Rewards Redemtion Card

graphite1326

Original Poster
Has anyone ever tried to save enough on their Disney Rewards Redemption card to pay for their entire trip. I am thinking about trying this. It may take a couple of years but do you think it can be done?

sbkline

It can be done, depending on what kind of spending you do, and what kind of trip you are taking. If you're talking about 4 or 5 nights in a value resort, maybe, but I'm not sure you're gonna be able to pull of a longer stay in a Deluxe Resort. But again, it depends also on how much you spend per month. I don't know your finances, but you would have to spend an awful lot in order to accumulate enough points to pay for the whole trip.

So far, I have about 238 points on my card, and that's after about 10 months or so. We try to go to WDW every year and I'm hoping that by our 2013 trip (our 10 year anniversary, and we want to stay at the Grand Floridian), we will have 7 or 8 hundred dollars in points, or maybe even 1,000 if we're lucky. That's nowhere near enough to pay for the whole trip, but it may pay for all of our dining. That's a 10 night trip, either all at the GF, or split 5 nights at GF and 5 somewhere else. However, even if we went for 5 nights at Pop Century and called it good, I'm not sure that 1,000 dollars would cover the entire trip, once you count park admission for 2 adults and 2 kids, 5 nights at the hotel, food and souveniers (and that's just the Disney portion; are we counting the costs of getting there, whether driving or flying?)

But keep in mind those points expire eventually, too. I opened my account around March last year, and my first round of points is set to expire in 2015.

So basically, what I am saying is, that even though it may be possible, depending on your spending habits, your length of trip and your resort choice, to pay for it all with rewards points, I would think that it would be a very tall order to pull off.

graphite1326

Original Poster
It can be done, depending on what kind of spending you do, and what kind of trip you are taking. If you're talking about 4 or 5 nights in a value resort, maybe, but I'm not sure you're gonna be able to pull of a longer stay in a Deluxe Resort. But again, it depends also on how much you spend per month. I don't know your finances, but you would have to spend an awful lot in order to accumulate enough points to pay for the whole trip.

So far, I have about 238 points on my card, and that's after about 10 months or so. We try to go to WDW every year and I'm hoping that by our 2013 trip (our 10 year anniversary, and we want to stay at the Grand Floridian), we will have 7 or 8 hundred dollars in points, or maybe even 1,000 if we're lucky. That's nowhere near enough to pay for the whole trip, but it may pay for all of our dining. That's a 10 night trip, either all at the GF, or split 5 nights at GF and 5 somewhere else. However, even if we went for 5 nights at Pop Century and called it good, I'm not sure that 1,000 dollars would cover the entire trip, once you count park admission for 2 adults and 2 kids, 5 nights at the hotel, food and souveniers (and that's just the Disney portion; are we counting the costs of getting there, whether driving or flying?)

But keep in mind those points expire eventually, too. I opened my account around March last year, and my first round of points is set to expire in 2015.

So basically, what I am saying is, that even though it may be possible, depending on your spending habits, your length of trip and your resort choice, to pay for it all with rewards points, I would think that it would be a very tall order to pull off.

What I would like is 6 nights at a moderate. We will see how it goes. I had built up 75 in 2 months before our last trip. But I had quite few expenses at that time plus paying for the trip.

AEfx

A whole trip? That would be a lot of points, LOL.

Although I have to say I'm racking them up pretty quickly since I finally got mine. I have done a ton of home improvement lately, stick it on the card, pay it off every month, and bam, I've been shocked at the points so far just for using the card.

sbkline

What I would like is 6 nights at a moderate. We will see how it goes. I had built up 75 in 2 months before our last trip. But I had quite few expenses at that time plus paying for the trip.

When we stayed at the moderates, it was roughly $200 a night, give or take depending on the season. But just to estimate at $200 a night, we're talking about $1200 on the room alone. Then factor in your park tickets and dining, and I highly doubt that you will have that many points saved up in a couple of years. But again, I'm thinking of it based on my own personal month to month expenditures, and your's may be alot higher depending on the cost of living where you live.

WTBAD

Has anyone ever tried to save enough on their Disney Rewards Redemption card to pay for their entire trip. I am thinking about trying this. It may take a couple of years but do you think it can be done?
It is possible, but takes a while and a determined way to pay your bills. We use our rewards card for just about everything, from groceries to paying homerowners insurance and property taxes. In a littler over 3 years we've earned 1,462 points. For 5 nights at a value resort, base ticket w/park hopper and counter service meals, should cost around 2,300 to 2,500 dollars or points. (Thats for 2 people). You just need to use your card as if it was a debit card and payoff the balance each month and save your points.

pluto77

That is quite the goal, but it is possible, like eveyone said, depending on your spending habits. Make sure and sign up for all the triple rewards offers when they become available so you are maximizing your points.

minniemickeyfan

I do the disney rewards card also, but remember it is only 1% reward for the most part. At this rate, you would have to spend $100,000 on the card in order to get $1000 in reward.
I also pay the card off weekly online so I don't have a bill stuck at the end of the month.

NYwdwfan

It's definitely ambitious! I usually tell myself once I have $200 in points for the deposit I'm "allowed" to book another trip. Sometimes it works...sometimes I don't have the willpower to wait!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom