...Disney Forums can spread negativity because its easier than praise. Maybe I'm the odd man out, but I have a December 1-8th trip booked and I was very much looking forward to SWGE with one ride open or two. Actually, I figured lines would be crazy long, so as long as I got to walk through land, I would be fine!

Rides not open do not say failure for me.

Queen of the WDW Scene

Original Poster
In the Parks
No

Unofficially most people knew SWGE was slated to open December 5th/6th and booked accordingly.
Then Disney announced it was opening August 29th and were like btw only one attraction is opening.
Had they just opened it when they originally planned I think it would have gone over much better than it has.

drizgirl

Unofficially most people knew SWGE was slated to open December 5th/6th and booked accordingly.
Then Disney announced it was opening August 29th and were like btw only one attraction is opening.
Had they just opened it when they originally planned I think it would have gone over much better than it has.
I must be living under a rock. I never heard a December 5/6 date.

Queen of the WDW Scene

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I must be living under a rock. I never heard a December 5/6 date.

There have been threads on other boards predicting it and I for one was pretty confident in December 5th/6th as that is when the grand opening of NFL was and it just seemed to fit. Most others trying to predict agreed. Many people booked based on these theories and looks like they would have been correct if Disney had just said to themselves ya know what we should not try to open early with one attraction instead lets give the guests the full experience.

drizgirl

There have been threads on other boards predicting it and I for one was pretty confident in December 5th/6th as that is when the grand opening of NFL was and it just seemed to fit. Most others trying to predict agreed. Many people booked based on these theories and looks like they would have been correct if Disney had just said to themselves ya know what we should not try to open early with one attraction instead lets give the guests the full experience.
OK, so those were guesses. I thought I had missed some leaked inside information.

Disstevefan1

As for the OP question, Should Disney have just held off on opening SWGE until they could also open ROTR?

In my opinion, NO. As many have already said, Disney made truckloads of money by opening GE in Disneyland minus ROTR!

I have another thought about today's announcement. Disney has published launch dates for ROTR for both WDW and DL. So whatever blocker to launch was solved. I think Disney strategically made the opening in WDW first on December 5th which is one of the off peak times at WDW.

Right NOW, the hard core Star Wars Fans are making their reservations for a trip to WDW! There goes the possibility for lower than normal crowds at WDW in the beginning of December...

I also have two fears:

1. I feel there will be a ticket price increase for WDW VERY SOON (except for APs who already got slammed with a 25 percent price jump) .
2. My big fear, BLACKOUT dates ADDED to APs to block them from the opening of ROTR at WDW.

I hope I am wrong.

Last edited:

Queen of the WDW Scene

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
As for the OP question, Should Disney have just held off on opening SWGE until they could also open ROTR?

In my opinion, NO. As many have already said, Disney made truckloads of money by opening GE in Disneyland minus ROTR!

I have another thought about today's announcement. Disney has published launch dates for ROTR for both WDW and DL. So whatever blocker to launch was solved. I think Disney strategically made the opening in WDW first on December 5th which is one of the off peak times at WDW.

Right NOW, the hard core Star Wars Fans are making their reservations for a trip to WDW! There goes the possibility for lower than normal crowds at WDW in the beginning of December...

I also have two fears:

1. I feel there will be a ticket price increase for WDW VERY SOON (except for APs who already got slammed with a 25 percent price jump) .
2. My big fear, BLACKOUT dates ADDED to APs to block them from the opening of ROTR at WDW.

I hope I am wrong.
Crowds have shifted though. That is no longer an off season.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom