Riding Segways For FREE @ Epcot

GeneralKnowledge

Original Poster
I was at Epcot today and got to ride a Segway for free. It's retty cool. It is really an indescribable feeling to just zoom along. Also, the line wasn't very long for it, I only waited for about 15 minutes. You get to do a 360 deree spin, go down a lane that is about 10 yards long, then turn around and come back. It was alot of fun and I reccomend it to everyone

NeedABreak

We did "Simply Segway" when we went and it was great. It is the shorter tour and they really just teach you to ride them and then cut you loose in the rose garden.

Next time we are going to do the full world showcase tour on segways.

Frank Stallone

If you decide to do the Around the World at EPCOT Segway tour (the one that goes around World Showcase), be sure to ask for me as your tour guide! :wave:

Blue-Lightning

Account Suspended
I've said for a while now that they should do ten minute classes on them, followed by being able to rent them for a price. They could install areas to place them at each pavillion and ride - voilah, Epcot would feel truly futuristic and the walking distances would actually be advantageous as opposed to exhausting.

BL

CrashNet

Tom Morrow's playland over in Innoventions West was converted into the new Simply Segway arena. I can't much of why it was moved, but you'll see soon enough. Anyway, there is still some work to be done to that venue, and it should culminate with the reopening of the Forest for Our Future in Innoventions East. Look for that in the coming months. :)

Testtrack321

Blue-Lightning said:
I've said for a while now that they should do ten minute classes on them, followed by being able to rent them for a price. They could install areas to place them at each pavillion and ride - voilah, Epcot would feel truly futuristic and the walking distances would actually be advantageous as opposed to exhausting.

BL

Rumor has it that some people in the Disney parks division, along with Imagineering were shown the Segway back when it was "Ginger" and decided that rental was not an option, due to safety issues and congestion. (Strolers are bad enough!)

NeedABreak

Frank Stallone said:
If you decide to do the Around the World at EPCOT Segway tour (the one that goes around World Showcase), be sure to ask for me as your tour guide! :wave:

Two questions. 1) Will you be there in September? 2) Should I just ask for Frank Stallone? :lol:

imamouse

I've done the Around the World Segway tour twice now and can't wait to do it again this Oct! I recommend the early booking to aviod as many people as possible around World Showcase (the more people, the slower you have to go).

sillyspook13

I rode a segway on my last Disney cruise. They have/had a program both on the ship and on Castaway Cay. It was $15 and you got a quick lesson followed by 15 (I think) minutes to ride around. It was so much fun!:cool:

Frank Stallone

Blue-Lightning said:

BL

In theory, you have a great idea. However, 10 minutes is not enough to be "good" on a segway. The cast members that you see riding around the park on segways went through a 6 hour class to be certified to ride in the park.

Frank Stallone

NeedABreak said:
Two questions. 1) Will you be there in September? 2) Should I just ask for Frank Stallone? :lol:

1)I should still be there in September.

2) Honestly, it's hard to request a specific tour guide. There are 3 tours each morning (possibly 4 in the summer), and the guides are scheduled a week or so in advance, but if you book the tour far enough in advance, anything is possible.

Blue-Lightning

Account Suspended
In theory, you have a great idea. However, 10 minutes is not enough to be "good" on a segway. The cast members that you see riding around the park on segways went through a 6 hour class to be certified to ride in the park.

You could make it a thirty minute class or even an hour class, but I think that Disney would make a huge profit while making Epcot seem much more futuristic. People wouldn't have to be good, they'd just have to be adequate.

BL

Eljay

Blue-Lightning said:
You could make it a thirty minute class or even an hour class, but I think that Disney would make a huge profit while making Epcot seem much more futuristic. People wouldn't have to be good, they'd just have to be adequate.

BL

Oh boy, sorry, but I have to disagree with ya there. I've taken the Around The World tour twice and I have a huge amount of respect for the power of those machines. I think people tend to underestimate them and think of them as toys since they are silent. We had a guy on my first tour that lost control of his Segway and wiped out really badly. It would be like allowing people that are just adequate motorcycle riders to mingle in among pedestrians. You could get seriously hurt if someone ran into you with a Segway.

CrashNet

Frank Stallone said:
Yeah, a 6 hour class that is NOT easy. :lol: The idea of having Segway rentals is a fantastic idea, and many, MANY guests ask about it. The problem is, the learning curve is like learning how to drive all over again...it takes some time to get used to the sensitivity of moving them.

Madison

Testtrack321 said:
Rumor has it that some people in the Disney parks division, along with Imagineering were shown the Segway back when it was "Ginger" and decided that rental was not an option, due to safety issues and congestion. (Strolers are bad enough!)

Eddie Sotto was, if I recall correctly, among those asked to evaluate the feasability of making Segways available for guests' use in the parks. He likes the machine quite a bit, but felt that the parks were not designed to accomodate the traffic and recommended against their availability.

Frank Stallone

cac2889 said:
Yeah, a 6 hour class that is NOT easy. :lol: The idea of having Segway rentals is a fantastic idea, and many, MANY guests ask about it. The problem is, the learning curve is like learning how to drive all over again...it takes some time to get used to the sensitivity of moving them.

I agree. The learning curve on Segways is not quite as quick as most would think.

Did you enjoy that ramp behind Universe of Energy/Wonders of Life they had you make the 360 degree turn on? Good times.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom