Review of the Magic Kingdom; a return visit after 25 years

25 years ago I brought my wife and two sons to WDW. It was very magical.
This week I brought my youngest son and his family which included his wife and two grand children. I was really let down. Here's the things that went wrong and the things that went right;

Wrong
1. We arrive at the parking lot at 8am. By the time I scan my pass to get in, it's 9:30. It took an hour and a half to get into the place. For starters; the monorail broke down. Instead of unloading, they just directed everyone who wasn't already on the ramp and loading docks to the ferry boats, leaving the rest of us to cool our jets wondering what the heck is going on. Finally they had us move to the boats as well. When time came to dock the boat at the Magic Kingdom, our boat caption played Sir Galent and let the next three ferrys behind us dock first. No announcement why we were just dead in the water about 100 feet from the dock while the other boats pulled in and unloaded.
2. Bag check. While not quite as bad as an East German inspection through the Berlin Wall, it was not a very pleasant experience. Our 'guard', because that was his demeanor to us 'prisoner's', was one of indifference to the point they would open things up, then not close those zippers so that everything dumped out when they shooed us along. As I tried to gather my things off the ground, they started in my face about blocking the exit of the bag inspection.
3. Card/finger print readers; there are two at each station. I grabbed the front, my wife the rear. Her's failed to read either the card or fingerprint correctly. After the guard (I continue to call these people guards because of the way they handled the mass of people) had my wife try many many tries, I told her to move up and try mine. He didn't like that, but fortunately my wife listens to me and not some brain dead goose stepper. At this second reader, she turned up 'green' first try. So I hung back. The next 2 through; same exact thing. What is that guard thinking??!! Obviously the reader was malfunctioning but he didn't care.
4. Which brings me to the next item; not caring. Over and over I saw Disney employees not caring. There was an attitude that they had my money, so there was no need to rush. For example; I stood in line for a Dole Whip for 30 minutes with maybe 15 people in front of me and only 3 of those people were served. The vendors at that location were absolutely of the attitude that there was no pressure on them to move the customer through any quicker. I saw one family finish off half their whips while waiting for the rest of their order and change returned to their cash purchase. I finally bailed on the line and went over to the Pecos Bill eating place. Only 3 in front of me there, but still took way too long to get my order. I looked back to the fellow who took my money and he could see that I was no comprehending what the problem might be since there were so few in queue. He must have signaled to the server to offer me a free strawberry lemon aid because she slid one to me, telling me she made an extra one and to enjoy on the house. As I stood there watching the servers behind the counter, it was plain to see that a sense of urgency was no where in their vocabulary or obviously in their training. They were the epitome of the classic Southern stereotype; slow and lazy appearing.
5. Not only did the monorail break down with out any consideration for those who had been their the earliest to get to the park in a decent amount of time, but so did Space Mountain and the day before at AK, the Mt. Everest ride. Hmmm... I had the distinct impression that things around Disney are getting tired, old and worn down. Not only that, but the general vib of the employees were one of no hurry or rush to get things moving smoothly. From a simple ice cream bar where lines would extend 20 or more deep, to reservation sit down meals, no one seemed to lift a finger to get things rolling smoothly.
6. Dinner at Epcot Beer Garden (No, not the correct name, but you all know what I am referring to). After being seated, finally 20 minutes after our reservation time to a 3/4 filled dining area, we were then presented with a line at the buffet at least 100 people long. Finally some server pointed out there were TWO lines for the buffet. Well, that got things moving finally.
7. Que times for FP+ and Standby weren't even close. My son and I went to Space Mountain. Sign said 15 minutes. We finally got on a rocket after 40 minutes. This was AFTER the ride broke down first thing that morning, and re opened. Times for every other ride we went on that stated more than 15 minutes were also off by at least twice that amount of time. I really don't like being lied to and that's exactly the impression I had when a sign would give me a time and it wasn't even close to my experience.
8. Going back to AK and the Mt. Everest ride; It broke down and we were turned away from our fast pass, so we went to the bird show. Side note; they sure got preachy about how humans have screwed up the life of all birds, especially the hawks who have had their numbers reduced by been shot. There is zero fact to that and I resent their implication about guns in general with that irresponsible 'lesson' to the audience. We are there to see birds perform and learn more about them in general. Not be told how rotten we are as a species towards birds the world over in deliberate acts to kill them, not just as a collateral loss due to human progress but just for wonton waste. After this 'show', we checked and the queue was back and running for Mt. Everest. Or not... We got back and there was a train, loaded with people almost to the top. We watched as these people, one by one, were unloaded and made to walk to the top of the ride and disappear into the mountain. Geez!! Not only did the ride break down, but the first train load after they got it fixed stranded the guests at the steepest part of the ride with the harrowing trial to get off without breaking a neck in the process.

Right;
1. The best attractions are the ones you would least expect; those with no wait times. Since I was sick of spending all my time waiting in lines for 40 minutes or more in the hot sun, (91 today) we spent the afternoon on attractions that had no or very small queues.
Micky's Philharmajic; just a spectacular display of 3D. My grand daughter sat on my lap and I could feel her jump as the effects sent characters and things into the audience.
Carousel; No one rushing us on and off the ride. We could stay on if we wished and keep riding.
Winne the Pooh; while the wait was over 30 minutes at only 10am (remember we didn't get into the place before 9:30am even though we got to the parking lot by 8am) the line took the kids through interactive activities that kept them quiet distracted so as to never even notice that they were in line at all.
Mad Tea Cups; another ride we were able to get right on and enjoy. The only problem with this ride is that anyone over 5 foot nothin' is gonna have trouble fitting into a tea cup. I'm 6' and my son is 6'4". Funny as we tried to get an angle where our knees could get under the spinner and butts on the bench in the cup. Ha!!
Casy's Splash Station; the kids enjoyed that greatly, especially since the ride right next to it had an hour (not a typo, a full 60 minute wait) in zero shade. I don't recall that ride's name other than it was some sort of junior roller coaster I think.
The 3pm parade was fantastic! Again, free; no FP+ needed to enjoy and the costumes were awesome. However, Anna and Elsa could only be seen if you stood on the right side of the street. I felt sorry for the kids on the other side. My grand daughter loved seeing these two.
The electric light parade.
The light show on the castle
The fire works.
The monorail
The train other than there is zero provision for strollers with a sleeping child. All strollers MUST be folded up. No exceptions.

I left there today with the impression that way too many critical infrastructures were breaking down with poor back up procedures and without any attempts to reconcile. I spent a butload of money to take us all to the Magic Kingdom at WDW; airfare, hotel, meals and of course their ticket prices. If this is the best they can do, and I have to say it sure looks that way, I won't be back. The nail in the coffin was the overall way the employees treated their customers. Transportation break downs, ride break downs, apathy on the part of vendors from everything from ice cream to sit down dinners, cattle car treatment for the parades and fireworks show.. too many eyes rolling, commands, demands, and non appreciation for the money we have spent in their theme park. I'm sure I can do better finding an entertainment business that would appreciate my money in this current economy.

Last edited:

Magenta Panther

Everest, in my opinion, is a total fail. Even when it kind-of-works (it will never fully work UNTIL THE DAMN YETI IS FIXED!!!!), it kind of sucks, because the lame parts of it cancel out what good stuff it has. Pitiful. I rode the thing four times a couple of years ago and I never even saw Disco Yeti! I'll never ride Everest again.

Tom Morrow

It sounds like you had an unusual amount of bad luck, bad timing, and bad service. It most definitely isn't always like that. An unfortunate thing about the WDW parks, especially MK, is that your experience can be rushed, crowded, and all around bad, or absolutely amazing just a day or two later. Now, obviously the goal should be consistent quality, but the crowd levels are honestly a bit unpredictable. If a park ends up being significantly more crowded than expected, it can have a snowball effect where the guests are frustrated and in a bad mood, and take it out on the cast members, who then in turn perform their jobs worse which unfortunately impacts other guests who were not taking their frustrations out on them, etc.

It might sound like a stretch, but it's totally true, one day can make a huge difference in your park experience. Or even just switching to a different park.

Couple of additional points:
- Everest is actually one of the most reliable major rides at WDW. You just were unlucky, unfortunately.
- People being taken off the train at the top of Everest are in no danger. They do have procedures for that, you know.
- Its possible that your park entrance ticket reader was working intermittently or you were the first one it stopped working for. Despite your attempt to insult WDW employees as morons, most are college educated or currently in college, or retired.
- the whole point of the bird show is that the birds are not performing or doing tricks, yeah it's a bit preachy, but seeing animals perform or do things outside of their natural behavior is not what Animal Kingdom is about. Also, is that the only other thing you took away from Animal Kingdom? Nothing on Safaris? No Dinosaur? No nature trails? Kali River Rapids?
- There are many, many, MANY factors that go into the job performance of cast members, and if there's one thing that will make anyone want to not work hard for you, its acting like you are better than them, which unfortunately the impression I got of you from some of your descriptions.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
- Everest is actually one of the most reliable major rides at WDW.
Everest was actually running a car that developed a fault with guests this week. It took a guest to point out the potentially serious issue and the car was pulled immediately.

Shame the show scenes aren't as reliable as the ride.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Sorry to hear your return visit after 25 years didn't go as planned. We've never experienced anything similar to your's, and in fact, all the CMs and Security we've interacted with have been helpful and pleasant. I'm surprised that one of the CMs with a tablet didn't intervene when you and your wife had problems at the turnstile - they are very observant and pretty quick to respond.

But I agree with Tom, attendance at the parks, especially MK, can fluctuate and I will tell you, guests get very rude and demanding when there are big crowds and I've seen some guests treat CMs like dogs. Yes, we've experienced rides that are not working (hence checking the app is always advisable for the more popular ones), but the CMs manning those rides have been helpful; if the ride is out of order during your FP time, they let you know that your FP will be good anytime once the ride is functioning again.

Given the THOUSANDS of people (including international guests) that go through those parks everyday, I think Disney is doing a great job.

harveyt0206

I personally think one of the hardest jobs at Disney has to be Security and front gate access. The sheer volume of people that come through those gates each day is mind boggling. Add to that the duty of being the person who has to tell Mr./Ms. Entitled that he/she is not permitted to enter the park with their beer/knife/other unacceptable item, all while keeping the line moving in an orderly and, yes, quick fashion....sounds like a hard job to me. If the security team stopped to zip up every bag, it would slow the line down even further, turning your hour and a half to get in to the park in to 2 hours. My experience has been that they always make every effort to keep the bags that they are inspecting upright so that the owner can easily zip or snap it back together.

Your plan to visit less busy rides, such as Carousel of Progress, during hot or busy times is smart. That is exactly what we do when lines hit their peak at MK. Lines are just a part of the theme park experience.

Disney is not the same park you visited 25 years ago...this is very true. It some ways it is better, in some ways it is much worse. I know that dropping a lot of money on a trip that is disappointing is not ideal. But to be honest, you could plan a trip to the Grand Canyon and still have an unfortunately bad time. Did your Grandchildren at least enjoy themselves? If so, then keep that memory and be happy that Disney is in your rear view mirror.

BostonJP

I liked reading your post as I also just visited MK as somewhat of a WDW novice. I thought my recent experience was quite the opposite regarding the staff. Sure, there will be a number of employees who just want to get off their feet and go home but I thought it seemed that most truly loved their jobs.

It does sound like you hit the park during a particularly difficult day - it was hot and busy, which made other guests more demanding - and perhaps your family dealt with the staff who had finally had enough.

Side note, I totally agree about Mickey's Philharmagic. My young kids don't like the loud music so I was only able to see it once, unfortunately, but I really enjoyed it.

SkiPro3

Original Poster
It sounds like you had an unusual amount of bad luck, bad timing, and bad service.
I agree. However, if it happened to me, then all the percentages in the world are for naught as it happens way too much for my personal experience. And that is what this review is about; my experience. I can't speak for others.

It most definitely isn't always like that.
I am sure it isn't. However, there was a big difference between the park's persona this time compared to the last. huge.

If a park ends up being significantly more crowded than expected, it can have a snowball effect where the guests are frustrated and in a bad mood, and take it out on the cast members, who then in turn perform their jobs worse which unfortunately impacts other guests who were not taking their frustrations out on them, etc.
I saw not a single person take anything out on a cast member. I did hear guests express their frustration to their immediate family members though. There is no excuse for a cast member to perform their jobs worse if there is an overall general bad mood. Quite the opposite in fact; it's their JOB to do all they can to turn that around. If a cast member has trouble understanding that, then more training is needed. If they understand but choose to be a poor performer at their job; to make this the happiest place on earth, then they need to be let go so someone who can perform the job's task can be hired. I know a bit about this; I worked for years as a ski instructor. (Hence my choice in name here; Ski Pro 3, like a golf pro. I had locker # 3 in the ski pro locker room.) When I was aware that any guest at the resort was having troubles, it was my job to do what ever it took to make this right for them. Forgot or lost a glove? If I saw it, we went to lost and found and got something from last season to give them, asking only that they return at the end of the day or to pass along to the next person they saw without. We were trained with a business model/plan that ensured we either made every guest's experience a positive one, or we were released from our employment. I was a ski instructor. Doesn't mean that anything that wasn't a lesson wasn't my job. I gave away full day lift passes for the worst of experiences and free hot chocolate coupons for smaller ones. Every employee has a pocket full of give-aways to make things right for the guests. Not a single time did I see anyone offer to make up for a problem they knew was transpiring. Only if directly asked was compensation mentioned. For example, only after I asked about my now void FP+ at Mt. Everest ride did the CM tell me that I could take it to another ride in the park. Until I asked, all he would say was it was broke, no idea when it would be working and to check back. That's not customer service at all.

Despite your attempt to insult WDW employees as morons, most are college educated or currently in college, or retired.
While I did say they behaved as the stereotype of a Southerner, I didn't call them morons. Their college education, if anything, gave them the attitude that they were stooping to a level that they weren't pleased with being at. The exception were the foreign nationals working at Epcot. They did their best to leave guests with a positive impression of their nation's citizens.

- the whole point of the bird show is that the birds are not performing or doing tricks,
I disagree. They made a point that they could get birds to do unnatural things like their tricks with positive reinforcement.

Also, is that the only other thing you took away from Animal Kingdom? Nothing on Safaris? No Dinosaur? No nature trails? Kali River Rapids?

No, the safari was o.k. I've seen better in San Diego. Not just a little better either.
Dinosaur! ride was way too intense for the size limitation, my grand daughter was terrified.
Nature trails are nice, especially the birds. Clean and no smells. (well, the gorillas smelled... Ha!)

- There are many, many, MANY factors that go into the job performance of cast members, and if there's one thing that will make anyone want to not work hard for you, its acting like you are better than them, which unfortunately the impression I got of you from some of your descriptions.
I never spoke to the cast members in anything but a calm and respectable voice and then at a bare minimum. I give every opportunity for their training on how to make things right with a guest to kick in as I was trained that way when I worked a resort. It just wasn't happening at WDW magic kingdom that day for us.
[/QUOTE]

SkiPro3

Original Poster
Sorry to hear your return visit after 25 years didn't go as planned.
Thank you.
I'm surprised that one of the CMs with a tablet didn't intervene when you and your wife had problems at the turnstile - they are very observant and pretty quick to respond.
We were polled twice by these folks. One as I was trying to pick up my stuff that fell when we were given the bum's rush out of the security at MK. all he wanted to know was; are we Americans, did we use apps, and something else I don't recall but of the same technical nature. At least he waited until I picked up all our belongings.

But I agree with Tom, guests get very rude and demanding when there are big crowds and I've seen some guests treat CMs like dogs.
I never saw any guest interact in any way other than positive with CM's no matter the situation.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Thank you.

We were polled twice by these folks. One as I was trying to pick up my stuff that fell when we were given the bum's rush out of the security at MK. all he wanted to know was; are we Americans, did we use apps, and something else I don't recall but of the same technical nature. At least he waited until I picked up all our belongings.

I never saw any guest interact in any way other than positive with CM's no matter the situation.

I witnessed a father screaming at a CM who was trying to help him find his lost daughter that it was Disney's fault. And when she walked up with another CM who found her outside the shop crying, did he apologize? No, he started screaming at his daughter. That is the worst I've seen, but I've seen guests be rude to CMs a lot. They are just trying to do their job and make sure all guests have a great visit. Just my observations.

SkiPro3

Original Poster
I personally think one of the hardest jobs at Disney has to be Security and front gate access. ....sounds like a hard job to me. If the security team stopped to zip up every bag, it would slow the line down even further. My experience has been that they always make every effort to keep the bags that they are inspecting upright so that the owner can easily zip or snap it back together.
Of course it's a hard job. Exactly why they should be trained in dealing with it, not reacting to it. The tables are not set up for a guest to recover from the inspection. We are at the end of the table, with no other surface to recover zipping things up. Holding a bag and closing multiple zippers caused some of our items to spill. The topper was the guard's demeanor when we stopped to recover; he was upset we were slowing things down. Then the ipad man who only wanted to ask us questions instead of lending a hand well, that was not very Disney-like.

Did your Grandchildren at least enjoy themselves? If so, then keep that memory and be happy that Disney is in your rear view mirror.
Yes they did. Grammie and I worked hard to make sure they had the times of their lives. More than Disney portrays in their ads or performed in the past. There was one CM however, who did stop us when he noticed one of our GKids had a birthday button and had us all sing Happy Birthday to her. That was nice! He should be promoted to teach how to make Disney the happiest place on earth. Good for him!!

LAKid53

Premium Member
Thank you.

We were polled twice by these folks. One as I was trying to pick up my stuff that fell when we were given the bum's rush out of the security at MK. all he wanted to know was; are we Americans, did we use apps, and something else I don't recall but of the same technical nature. At least he waited until I picked up all our belongings..

Interesting - I've never been polled walking into the park, just when we were leaving. I have watched a CM with a tablet walk over to a guest who was having a problem with their card/MB being read at the entry and handle it with the tablet. They use tablets to check for your FP+ for the Festival of Fantasy parade, so the tablets can also act as a reader. They also call me by name once my MB is read, so those tablets are pretty functional.

Jakester

Thank you.

Ohh trust me, you're lucky you haven't seen that type of guest.
Something simple like "Please turn off your flash" or "can you please smoke that in a smoking area" will make a person very very mad sadly.
I say just enjoy what you're there to enjoy.

photoflight

Wow. I go to WDW quite a lot (I'm one of those classic slow and lazy appearing Southerners, so I have a lot of time on my hands) and I've rarely had any real issues at the parks. On the rare occasion there are employees that seem to be having a bad day but they're a real exception to the rule. Unfortunate how things work out sometimes though. Truly unfortunate.

I hope at least your airline experience from wherever you traveled was smooth and enjoyable.

mrdrift

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience at WDW:mad:. At least you were able find ways for the grandchildren to have a wonderful time that they will remember for the rest of there lives :).

jambisket

Wowzer. That trip must have been a nightmare! Ive never heard of so many things breaking down. CM's have always been very helpful and happy when ive visited. Your description of people from the south was insulting. Running all the way to Biergarten:)

WWWD

You're 58 years old and haven't been in 25 years - you got older and lost the magic. Happens to the best of them. I know several guys in their 40's and 50's who just don't like to deal with crowds anymore, and it effects their whole attitude when they have to.

LilWalt

Us slow and lazy Southerners like to take our time and soak everything in.

Anybody that goes to any theme park, not just WDW, and expects things to run smooth and at a fast pace will be sadly disappointed.

Sorry your trip was not everything you hoped it would be, but I promise it's not that way all the time or the many of us that go annually would not be doing so.

Minnesota disney fan

It sounds like you had an unusual amount of bad luck, bad timing, and bad service. It most definitely isn't always like that. An unfortunate thing about the WDW parks, especially MK, is that your experience can be rushed, crowded, and all around bad, or absolutely amazing just a day or two later. Now, obviously the goal should be consistent quality, but the crowd levels are honestly a bit unpredictable. If a park ends up being significantly more crowded than expected, it can have a snowball effect where the guests are frustrated and in a bad mood, and take it out on the cast members, who then in turn perform their jobs worse which unfortunately impacts other guests who were not taking their frustrations out on them, etc.

It might sound like a stretch, but it's totally true, one day can make a huge difference in your park experience. Or even just switching to a different park.

Couple of additional points:
- Everest is actually one of the most reliable major rides at WDW. You just were unlucky, unfortunately.
- People being taken off the train at the top of Everest are in no danger. They do have procedures for that, you know.
- Its possible that your park entrance ticket reader was working intermittently or you were the first one it stopped working for. Despite your attempt to insult WDW employees as morons, most are college educated or currently in college, or retired.
- the whole point of the bird show is that the birds are not performing or doing tricks, yeah it's a bit preachy, but seeing animals perform or do things outside of their natural behavior is not what Animal Kingdom is about. Also, is that the only other thing you took away from Animal Kingdom? Nothing on Safaris? No Dinosaur? No nature trails? Kali River Rapids?

Yes, I agree with you on all accounts! I have been to birds in flight program and thought it was informative (not preachy at all), humorous, and very entertaining. They do not teach birds to do unbirdlike tricks. They help them perform naturally, no bicycle riding bird tricks. It is in keeping with animal kingdom.
I did have Expedition Everest break down for us on 2 days we were at AK, so feel it is breaking down more than usual.
Also, you DO have to fold up that stroller, even for a sleeping child. That is for SAFETY, which should be apparent to you, hence the rule. I get tired of the entitled attitude from a lot of people, and maybe you should not visit WDW again,OP, if that is your attitude.
The CM's put up with ALOT, they are human, and a nice word and smile goes a lot farther than "entitled attitude". All this is directed at the OP, but I wanted you to know that I agree with you 100%:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom