REVIEW - Docking Bay 7 Food and Cargo at Disney's Hollywood Studios

hopemax

3rd ride, TSR, droids, flying craft, alien streetmosphere, characters on catwalks, general interactivity.

And that's all what it needs. My overall impression of the land was it was boring. It was too hot to really play the app, and I wasn't entirely sure what I was supposed to be doing anyway. And it's not like I could really find a shady space to sit and try to figure it out. Certainly, nowhere the same pleasure as the WWoHP wands. It's not only cool to play with your wands, but if you don't want to spend the money, you can have some entertainment watching other people trigger the effects. I also don't understand why they didn't build Oga's as multiple, identical rooms, like Ollivander's. More room to service, but each space can have that "intimate" feel.

I was one of those kids who got an Aerospace Engineering degree, in part, because of my love of Star Wars. Read all the books before the Vong series turned me off. And if I felt the land was boring, what do people who have less interest in Star Wars think? The best part was watching the Fireworks at night. The view above the First Order Cargo building, was amazing. You could almost believe it was explosions of some sort of battle somewhere.

It's really too bad they didn't follow through. But I bet they are patting themselves on the back, for not spending the extra money instead of recognition that those were the things that were needed to make the area really come alive.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

The point I'm trying to make is that lots of this stuff that has supposedly been 'cut' was never publicly announced by Disney as being included in the land. If was not publicly announced, it can't have been cut.

Most of this seems to have been extrapolated from concept art, some seems to have come from 'insiders' who heard of ideas that didn't make it all the way to the final plan for whatever reason, but most of it was never officially announced. This same thing happened with Pandora. People got all up in arms because what they 'heard' was coming wasn't there even though it had never been officially announced. If folks continue to base their expectations on what they 'heard' was coming instead of looking at what they were officially told was coming they are creating their own disappointment.
wrong @TP2000 has clearly stated in detail in other threads exactly what was cut and promised by Disney themselves on tv and in public events.

Last edited:

Creathir

What I love is certain posters thinking that Chapek has some slow-drip plan. In reality, Chapek is one of the few Disney execs who literally does not have a clue (maybe the only one). I have been there before when he literally didn't know what a height requirement was for, nor did he understand it when it was explained to him. Significant problems with SWGE come from the fact he turned much of the design over to a story group made up of non-theme park individuals, did not put any requirements in place for capacity or guest throughput, and even cut out almost all immersive elements not part of initial construction. Chapek is a literal dunce; how in the world he ever made it to his station in life, I have no idea. You can disagree with Bob Iger, but he's still a genius in so many ways. Chapek is the opposite of that in so many ways.
While I have zero knowledge whatsoever in the veracity of your claims, if true, I find this incredibly disheartening that such a person could have managed to get themselves into such a demanding position.

Why on earth would anyone have ever elevated him to this position if he truly is that incompetent???

No Name

What I love is certain posters thinking that Chapek has some slow-drip plan. In reality, Chapek is one of the few Disney execs who literally does not have a clue (maybe the only one). I have been there before when he literally didn't know what a height requirement was for, nor did he understand it when it was explained to him. Significant problems with SWGE come from the fact he turned much of the design over to a story group made up of non-theme park individuals, did not put any requirements in place for capacity or guest throughput, and even cut out almost all immersive elements not part of initial construction. Chapek is a literal dunce; how in the world he ever made it to his station in life, I have no idea. You can disagree with Bob Iger, but he's still a genius in so many ways. Chapek is the opposite of that in so many ways.

In all fairness, Bob Iger is no genius for putting a guy with zero theme park experience in charge of the division. It shows his flawed mentality that theme parks are not unlike merchandise in that both are things you sell guests on as an extension of studio franchises. He doesn’t understand and see value in the fact that theme parks are a medium of storytelling. He even rearranged the company in a bogus structure reflecting this.

But the part about the height requirements is hilarious, and I agree, Chappie is a dunce. They spent a billion or so dollars, which is great, but skimped out spending a critical few million that would’ve greatly improved the lands performance. And that continues to be evident in the issues with Docking Bay 7.

WDW Pro

In all fairness, Bob Iger is no genius for putting a guy with zero theme park experience in charge of the division. It shows his flawed mentality that theme parks are not unlike merchandise in that both are things you sell guests on as an extension of studio franchises. He doesn’t understand and see value in the fact that theme parks are a medium of storytelling. He even rearranged the company in a bogus structure reflecting this.

But the part about the height requirements is hilarious, and I agree, Chappie is a dunce. They spent a billion or so dollars, which is great, but skimped out spending a critical few million that would’ve greatly improved the lands performance. And that continues to be evident in the issues with Docking Bay 7.

Paraphrasing here, but:

Chapek: "Why is the height requirement for this ride 40 inches?"
Attraction Lead: "Well, it's a safety measure taken for children and others to ensure that anyone who rides the attraction is within safety guidelines."
Chapek: "And why don't we just raise the seats with some mechanism to maintain compliance?"
Awkward Silence
Burbank Guide: "You know, that's a really fantastic thought process we should look into. Now, Bob, why don't we get you over here to look over the capacity numbers we have for you."

rkleinlein

Having no idea who Bob Chapek was I watched a video titled "Bob Chapek on Galaxy's Edge." That he begins by speaking corporate gobbeldy-gook about "consumer products franchises," "portfolios," "business units," "retail sales," "numbers," "investments," etc., reveals where his priorities lie. Painful to watch. I almost feel sorry for the guy.

It's astounding that somebody who seems to care more about money than quality of product would oversee an expansion that fails to accommodate crowds of people who are more than happy to throw cash at Disney--if only they could get in the door.

And he's the guy now in charge of theme parks?

Last edited:

Movielover

Having no idea who Bob Chapek was I watched a video titled "Bob Chapek on Galaxy's Edge." That he begins by speaking corporate gobbeldy-gook about "consumer products franchises," "portfolios," "business units," "retail sales," "numbers," "investments," etc., reveals where his priorities lie. Painful to watch. I almost feel sorry for the guy.

It's astounding that somebody who seems to care more about money than quality of product would oversee an expansion that fails to accommodate crowds of people who are more than happy to throw cash at Disney--if only they could get in the door.

And he's the guy now in charge of theme parks?

TrainsOfDisney

I really like the food in Avatar, but I thought the docking bay was just ok. Certainly a small step up from the other counter service options at DHS... but that’s not saying much. Honestly all of the food in Star Wars land is lacking. You’d think they would want a mini food and wine festival with different “street vendors” selling different items.

ToTBellHop

I really like the food in Avatar, but I thought the docking bay was just ok. Certainly a small step up from the other counter service options at DHS... but that’s not saying much. Honestly all of the food in Star Wars land is lacking. You’d think they would want a mini food and wine festival with different “street vendors” selling different items.
What did you eat?

Ravenclaw78

Starting to see generic tables inside Ronto Roasters...
Are these in addition to whatever was already there (WAS there anything already there, for that matter)? I don't recall having seen any pics of Ronto Roasters tables before, so I'm not sure whether you're saying that they've added/expanded a convenience (albeit unthemed so that they could throw something hopefully temporary together fast) or that they removed something themed and replaced it with generic tables.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom