RIP The Great Movie Ride

BasiltheBatLord

That is really disappointing that most of GMR is being thrown out. Was hoping to see a spattering of recycled figures and props pop up places over the next several years.

FettFan

I know I've asked this before but I would really love to know what typically happens with the props when an attraction closed? Do they go away or get recycled?

Some of the more iconic ones will be saved and trotted out to fan events, like the time the Maelstrom polar bear cub and the Kitchen Kabaret crooning milk carton showed up on display at the 2015 D23 Expo.
I'm sure in this case, they'd probably save the Witch....she was the first A100 after all.

Sketch105

I don't know if they still do this or not, but, there used to be businesses, in the area, that bought up all the recognizable items and resold them to the public. Since there is more money to be made in resale it wouldn't surprise me if Disney itself went into the Sanford and Son business as well. As far as Archive, that would just be a fancy word for storage until needed. The public wouldn't be involved, however, there again, is another opportunity for a lucrative, up-charge tour. Imagine seeing the entire set of Oz just sitting there.

Theme Park Connection recieves quite a few signage, costumes, and props but usually nothing from the actual attraction unless its something unusable, like a full size attraction car.

Most of the AAs and specific props are licensed, so don't expect any flowers from Wizard of Oz or a box from the Nostromo to appear- usually the license holders ask for them to be destroyed so they don't end up on Ebay.

Goofyernmost

Theme Park Connection recieves quite a few signage, costumes, and props but usually nothing from the actual attraction unless its something unusable, like a full size attraction car.

Most of the AAs and specific props are licensed, so don't expect any flowers from Wizard of Oz or a box from the Nostromo to appear- usually the license holders ask for them to be destroyed so they don't end up on Ebay.
I don't know, but, I think if a substantial cash payment came my way as a license holder I might be inclined to not care if things show up on ebay or not.

Bairstow

I would imagine that Garner Holt will take possession of any figures that won't be immediately repurposed, being that they have the long term maintenance/parts contract for Disney's figures.

Also, is theme park connection still in business? I thought their retail location closed earlier this year.

EPCOT is no longer EPCOT. Studios in no longer Studios. Throwing out history is sad. I say take all thrill ride stuff and incorporate into EPCOT. Use studios land to make Nostalgia World.... the place they put all the old stuff....Mr Toad...20000 leagues.,..GMR....Figment......decorate with Osbourne lights...u get the idea..
Charge a reasonable amount...bet folks would go....

DisneyFreak

I will miss this ride almost as much as Horizons (almost). We were there about 6 weeks after opening back in June of 1989 and I remember waiting in line for 2.5 - 3 hours and it was sooooo worth it. The ride itself has gotten a little stale and most Cast Members don't put the enthusiasm into their performances as they once did but this is/was such an iconic attraction. The way they mixed in the live active with the AA was great.

Andsome

We were all chatting about the parks last night (my brother is going to WDW with his girlfriend in a couple of weeks, and they plan on going to HS this trip), and I started to get sad realizing that GMR is virtually rubble at this point in a park that has very little to do as it is. While the four(!) rides currently open are still all solid, it's still disappointing to realize that the glue that held the park together is no longer with us.

POLY LOVER

They could have saved some of the iconic parts, like the wizard of oz, bogey, Wayne and placed them somewhere in the park. I still say somewhere in Disney there should be the museum of things that used to be. We nostalgic folks can go and visit our favorites.

POLY LOVER

I will miss this ride almost as much as Horizons (almost). We were there about 6 weeks after opening back in June of 1989 and I remember waiting in line for 2.5 - 3 hours and it was sooooo worth it. The ride itself has gotten a little stale and most Cast Members don't put the enthusiasm into their performances as they once did but this is/was such an iconic attraction. The way they mixed in the live active with the AA was great.

Another point is the current state of the ride versus the original fully functioning ride. The ride was allowed to slowly diminish over the years. I equate it to a business that opens with real enthusiasm and they slowly goes down hill and the employees feel that vibe and respond in kind, eventually it goes under. Someone posted the video and once you view it you can see the gradual changes.

Sketch105

Also, is theme park connection still in business? I thought their retail location closed earlier this year.

Yes, they are entirely online now. A shame since I used to love visiting their store, but they definitely overpriced a lot of their items and it wasn't easy to reach.

KBLovedDisney

Listening to the news on my Google Home this morning, and heard one of the famous quotes from Casablanca.Turns out, yesterday was the 75th anniversary of the movie. The feels :cry:

zd5ra.jpg

R.I.P. GMR

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom