Rides that were never built

Tayoboy

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
One thing I love researching and look at is attractions, resorts, lands, and restaurants that were never built. let's just chat about things that were never built at Disney. For me, one thing that I would have loved to have was a planned Roger Rabbit land called Roger Rabbit's Hollywood. It would have had three rides, Toontown trolley, Baby Herman's Runaway Baby Buggy, and Benny the Cab (which is now Roger Rabbit Car Toon Spin). Tell us what things that Disney never built that you wished they did.

kap91

I recently read an old issue of the E-Ticket that described the original planned Haunted Mansion walkthrough and while obviously the attraction that we ended up with is a classic and one of the best attractions ever made - but if they could have pulled off what they wanted it would have been its own pretty great attraction and I kinda want to see done today now that there are better techniques for managing groups of people and dynamically adjusting scenes if there's a backup or something. Lots of secret passages, special illusions, live actors, and a grand finale that involved the dome of the ballroom breaking in the storm and a flood of water pouring in.

I'm trying to think if there's others dear to my heart. I'd love if Western River and Thunder Mesa were built - but that's something everyone pretty much knows about.

I really wish an earlier version of the Seven Dwarves mine train was built. The version that exists is fine, but a longer layout with more scenes would have elevated it to a staple classic attraction level.

I'd love to still see all the Main Street side streets built, particularly Edison Square. Especially in Florida where the extra space, shopping, and arterial relief is needed. Main Street has never really been a fully fledged land and I think it would be interesting to see that done.

wdwfan4ver

I have many attractions in that category.

• Monsters Inc. Door coaster for DHS- Disney wouldn't do Toy Storyland as a result, but would be forced to create attractions from Pixar not from Toy Story Franchise.
  • Rhine River Cruise. This is a ride for the Germany Pavilion in Epcot
  • Mount Fuji - Roller Coaster for Japan
  • gondola ride in Italy Pavilion
  • Russia: The Bells of Change - Show for rumored Russia Pavilion that has AA's, Movie Footage, and live Actors.
  • Magic Carpet Ride in United Arab Emirates Pavilion. This was back in 1978 before Disney did aladdin and this would've been great for World Showcase.
  • Dragon's Tower for Beastly Kingdom
  • Fantasia Gardens boat ride for Beastly Kingdom
  • Quest of the Unicorn for Beastly Kingdom

goofyyukyuk

Texas Disney Park... I know it was just a rumor, but I would live within thirty minutes of a Disney park... how awesome would that be?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Where to start.... EPCOT Center?

Health and Life
Tooth Follies
The Journey Within
Space Pavilion
Mineral Pavilion with cable car and suspended omnimover
The Seas
Costa Rica
Switzerland
Denmark
Africa
Rhine River
Roman Ruins
Spain
Israel
UAE
Meet the World
Vaudeville Theatre
Thames Cruise
Alice Maze
Russia
Tron Arcade
Autopia jr
Rainforest Rollercoaster

Cmdr_Crimson

Health and Life
Tooth Follies
The Journey Within
Space Pavilion
The Seas
Costa Rica
Switzerland
Denmark
Africa
Rhine River
Roman Ruins
Spain
Israel
UAE
Meet the World
Vaudeville Theatre
Thames Cruise
Alice Maze
Russia
Tron Arcade
Autopia jr
Rainforest Rollercoaster

Epcot Project X's Discoveryland....
gemini.jpg

Goofyernmost

How can there be actual anythings that were never built. If they weren't built, they weren't rides and therefore just weren't! In the course of a day we all probably have thousands of thoughts that are never acted upon, do we carry a list of those or do we just move on to what we did accomplish? However, if it makes us feel cheated because some idea never made it past an idea, then carry on.

kap91

How can there be actual anythings that were never built. If they weren't built, they weren't rides and therefore just weren't! In the course of a day we all probably have thousands of thoughts that are never acted upon, do we carry a list of those or do we just move on to what we did accomplish? However, if it makes us feel cheated because some idea never made it past an idea, then carry on.
unbuilt attractions the public knows about are generally way more than just thoughts people had. Many had had extensive design work and construction documents done. Some were even partially built. Quite a few were announced to the public. And the ideas within often show up down the line. When discussing theme parks, their design, and their history one of the best ways to get a hands on how things operated at the time and what designers were thinking is to look at earlier stages of the creative process. It's hardly irrelevant or just a bunch of people feeling cheated. Concepts are often designed in their early stages specifically to be unrealistic in size or scope. And then others that don't make it always have extensive reasons they weren't built that can be extremely insightful.

Goofyernmost

unbuilt attractions the public knows about are generally way more than just thoughts people had. Many had had extensive design work and construction documents done. Some were even partially built. Quite a few were announced to the public. And the ideas within often show up down the line. When discussing theme parks, their design, and their history one of the best ways to get a hands on how things operated at the time and what designers were thinking is to look at earlier stages of the creative process. It's hardly irrelevant or just a bunch of people feeling cheated. Concepts are often designed in their early stages specifically to be unrealistic in size or scope. And then others that don't make it always have extensive reasons they weren't built that can be extremely insightful.
Then they would be ideas, designs and concepts that never were realized, not rides that were never built. There are probably billions of those. Heck, I might have thought up two today alone. They technically don't become rides until they, well, become rides. Different emphasis on words, I realize, not important, just an observation.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Picky picky.

:D

KraftServices

Aside from the various rides for the existing country pavilions in Epcot -

I remember the plan originally was to have some kind of Old West dark ride instead of Pirates, because Florida is closer to where pirates were and Califoemia is part of the Old West. Of course PoTC is a classic and well-loved ride, but I still think it would be cool to have some kind of journey through the Old West ride.

lazyboy97o

Aside from the various rides for the existing country pavilions in Epcot -

I remember the plan originally was to have some kind of Old West dark ride instead of Pirates, because Florida is closer to where pirates were and Califoemia is part of the Old West. Of course PoTC is a classic and well-loved ride, but I still think it would be cool to have some kind of journey through the Old West ride.
You're thinking of Western River Expedition. It was supposed to be part of a much larger Thunder Mesa project that would have included a lot more, including what became Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

FigmentForver96

Health and Life
Tooth Follies
The Journey Within
Space Pavilion
The Seas
Costa Rica
Switzerland
Denmark
Africa
Rhine River
Roman Ruins
Spain
Israel
UAE
Meet the World
Vaudeville Theatre
Thames Cruise
Alice Maze
Russia
Tron Arcade
Autopia jr
Rainforest Rollercoaster
Do you have any more info on the mineral pavilion? Maybe details about the ride?

Goofyernmost

Well one could argue that ride IS that set of ideas, designs, and such.

Arguing that a ride doesn't exist until it's built is a bit like saying a show only exists when it's being performed.
Wouldn't that be true... otherwise it is an empty stage in a theater! It is, however, the mention of a show, but, not the show itself. It exists but only when it is being performed. Before it is an anticipation and after it is a memory. It is not solid until it is actually physically happening. ;):)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom