RIP Honey I Shrunk the Kids

Herbie

Original Poster
HISTK has 30 minutes left. GO GO GO.

I am much more saddened by this than I am LMA. I loved the film as a child, and it was such an integral part of the park in 1989. HISTK was that summer's big blockbuster. Rick Moranis attended a screening of the film (I'm guessing at the Little Mermaid theater) the day before the park opened (the same day he imprinted his hands in front of the Chinese)... I believe the film may have even premiered at Downtown Disney... Not to mention, the bee & the ant on the backlot tour.

The shrink ray was one of only a handful of props I could identify in the Prop Warehouse, and I used to get so excited at the sight of it. I really hope a Disney Archives-type exhibit opens, showcasing some of the original backlot props like the machine and the Tiki-Man from Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves (previously at Planet Hollywood).

Fun fact, the scene in Honey I Blew Up the Kid where Wayne & Diane search through a warehouse for the machine was filmed at the Disney World Merchandise Distribution Center. The exterior, where Diane crashes the van through the door, utilized the exterior of the Scenic Shop on the Backlot, I believe.

HISTK2.jpg HISTK.jpgDSC00619.JPG

doctornick

I still think this is an unfortunate loss for the park that would benefit from its continued existence. Given its location and (relatively) small footprint, is there any chance that it will remain after the makeover? It's basically next to the GMR show building, so it'll be on the edge of whatever ends up being Phase 3 -- I would think you could keep the bulk of the playground, re-theme to Bug's Life, maybe add one or two flat rides like DCA's and you have a small kid-friendly mini-land that continues the Pixar branding in the area with small cost.

Is this definitely being torn down?

wdrive

I still think this is an unfortunate loss for the park that would benefit from its continued existence. Given its location and (relatively) small footprint, is there any chance that it will remain after the makeover? It's basically next to the GMR show building, so it'll be on the edge of whatever ends up being Phase 3 -- I would think you could keep the bulk of the playground, re-theme to Bug's Life, maybe add one or two flat rides like DCA's and you have a small kid-friendly mini-land that continues the Pixar branding in the area with small cost.

Is this definitely being torn down?

Yes it's going forever.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom