Ridemakerz (Virgin store - 1st floor)

jakeman

Are you kidding? It has everything to do with it! Instead of that, we have this.:shrug:
Virgin is not the AC nor were their closings related.

But it is clear now that every conversation regarding DTD will revolve around the closing of the Adventure's Club, regardless if they are related or not.

Brian_WDW74

Just went through the website and looking at all the customization options (side pipes, running boards, body kits, neons, tons more) this store sounds pretty sweet. Expensive... but what at Disney isn't? I'll welcome it to DTD and see how it goes. If it only last a few months, it's better than having an empty building having people complain that nothing is in it. I hope it's up and running when I visit in June. I want to check it out.

It's scheduled to open on March 25 and operate through fall 2010.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

But it is clear now that every conversation regarding DTD will revolve around the closing of the Adventure's Club, regardless if they are related or not.
And Disney had nothing to do with the closure of Virgin. They closed all of their mega stores.

Ignohippo

I don't know if you folks are referring to my post or not, but yeah, I know Virgin closed down as a company (not PI related).

But, I don't think you can have a discussion about new retail in DTD without talking about the unnecessary wasteland of PI.

If this is just a temporary location, using only half of the space of the building, then Disney must be completely desperate to get tenants.

MousDad

DTD is a mall. It's always been a mall. It always will be a mall.

I have a couple observations about this statement that might explain why there is always a knee-jerk reaction whenever a new store or kiosk is announced:

- Does TWDC really feel that way about DTD?

- If they do, is it marketed that way?

- And whether or not it's true, you have to admit this was not the opposing argument that was so loudly and obnoxiously delivered on this site as justifying the PI closure.

MouseDreaming

This one is a little puzzling for me. You see, the one by us at Woodfield Mall (Retailers paradise), shut down right after Christmas. Sounds like putting in a proven loser. Maybe they are just looking for a filler, until a better concept/idea--albeit retail or restaurant of some sort--comes along?

On a brighter note, the car that my husband and son set out to make on the day they went and found it closed, can finally be made, if they can stick to their march 25th opening date.

jakeman

I have a couple observations about this statement that might explain why there is always a knee-jerk reaction whenever a new store or kiosk is announced:

- And whether or not it's true, you have to admit this was not the opposing argument that was so loudly and obnoxiously delivered on this site as justifying the PI closure.
Interesting questions.

I think they have always seen it as a retail location. Even when PI was active and thriving there was still the mantra of "Shop by day, drink by night". Not that exactly, but to that effect.

Oh I have no problem admitting it, nor do I have any qualms with people being disgruntled over the clubs closures. PI closure was a botched operation and if I had handled anything so poorly at my job I would have been fired.

I never agreed with that arguement. The evidence is overwhelming that Disney actively tried to kill PI and had no plan in place for afterward.

My issue is that we have a replacement, albeit temporary, in a vacant building who's closure had nothing to do with PI, and all we can talk about is an Indiana Jones' themed improv show.

PurpleDragon

It like a Build-A-Bear Workshop concept, but for boys. I think its a neat idea, but its a niche market. However DTD is probably the perfect location to have a store like this, daughter goes to BBB and son goes here. :p

TheBeatles

Used to have a store similar to this at a local mall and it was never busy and eventually closed.

I'm not excited about this store, but I don't have any alternatives. I'd much rather see the theme parks being taken care of first.

fyn

This one is a little puzzling for me. You see, the one by us at Woodfield Mall (Retailers paradise), shut down right after Christmas. Sounds like putting in a proven loser. Maybe they are just looking for a filler, until a better concept/idea--albeit retail or restaurant of some sort--comes along?

On a brighter note, the car that my husband and son set out to make on the day they went and found it closed, can finally be made, if they can stick to their march 25th opening date.

Many of the retail locations in Walt Disney World wouldn't survive in a traditional mall environment. The customer patterns are different, the spending habits of those customers are different, and repeat customers are extremely rare. The West Side has always had some niche stores, and this fits with that trend. I don't know whether or not it'll be profitable, I'm just pointing out that Walt Disney World tends to be a unique location for retail businesses.

I think this is probably a positive addition.

EPCOT Explorer

Yep, seeing that killed off a perfectly good show, for seemingly no reason, but continue to add things of little or non consequence when compared to it.
Better than the dead lady's dresses. :lookaroun
I thought of that while in class today. :lol:

I think to say that "TWDC sees" is a blanket statement. It'$ TDO that feel$ that way and will probably continue to u$e it a$ $o.

MouseDreaming

Many of the retail locations in Walt Disney World wouldn't survive in a traditional mall environment. The customer patterns are different, the spending habits of those customers are different, and repeat customers are extremely rare. The West Side has always had some niche stores, and this fits with that trend. I don't know whether or not it'll be profitable, I'm just pointing out that Walt Disney World tends to be a unique location for retail businesses.

I think this is probably a positive addition.
Woodfield Mall (Schaumburg, IL) is not your average mall. They have a Lego store, with Lego Adventure across the street, Rainforest Cafe, and other things that actually make DTD not so great for us. (We can do it 10 minutes from our house, why waste time and money there). The tour buses come from all around, so there is no shortage of non-repeat business. Another interesting thing was the location of that store. Ready for this? Ridemakerz, next to Build a Bear, next to Disney store.

Granted, Disney does try to do it bigger and better, but if tourists aren't buying it here...I don't know how long it will last. Unless they do two things:
1) build your own Cars car.
2) put in a track so you can actually race them or do something with them!

The one by us, the cars seemed destined to sit on a shelf.

DisneyLeo18

Like a build-a-bear but with cars. Great idea I think. And young boys will probably love it. I don't see anything wrong with this.

WDWExplorer

Banned
Kids (most likely boys) will be able to build their own remote control car and then race them right in the store. They will be able to create Disney-themed cars among other designs.

strictly your opinion.. I can tell you, as a father of 3 girls.. all 3 would want to do it. of course, that will probably cost a small fortune :)

jakeman

Yep, seeing that killed off a perfectly good show, for seemingly no reason, but continue to add things of little or non consequence when compared to it.
Then given that I don't take part in such illogical and irrational arguments, I'm done.

If you can't discuss the merits of a new addition at DTD in the contex of what it replaced without bringing up the Adventure's Club then there is nothing really to talk about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom