Rides with longest wait times

winstongator

Original Poster
Flight of Passage yesterday at 3:00 was 3 hours by 8:30 PM my son and daughter in law waited 90 minutes.
I consider that the most impressive ride in Orlando, and the only one I'll happily wait > 2 hrs for. Until Galaxy's Edge opens... The bar for Rise of the Resistance is the best ride anywhere, so it'll be hard to meet.

justintheharris

I see it like Frozen, which while still having some long waits are not nearly as long as when it first opened. I imagine the Ratatouille attraction is a little better as it was from scratch vs a re-theme of an existing attraction. It'll likely open with Future World in the AM making the Les Halles Boulangerie less of a secret breakfast spot.

Some of the new rides will have long waits because they are awesome (Flight of Passage), some hit a consistent sweet spot (Mine Train and Slinky Dog), some hit a hot property (Frozen), and likely some just because they are the new thing.

If you look at WDW 20 years from now, 7DMT, Flight of Passage, Slinky Dog, Smuggler's Run, Rise of the Resistance, Guardians and Tron will still be some of longest waits.
Eeeh I don’t know about Slinky Dog

Jayhawker

I believe that overall the fastpass system is great. For my upcoming trip from May 22-May 29, (yes I know its over Memorial Day which is not ideal, but this was the only time we could go, and I wanted to hit WDW one last time before Galaxy's Edge opens) we have FP's for all of the major attractions such as FOP, Slinky, SDMT, etc. The 60 day window for on property resort guests is obviously the only way to get FP's for certain attractions like FOP unless you get lucky. I went in October 2017 on a solo trip and stayed off property with a less than 30 day window as it was a spur of the moment trip. Even though I did not have all of the most sought after fastpasses, I still had a blast and was able to ride all of the rides that I wanted to except for the Navi River Journey. I ended up waiting about 90 minutes for Flight of Passage by getting in line a few minutes before park closing.
However, I still wonder what waiting times would be like if there was no fastpass. I understand that having fastpass may drastically increase the standby wait time depending on the ratio of FP to Standby and other factors such as the ride being down during the day. I do believe they are making the correct decision by not having fastpass in Galaxy's Edge. I remember visiting Disney Land in 1995 or 1996 when Indy was brand new. This was in the pre fastpass era, and I remember waiting 3 or 4 hours to ride. Granted I was only 6 years old at the time, so anything over 30 minutes felt like an eternity. :)
I still definitely believe that having the fastpass system is better than not having it, but it is an interesting debate. I agree with what some of the previous posters have said in that the best way to tour the parks is to lengthen your number of days so you have more FP's. However, I know this is not always possible.

winstongator

Original Poster
I believe that overall the fastpass system is great. For my upcoming trip from May 22-May 29, (yes I know its over Memorial Day which is not ideal, but this was the only time we could go, and I wanted to hit WDW one last time before Galaxy's Edge opens) we have FP's for all of the major attractions such as FOP, Slinky, SDMT, etc. The 60 day window for on property resort guests is obviously the only way to get FP's for certain attractions like FOP unless you get lucky. I went in October 2017 on a solo trip and stayed off property with a less than 30 day window as it was a spur of the moment trip. Even though I did not have all of the most sought after fastpasses, I still had a blast and was able to ride all of the rides that I wanted to except for the Navi River Journey. I ended up waiting about 90 minutes for Flight of Passage by getting in line a few minutes before park closing.
However, I still wonder what waiting times would be like if there was no fastpass. I understand that having fastpass may drastically increase the standby wait time depending on the ratio of FP to Standby and other factors such as the ride being down during the day. I do believe they are making the correct decision by not having fastpass in Galaxy's Edge. I remember visiting Disney Land in 1995 or 1996 when Indy was brand new. This was in the pre fastpass era, and I remember waiting 3 or 4 hours to ride. Granted I was only 6 years old at the time, so anything over 30 minutes felt like an eternity. :)
I still definitely believe that having the fastpass system is better than not having it, but it is an interesting debate. I agree with what some of the previous posters have said in that the best way to tour the parks is to lengthen your number of days so you have more FP's. However, I know this is not always possible.
They don’t do fast pass during emh, so a nice study would be what happens to wait times during those periods - controlling for time, day of week and holidays.

I agree about not doing fp+ for galaxys edge being the right choice. I wonder if at some point they reduce the portion of the capacity assigned to fp+.

Trackmaster

Especially TT if it's been broken down, but I believe Trackmaster is a proponent of the Single Rider line there.

Yeah, Disney kind of messed up by making the ride three across. That makes it tough to fill a whole row, as groups tend to be either very large, row, or four. Its very rare to find groups of three, so you'll almost always be splitting up a party. And three is small enough that when you split a party up, its hard to fill in the extra seats. So a SRL is match made in heaven for it.

Hopefully Disney has learned their lesson, and will try to avoid three across seating in the future.

PS: I have wanted to stand in the stand-by line at some point just to see the entire pre-show. But in a great twist of irony (or maybe not irony at all from what I've read), the one time I did, the ride broke down, and I ended up ditching the line altogether.

Trackmaster

Back to the debate, I think that the FP+ system is still the way to go at a park like Disney. Philosophically, Fast Pass is a virtual queuing system, FP+ is a reservation system, and no FP at all is a complete stand-by system. Really, FP and FP+ are just limiting your laps. FP+ is just being up front with you about your production, and FP Vanilla makes it a surprise, but you get to wait for the ride in the park and not while standing around, doing nothing.

Using the philosophy that FP+ is really just a lap limitation and transparency system, a way to deal with it with uber popular attractions might be take lap limitation to the extreme:

Guests on single day tickets or multi-day tickets get one lap on one or the other but not both on their ticket.
Hotel guests get one lap on both throughout their stay, two if the stay is 7 days or more.
APs get one lap on both over the length of restrictions (six months).

FP+ is blacked out on the day that you exercise your right to use the GE ride reservation.

These rules only apply for the first six months that GE is open.

I think that these rules could guarantee laps to everybody with minimal waits (half hour on reservations). And the stand-by would be available for brave souls, and would ensure that the ride capacity was being used for rope drop, close down, and times that people just weren't making reservations. I'd also want the system to be where the reservations never ran out, but you were just restricted by your lap restrictions.

The main problem that FP+ has is that guests aren't guaranteed shots at rides that they may have traveled for. And my system would solve that in the short-term. Maybe after six months, hype might die down a little, and a Tier 1 of Smugglers, Rise of the Resistance, and Slinky Dog might be enough to guarantee production at that point.

Another idea would be to replace the After Hours events for Hollywood Studios with something that just keeps GE open.

Trackmaster

I think the 10: was a typo and ment 10 to 1 between FP+ and singleriders.

I guess that the consensus here is that there's no formal ratio. Management just tells CMs to use their best judgement to drain the FP+ line ASAP. They keep an even priority when the FP+ line is a walk-on, a slight priority when its short, but not a complete walk-on, but pretty much the only priority when it gets backed up. So in reality, the FP+ just has the absolute priority over the stand-by line. But its balanced out by the line after the merge point, and of course the fact that everybody has access to the FP+'s.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom